Breathing while running
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Breathing while running

I leave for PI on monday. I am concerned about my running. I have made leaps and bounds in the 3 weeks I had prior to shipping (I just signed after Xmas). I went from feeling dead after jogging 2 mins/walking 2 mins for 2 miles to jogging 1.5 miles without stopping (not very fast though). The limiting factor is not my legs being tired but it is my breathing. I start panting after only a short amount of time and I do everything I can to slow down my breathing and keep it under control.

Is this normal? Does one just continue to run feeling as though they cannot get enough air to breathe?

Does anyone have any tips for me since I head out in 2 days?

Thanks,
    Bryan Clark

First let me say, good luck as you leave for PI, you'll be fine as long as you never quit. As far as your breathing, heavy breathing is supposed to happen when you are running faster or farther than your body is conditioned to go. Boot camp will build your endurance and aerobic capacity in a hurry. Some of the best runners will tell you to just run as hard as you can and don't worry about the science and all that other stuff. But, that doesn't really help you much, so I'll offer some suggestions.

The best way to improve your aerobic capacity is with long slow distance running. Unfortunately, you don't have time at this point. One problem you could have is shallow breathing. Try taking deeper breathes and do what they call belly breathing. The idea is that if you are short of breath, its not because you aren't breathing in enough, its because you aren't breathing out enough. The point is to empty your lungs out to let fresh air in. One way to practice is by exhaling as if you are blowing out a candle. Empty your lungs by pulling your belly in towards your spine. When you've blown out as much as you can, inhale naturally and fill your lungs as deeply as possible. When you get to the rifle range at PI, you will learn all about your natural respiratory pause at the end of exhaling. Expand your lower rib cage as you inhale. Some good runners will tell you to match your breathing with your cadence. For instance, breath out for three steps and in for two, or whatever works best for you. Former Marine, Dr. Miller, recommends belly breathing in his book Programmed to Run.

Another way to improve your breathing is simply by relaxing. If your muscles are tense, its harder for oxygen to squeeze into your cells.

I read a funny quote not too long ago. Somebody asked a world class runner whether they breathe through their mouth or nose. The elite runner said that he breathes everywhere and he would breathe through his ears if he could.

Bottom line: your aerbobic capacity will improve at boot camp, so don't worry too much. Keep running hard, it will get easier. Learn to relax your breathing, it will help you on the rifle range too. Try belly-breathing, see if it works. I hope that helps, pm if have questions. Good luck, see you in a few months.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    To expand on the Lt. as I can recall from those many years ago;

The concept of breathing is all about OXYGEN flow. O2 in, CO2 out. The muscles NEED O2 to do their job.
    The BLOW on exhale does help, at times. Clears out the left overs and gets fresh in.

What I found more to my benefit about breating during a run, was that it takes your mind off of the running. Chants, cadence, talking to a buddy while running... takes your mind off of it. And builds a rythm to the breathing. In on the left foot (every other) out on the right (every other).
    Then.... skip a step. By that I mean EXTEEEEENNNNNDDDD the breath time. Take 2 full strides to inhale.... 2 strides to exhale. Mix it up.

And believe it or not, the training will have you doing these things with out you realizing it. Then... one day... you'll be doing it naturally.

Good luck, Bryan! Come back a Marine!

Thanks for the responses. I think I probably will do better while singing cadences. I will try the belly breathing as well, I found some information earlier today about that. I am sure the Drill Instructors will keep me "motivated" enough to continue .

Thanks again,
    Bryan Clark

Here is a incredable technique to help your run times. My wrestling coaches taught the hole team this. When you run exhale on your left foot that should stop you from getting side aches (you know the ones on your right side). The reason for this is your liver is on your right side and when you exhale on your right foot it adds stress to your liver causing it to cramp. Breathing on your left foot takes this pressure off your liver. It works wonders.

Poolee/DEP Free Member PooleeFritz43's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I am a poolee to and we have to run an IST every month and when we do our 1.5 mile run I always sing cadence to myself because it helps me control my breathing and for some reason it takes almost a minute off my time.

Poolee Jeremiah Fritz, USMC

I was having trouble with my running until I found a breathing pattern that worked for me. If you take short fast breaths then you will get tired very quickly and this was a big problem for me, but I read an article online (I believe it was a Stew Smith article) and the article recommended breathing in such a manner as if to mimick yawning. Very DEEP and LONG breaths of air, I tried this and it worked absolutely perfect for me, but everyone is different.

If you're not well conditioned then it will be difficult to maintain a consistent breathing pattern throughout your runs and the only way to improve on this is to just increase your physical conditioning, and i'm sure your Drill Instructors will make sure that happens .

Drill Instructor Staff Sergeant Fernandez taught me a technique in receiving that seemed to help quite significantly. It involves breathing in twice in sequence through the nose and breathing out twice in sequence through the mouth. In in (nose) out out (mouth). The main thing is just control your breathing, think positively, and above all else push yourself! Your heart can’t explode from exhaustion but you can sure try to make it.

Quote Originally Posted by mrbsox
    To expand on the Lt. as I can recall from those many years ago;

The concept of breathing is all about OXYGEN flow. O2 in, CO2 out. The muscles NEED O2 to do their job.
    The BLOW on exhale does help, at times. Clears out the left overs and gets fresh in.

What I found more to my benefit about breating during a run, was that it takes your mind off of the running. Chants, cadence, talking to a buddy while running... takes your mind off of it. And builds a rythm to the breathing. In on the left foot (every other) out on the right (every other).
    Then.... skip a step. By that I mean EXTEEEEENNNNNDDDD the breath time. Take 2 full strides to inhale.... 2 strides to exhale. Mix it up.

And believe it or not, the training will have you doing these things with out you realizing it. Then... one day... you'll be doing it naturally.

Thats really good, I like the second part best and I have been trying to memorize some cadences but that second one actual wrote a new one for me so maybe this will help remember what to do AND form a rhythm.
    The tone is kinda flat if that helps you to chant it:

In on the left foot
    Out on the right foot
    Breath in (said quicker)
    Breath out (said quicker)
    Left foot (said quicker)
    Right foot (said quicker)
    Breath in (said quicker)
    Breath out (said quicker)
    Said in on the left foot
    Out on the right foot
    Skip a step (said quicker)
    Skip a step (said quicker)
    Extend your breath

repeat, but my favorite one is Follow Me, I just like the tone and its easy to remember and run with.

Heeeeeey their army! What are you doing?
    Get off your tanks and follow me
    I am marine corps infantry!
    Heeeeeey their navy! What are you doing?
    Get off your ships and follow me
    Heeeeeey their air force! What are you doing?
    Get off your planes and follow me

Goodluck

Hey, some advice . . . every other left foot, either breath in or breath out
    left (in)
    right
    left
    right
    left (out)
    right
    left
    right
    left (in) . . . .

this will not only help you breath properly, but will take your focus off the running . . .

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Do you guys call Cadence out loud when you are running? If I even whisper cadence to myself, I run out of steam alot quicker, and it adds about 40-50 seconds to my times.

I ran a the 1.5 mile in 9:34 so this works for me. There really isnt a pattern for breathing that I use, just make sure you take DEEP breathes.

The more air you get into your body, the less fatigued and out of breath you get.

Learn to breathe through your diaphragm rather than your chest and running will become exponentially easier.

swimming alot has helped me get my breathing under control. just have to find a pattern that fits yourself and then it just gets easier.

Thread Information