Senator John McCain’s Bill of Rights for Terrorists
Create Post

Cool Senator John McCain’s Bill of Rights for Terrorists

Senator John McCain’s Bill of Rights for Terrorists
    Written by Jim Kouri
    Saturday, December 17, 2005

“It’s a done deal,” said the smiling Arizona senator, John McCain, after he met with the President George W. Bush and got what he wanted: a ban on interrogation techniques he and other liberals believe are inhumane or degrading.

President Bush and Senator McCain finally agreed that CIA interrogators will possess the same legal rights as enjoyed by members of the military who are accused of breaking interrogation guidelines. Those rights say accused people can defend themselves by claiming they were obeying an order and did not know the actions were unlawful. The government also would provide counsel for accused interrogators. Advocates for the ban believe that it’s better for federal judges to decide on cases involving allegations of torture or abuse.

“We’ve sent a message to the world that the United States is not like the terrorists,” McCain said as he sat next to Bush in the Oval Office. “We have no grief for them, but what we are is a nation that upholds values and standards of behavior and treatment of all people, no matter how evil or bad they are. And I think this will help us enormously in winning the war for the hearts and minds of people throughout the world in the war on terror.” And there’s a bridge that connects Manhattan with Brooklyn that’s for sale at a bargain price.

President Bush originally threatened a veto if this ban was included in legislation sent to the president’s desk, and Vice President Dick Cheney appealed to Republican senators to give an exemption to the CIA during a meeting. Senator McCain reportedly was angry at Cheney’s position, and, coincidentally, the next day saw a big story about CIA run secret prisons and torture of detainees plastered across the frontpage of the Washington Post.

Most senators’ sentiments were overwhelmingly in favor of the ban, and McCain, a former Navy pilot who suffered imprisonment and torture for five and a half years at the Hanoi Hotel in Vietnam, picked up the issue as his own.

The Republican senator--who enjoys the praise of the left and the news media--and the Bush White House have been haggling for weeks over a CIA exemption, but it became increasingly clear that McCain, not the administration, had the votes in Congress.

“We have worked very closely with the senator and others to achieve that objective as well as to provide protections for those who are the front line of fighting the terrorists,” Bush said.

McCain’s amendment would prohibit “cruel, inhuman, or degrading treatment or punishment” of anyone in US government custody, regardless of where they are held. It’s been dubbed by its opponents as “The Terrorist’s Bill of Rights.” The amendment also calls for the procedures to be included in military field manuals and other government documents.

Intelligence and interrogation experts with whom this writer spoke, believe that promulgating policies and procedures to the world, as will be done in the coming weeks, puts Americans at risk. Part of the interrogation process is the suspect’s fear of the unknown. Even U.S. police detectives acknowledge that a suspect who is unfamiliar with what interrogators can and cannot do is vulnerable to fear of the questioning process and more easily manipulated to provide key information.

“Fear of the unknown is a key component of the gentle art of interrogation and interview,” says Detective Steve Rogers, who’s conducted hundreds of interrogations.

“It doesn’t matter whether you’re interrogating a murder suspect or an international terrorist; if they’re in fear of what you might do to them, you maintain the upper-hand.”

Also, once terrorist organizations are able to obtain interrogation procedures and manuals from the U.S., they will have the capability to train terrorists on how to resist answering interrogators’ questions.

“With all due respect to Senator John McCain, being a prisoner during a war doesn’t make him an expert on interrogation. He may know about pain and torture, but what he’s pushing is ill-conceived,” say Sid Francis, a former New York City homicide detective, who’s conducted interrogations for the NYPD and for the U.S. Marines during his over 30-year career.

“What are these guys talking about when they say degrading? Hell, wearing handcuffs after being apprehended is degrading. Wearing orange overalls in Riker’s Island is degrading.”

Senator McCain and other supporters of the interrogation ban provisions say they are needed to clarify current anti-torture laws considering abuses at Abu Ghraib in Iraq and allegations of misconduct by U.S. troops at the detention center at Guantanamo Bay. Of course, time after time allegations have been leveled against Gitmo military personnel, but there exists no evidence that detainees are mistreated there.

They also say that passing such legislation will help the United States repair an image they say has been tarnished by the prisoner abuse scandal. Apparently looking good to the adherents of political correctness is more important than getting information from a terrorist that could save American lives.

McCain believes these actions will strengthen his position as a viable Republican presidential candidate in 2008. He believes that getting good press from the likes of the New York Times and ABC News will carry him into the Oval Office. After all, McCain is the news media’s favorite blowhard in the Republican Party. They love to call him a maverick, as if the definition of maverick is “kissing up to the news media.”

Now that Senator McCain has achieved his victory on this issue, he will now set his sights on another troubling issue: extended constitutional protections to terrorists. McCain believes, for instance, that detainees being held in Gitmo should have access to U.S. federal courts and have all the protections and rights of U.S. citizens.

