Is It wierd
Create Post

Thread: Is It wierd

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Is It wierd

That'll I'll be 17 when I go to bootcamp when I come back I'll be 17...10 days after that I'll stil be 17..

I could go to war but still cant buy me a pack of smokes

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

not really...

I was in MRP with a kid who had broken both his hips and he was only 17, got sent home at 17 was able to walk again by the time he was 18 though... you have more important things to worry about poolee

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you

i find it weird too

Hey I'm 17 too bro. I ship on Sept. 11th and I'll get back on Dec. 8th...I don't turn 18 until Jan. 7th so I know how you feel. I'm confortable with it but I'm going with the knowledge that I'll be one of the youngest there.

Poolee that's very funny. Kind of reminds me of myself. There are pluses to going in so young. I was also 17 when I enlisted/went to bootcamp. Now at almost 22, I'll be a "SERGEANT OF MARINES!" OOHRAH! It's not all that bad trust me! LOL Stay moto.

WTF do you need a pack of cigarettes for?

I went into boot camp, through MOS training and on to my first duty station as a 17 yr old. I was stationed in places where ya had to be 21 to drink. I survived and you will too. In fact you will survive a lot longer if ya just plain don't smoke ( my heart fart convinced me to quit, again, for the 3rd or 4th time, maybe more) I quit for the last time on January 30, 2005 adn I hope to never start again.

As a young 18 and 19 yr old I was the youngest Marine for the first TWO Marine Corps Birthday Balls that I attended, meaning I got the 2nd slice of cake after the oldest Marine present. It can have it's advantages. You have a lot of living to do, so worry about what is really important and not the little crap...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    you can't even buy beer

lol....no i dont think its too weird but i do think its pretty cool.

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Quote Originally Posted by Camper51
    WTF do you need a pack of cigarettes for?

I went into boot camp, through MOS training and on to my first duty station as a 17 yr old. I was stationed in places where ya had to be 21 to drink. I survived and you will too. In fact you will survive a lot longer if ya just plain don't smoke ( my heart fart convinced me to quit, again, for the 3rd or 4th time, maybe more) I quit for the last time on January 30, 2005 adn I hope to never start again.

As a young 18 and 19 yr old I was the youngest Marine for the first TWO Marine Corps Birthday Balls that I attended, meaning I got the 2nd slice of cake after the oldest Marine present. It can have it's advantages. You have a lot of living to do, so worry about what is really important and not the little crap...
    Yea most things you said was right
    I think it's more positive then negative.
    Thanks OOOHRAH!!

I don't know what smoking has to do with it, but it isn't wierd at all. Of course, the three months you are in boot camp would be a great time to drop the habit for life. There is no reason to do something that you know will kill you eventually unless you're just too stupid to understand the consequences. It is difficult to stop, many people try and fail. But, if you haven't done it in three months, the addiction is gone and its just a mental thing at that point.

This very topic has been a pet peeve of mine for a long time. I too find it difficult to believe that we as a country can send someone to combat that can even buy a beer or a pack of smokes not to mention vote yet.

I was 20 when I went in to the corps and was considered to be and often referred to as an old man LOL. At that time a Marine could have beer at the E-club and many spent their entire pay check there most of the time. About the time I was getting out most all military stations here in the states were requiring that you had to be 21 even on base in the E-Clubs.

Keep in mind that this is mostly me venting on a topic as I do not encourage anyone to smoke or drink nor do I think that you should have to be 18 or 21 to serve your country but I do find it disturbing that you can go to combat and not be able to legally purchase alcohol or tobacco products or even be old enough to vote yet.

Talk about a breach in child labor laws LOL

Just my two cents worth.

Semper fi

While a Marine under the age of 21 may not be able to buy alcohol on base, I can't recall any Marine being unable to have a drink.

Thread Information