Are SOCOM Marines Just "Marines"?
Black Five

Here's a point for discussion today. Below, via Seamus, is an article from the Navy's Proceedings journal about the Marine force that will be a part of Special Operations Command. Prior to this new addition, the Marines were not fully "represented" at SOCOM. Sure, they took part in operations but were never an asset or resource actively managed by SOCOM - the Command that is an integral part of combating terrorists.

Marines are needed as a player in the SOCOM realm. Vital, in fact. Glad to have them on the team. But I'm not sure about the Marine Generals sticking to calling SOCOM Marines "Marines". I'm of two minds about it. I understand the mentality that every Marine is capable. And the fear that the Marine SOCOM unit would take the best recon and infantry types out of the regular Marine force. Those are the same arguments made against Special Forces forty years ago. And Rangers for hundreds of years.

Army Special Forces was viewed the same way and would have been finished in the early '60's if not for the "Special" and the green type headgear. The Army Generals wanted every Soldier to be "Special" and capable - the fact was that they were not. I doubt that every Marine would be able to join the Marine SOCOM unit. No way.

And there have been plenty of historical precendence of Marine elite units.

I was kind of hoping to have the "Marine Raiders" back. Seriously.

MarSOC: Just Call Them Marines

Fred L. Schultz

Proceedings, January 2006

The commanding general of the controversial new Marine Corps Special Operations Command--seen here in Iraq, greeting Marines of Gun 6, Battery M, 4th Battalion, 14th Marine Regiment last year—talks to Proceedings.

Not long after he was tapped to lead the first leatherneck contingent into the nation's Special Operations Command, Brigadier Geneal Dennis J. Hejlik was asked by Marine Commandant Michael Hagee if he had settled on a catchy nickname for his troops. General Hejlik nodded.

"Marines," he replied.

Later that day, General Hejlik (pronounced Hey-lik), in an exclusive interview with Proceedings, outlined his plans for the new unit, known as the Marine Corps Special Operations Command (MarSOC).

He also expressed support for the decision to finally make the Marines part of the U.S. Special Operations Command (SOCom), a move long opposed by the Corps. From time to time, he revealed bits and pieces about himself. One thing was evident. He travels light. He showed up with a staff of none.