McCain shares a strategy with several other Republican senators to move the GOP to the so-called center. There is no center. The word centrist is a euphemism for siding with the left. And John McCain and his brand of Republicans are siding with the left on this and other issues.

About the Writer: Jim Kouri is the vice president of the National Association of Chiefs of Police, and is a prolific writer for police and crime magazines. He has appeared on The Oprah Winfrey Show, CNN, MTV, and Fox News, and his book, "Assume the Position," is currently available at Amazon.com and Booksamillion. To recieve his newsletter, write to JimKouriReports@aol.com, or visit his website at jimkouri.us.

Ellie

I'm still trying to figure out which side this short little piece of **** is on. I wanted him to know we should start issuing teddy bears to the towelheads we capture and also sit their ass on fluffy pillows so they don't get cainroids.
    This ******* is a piece of work. "The Terrorists Bill of Rights" by john boy mccain. I heard he is also working on making the U. S. Military use rubber bullets in their weapons (the terrorists still get to use the real thing).
    This ******* should be in a rubber room.

SEMPER FI,
    OLE SARG

I guess they dont believe in an Eye for and eye or a tooth for a tooth anymore or the old saying do unto others before they do you...

No, we don't believe that, hrscowboy. We cannot talk out of both sides of our mouth. If the US is going to take the lead and extend the 'beacon of freedom' to these brutal nations, then we must step up to the plate and take the lead. By example.

If the US is going to overthrow an authoritarian dictator in no small part because of his torture, we must not act the same way.

If the US is going to call itself the model for the rest of the world to follow, which I think that we are, we must always act better than those that we seek to reform, otherwise our sacrifices are all for naught.

As a side note, John McCain is against torture because he served with extreme dignity in war, and was held for 5 years in a POW camp. He was given the opportunity to go free about 3 years in, but refused to leave his comrades behind. Senator McCain knows a thing or two about war and what it means to sacrifice.

The U. S. cannot "take the lead by example" if it continues a policy of pampering and catering to our enemy!!!!!!!!!!!

The U. S. of late, with help from our left media, has set the example of the tail wagging the dog!

Don't kid yourself about mccain, he has a political agenda in mind for all the dumbass **** he is doing, including "The Terrorist's Bill of Rights". I don't think it will help him get his party's nomination for president. I clump kennedy, kerry, durbin, and mcain all in the same bag.

SEMPER FI,
    OLE SARG

Windle when you earn the title and if you become a combat vet then I might listen to your comment. In my war it was an eye for an eye and tooth for a tooth and as far as i am concerned we dont need to start pussy footin around just to make some other country happy. The buttom line if where going to be the worlds police department then these other countries need to understand you punch us in the face be ready to die...

hrscowboy- Point made. I'll respectfully decline to comment further. You are right, I speak in the abstract and you guys have seen it firsthand.

Credits
    Savings
    Windle, you must understand that many people here have been there first hand. Although I did not serve in combat, I have earned the title of Marine. If you successfully complete the transition (I viewed your profile) to Marine, you will better understand what these Marines are talking about.

I will say that you have been most gracious with your apology, and I do respect that.

Semper Fi, and good luck in your pursuit of the EGA.

Ron

Windle maybe i was alittle too hard on you from the git go. I understand your feelings and beliefs at the point where you are now, but trust me once you earn the title you will see exactly what i am talking about. Our Beloved Marine Corps is the most feared Miltary in the World and when the Marine Corp is called in on the scene all the talking and bullcrap is over because these countries know were there to do one job if it means kill or be killed thats our Job. If you think that other countries are going to quit using harsh procedures against our men and women in uniform your mistaken because that is not going to happen. War is war thats the bottom line and like i said these countries that take a punch at the USA better be ready to pay the ultimate price.. Good luck to you on earning the title...

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Windle has it just about right.

Thanks for the words of encouragement.

Thats great....Im glad you guys have hugged it out and are best friends again.lol.. but I still agree with the Ole sarg and the Cowboy. Who gives a ****e about a terrorists rights. I dont . This is not a conventional war and it wont be. All theese tree huggers and peace acitivists need to start to understand that. .....Terrorist rights???????? give me a ****** break...

I don't understand much of this mccain law. All I know is.....If we're gonna "win" this "war?" The American Forces must be able to use whatever methods they have at their disposal without anymore dat blame restrictions. It is like in Nam (land of Oz) "Free fire Zones?" Anybody remember these? They could shoot us, but we couldn't shoot them. I say to the dimwits on the hill. (I understand mccain's thang, as he was a POW and tortured, to this extent) But....we either fight to win, or let's get the hell out. Do the ragheads go by the Geneva Conv? I don't think so when they've beheaded our People. And has mccain lost his mind? Doesn't he remember 9-11? I wish Harry Truman was still around and President. He darn sure wouldn't put up with mccain's ********it. If the Politician's keep runnin' this war? It'll be another Nam. And. When we leave, if by victory? You watch what happens. "YOU CAIN'T FIX STUPID!!"

I agree with you SSgt.

Thread Information