why joining the military - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by outlaw3179
    Both the Navy and the Marine Corps fall under the same department. We just happen to be the mens department .
    AND THE NAVY WEARS....BELL BOTTOMS...

Credits
    Savings

Question Marines or army???

As I would say to my kids and grandkids, "Dude and Dudette, "what are you thinkin,'?"

Unfortunately my one son has a medical condition that won't allow him to join the Corps, but he would join in a minute. Coming form a military family, my Dad was career Air Force, he knows how I feel about our Country, and the Honor to serve. He absolutely admires the Corps and its values, which I have instilled in him, and his sisters since the day they were born. (As for my three daughters, one is a CPA, one is an R.N., and one is currently in college studiyng to become a teacher at NIU).

'Nough rambling about me. The big question is, WHAT DO YOU WANT OUT OF YOUR LIFE? If you choose to leave college and join the military, what are you after? Excitement, adventure, "A soldier of one?" Then join the army. (A'int Real Men Yet,). Or join the Corps, where you will learn that you are not a "soldier of one", but a member of the greatest fighting force that the world has ever seen.

I could keep going and going but ultimately the decision is yours. Search your heart, and base your decision on that. Good luck, don't rush your decision, and be happy with the path you chose.

Semper Fi.

Ron

Registered User Free Member magicalx's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Joining the military is a decision that sometimes cannot be explained. Everyone does it for a variety of reasons...whether it's for the college money, adventure, travel, patriotism...but one thing is for sure...for those of us that have made the journey, this is what it comes down to:

"When I go back home, people ask me, "Why do you do it man? What are you some kind of war junkie?" You know what I say...I don't say a f*cking thing, because they don't understand. They don't understand that it's about the man next to you. That's all it's about."

Having the life of a friend in the palms of your hand is an experience that the Marine Corps can offer in ways that no other service can.

Semper Fidelis

Registered User Free Member lovdog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Why the Navy looks down on Marines?

Exactly the opposite! Most of the time the Marines are looking down at the Navy because most of them do not have the physical conditioning that the Marines put you thorough. Because the Marines are a branch of the Navy, some of the schools that we go to are mixes classes. There were about 13 Marines and about 40 Squids (Navy personnel) in our Parachute Rigger school at Lakehurst, New Jersey. Most days we would go on a 3-5 mile run to get our legs in shape. I can remember picking up a few squids that were winded and throwing them over our shoulders and we would just keep on running down the road.
    Now, the part of the Navy that almost all Marines look up to are the Navy Corpsman. These are the guys that travel with the Marines everywhere we go and have proven over and over their bravery in combat situations. There have been many that have given their life trying to protect a fallen Marine, thats why they are held in such high reverence.
    But, overall, I wouldn't be caught dead in bell bottom trousers and that little white hat that the Navy wears. And most of all, blood doesn't look well on a white uniform - its undignified!! On green and blue jackets its not as noticeable!!
    By the way, in the Navy's defense. They put us through some pretty tough water courses - only 9 of our whole class passed those - they were pretty nasty as I recall.
    And lastly- why would anyone want to wear an Army uniform-has no class, hangs down & wears like "last night's dogs dinner" - just isn't my idea of a uniform that looks and makes you feel good like the Marine uniform. It wrinkles in the back and has some dumb looking chevrons, and a badge on the right side that informs the wearer of his name - in case one forgets who he is.

ARMY (Aint Ready for Marines Yet) ... Regardless of what you choose ... Marine Corps training is the hardest because it has to be, its required that your able to do it if your going to be a Marine ... other branches? its easier because requirements are lower. We dont need people that are going to be crying scared, and calling for there moms in the middle of a battle.

Credits
    Savings
    Now, the part of the Navy that almost all Marines look up to are the Navy Corpsman. These are the guys that travel with the Marines everywhere we go and have proven over and over their bravery in combat situations. There have been many that have given their life trying to protect a fallen Marine, thats why they are held in such high reverence.
    Never once did our Medics buy a round. It was something that just wasn't allowed.

In the end it really does not matter which branch of service you choose as we all support each other. It takes all the branches of the service to win a conflict/war and that is the bottom line.

Serve your country and be proud to do so.

Credits
    Savings
    If you make it and earn the title, you'll be much more prouder of yourself in knowing you've accomplished something not many people can. But if you want to be part of the any and the many, that's fine too, nothing against that. Me personally, I have pride in knowing that I can look down on our sister services. Seeing how nasty they are, I know that I am a cut above. On the streets, I get a lot more respect when telling them I'm a Marine, everyone's so interested in my life. Many people talk about being in the Army, trying to take pride in that, but there's just no interest in the Army anymore, at least what I have found. Everyone wants to know how life in the Marines is, where I have been, what I have seen, and they always ask me about boot camp. I'm glad I chose the Marines, but the Marines aren't for everybody.

msf
    Guest Free Member
    lorix, do you look down upon the rangers, green berets, delta forces, airborne divisions?

Well if it will help any the Marines will give you the selfrespect and dicipline to do anything you want in life, I know since I got out I started out on my own I have lived on the streets at first and worked my way up, I now have a wonderful wife & 2 great kids and, my friendships that I made while in the corps will last for ever I am still intouch with them & looking for others. Thats been 20yrs now, we have been forged like a fine sword never to be broken & when I meet a fellow Marine, we always have that bond and can talk for hours my Dad was a Marine as was my brother & alot of family we have had a Marine in every battle or conflict as far back as my Grannie can remeber,SF

I doubt any Marine looks down apon the Rangers, delta forces, airborne or w/e ... i just dont think a Marine Compares his line of duty or what he has been through with a other branch. They are all patriotic, and atleast man/women enough to serve in there country in some way. Personally i talked with a Army Ranger, found out he had been in vietnam -- i told him i was enlisted into Marines and he shook my hand, and we talked about 2 hours about Military ( i had just literally met the guy ) id never look down on him.

Credits
    Savings
    msf,

A Marine will NEVER disrespect another member of our military. It's just that our basic training is far superior to any others. The people that you named have had advanced training. It would be like comparing me, a former "Winger", to a Recon Marine. No comparison. I cannot do his job, he cannot have done mine.

What ALL Marines can do is pick up his or her weapon and mow the grass on the front lines. Regardless of our MOS, the thing that sets us apart from the other branches of our military is that we are qualified (albiet, with some refreshing for some, myself included) to hit the ground running, and ready to kick some a**. We are trained warriors, and we will always demand that respect from our "sister" services. That's why we are MARINES!

Ron

Registered User Free Member CplClark's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    look into PLC platoon leaders course, the marines will pay for your college and start your traning to become an officer, not sure on the details but dont let your college go to waist.

Hey I tell you....i am a young Devil Dog and I don't look down on any branch I just like picking on them. but If i had the choice to pick again I wouldn't choose any other branch. Marines have given my alot of confidence I didn't have before. I know I didn't slack off in boot and I am proud of what I went through and hope the Future recruits gets the same training I did. If I could pick for you I would defentaly go with the Marines. but like I said It is all your choice

Credits
    Savings
    P.G.,

Well stated, my young Marine. Keep motivated, and continue to keep your positive attitude.

Semper Fi

Ron

Thread Information