Clever shoplifters can't outrun U.S. Marines
Create Post

Cool Clever shoplifters can't outrun U.S. Marines

Clever shoplifters can't outrun U.S. Marines
    David Sutta
    Last updated on: 12/16/2005 6:18:21 PM

FORT MYERS — The shoplifters were clever, but in the end they couldn't run faster than the U.S. Marines.

A Miami couple is under arrest for using a novel shoplifting technique at the Edison Mall Thursday.

Police say William Beltran and Shairalee Delgado stuffed their bags with $900 worth of clothes from Express.

But it wasn't just any bags – they are called "boosters." Lined with special material, the bags prevent store theft alarms from going off.

"In my five plus years of work I haven't come across these. I know as a department we have seen these. It's not common in this area," said detective Victor Medico.

Medico showed off the merchandise Friday, including the alleged thieves' handbag.

"Looking from the outside, you wouldn't really know. But when you look inside the purse, the lining is ripped. And if you open the lining, it reveals the material they use to deter the sensors," Medico said.

Beltran might have gotten away with the clothes if not for loss prevention officers with The Limited, Express's parent company. They recognized Beltran from a mug shot in Tampa, where he is accused of doing the same thing.

When they ordered him to stop, police say he started running.

Beltran made it past two Lee County deputies and mall security. But as he crossed U.S. 41, he met his match.

"We saw officers chasing him so we took off after the guy because the officer was far behind," said Private Ryan Pitts of the U.S. Marine Corps.

Pitts and PFC Shane Ailant just returned from boot camp a few weeks ago. Up against the new recruits, Pitts said Beltran stood no chance.

"No sir, not at all, sir," Pitts said.

The Marines chased Beltran nearly a mile before cornering him.

"We yelled, 'Stop! U.S. Marines!' He stopped and [Ailant] stood behind him and I stood in front of him. He wasn't going anywhere," Pitts said.

The war on shoplifting is another front the Marines apparently are fighting this holiday season.

Beltran and Delgado face third degree felony charges, punishable by five years in prison. Beltran is from Columbia, and officials say it's likely he'll be deported as well.

Ellie

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    ... all ways on the alert, and observe everything within sight and hearing !!

Well done my young Brothers

orahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh my Marine brothers win again...

Registered User Free Member Catz1611's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    THAT was Awesome!
    Good On em!

Credits
    Savings
    OUTSTANDING!!! Another great job by our newer Brothers.

Ron

Thread Information