why joining the military
Create Post
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    msf
    Guest Free Member

why joining the military

lately i have been considering joining the military alot. with a choice only between marines and the army. i have yet to decide what i want to go into, but after reading this forum i think im going to try and make the passage to become a marine. i know it wont be easy, it wont even be close to being easy. but i have had enough of being a civilian. right now im a sophomore in college a big university, and just dont think i belong here, i could be doing so much more stuff with my life.

the one thing that completly puzzles me however is this. people that look down upon the marines, or the military in general. WTF ARE THESE PEOPLE THINKING?!?!?!?!?! if i had two job applications and saw one was a marine, bam, hired on the spot. how can people talk about veterans, i try my best to be as respectful to you guys as i can, and in the future, i hope people will do that for me. i have the upmost respect in everyone that has been in the military.

id just like to give my 2 cents in about that. thanks for reading. i hope one day i can become on the few and the proud.

FYI msf-When spelling Marine, capitalize the M. I'm just the wife of a Marine and did not go thru boot, therefore do not carry any rank. I couldn't give you any advice, because I have not "been there". All I can say is if you trying to decide between Marine & Army-Go for Marine.
    This site is filled with good advice, so read what these guys/gals have to say.

If you for Army youll regret not Enlisting in the Marines. Marines are much more harder and have much higherstandards and much much more discipline. They are more effecient killers, and the warriors of this nation. Army isnt bad or anything but it doesnt compare to the Marines.

Marine Free Member p8ntballsnipr1's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    Thats right tallboot, tis all about the Marines with a capitol M!! Marines are here to sreve with the best, Ive said it before and ill say it again, If I go I want to go with the best of the best, The Marine Corps the Army with all respect due to Marine Soldiers on this site, but they way i was brought up was the Army was byfar easyier than the Corps, Espirit de Corps means alot to me becuase i was brought up by Marines. still jsut a poolee with 8 months left i cant really give u advice about the Corps or the Army, but hell

if you want to be an Army of one....then go for it

but if you want to be a Marine ... then you have to EARN it!

and if that just dont say it all, ask a Marine on what to do

Semper FI till the DAY I DIE!!

There will always be people who, to use your words, "look down at Marines", with out any doubt the most common reason for that is, they dont have what it takes to become a Marine, so rather than stand up and be something close to a man, and say, I dont or didnt have what it takes to me a Marine.. they "look down at Marines".. Speaking from the Marine end of that stick, we love those folks, they are a great source of entertainment, were else could you find so many people willing to stand up and make a arsehole out of themselves! our history and tradition speaks for itself WORLD WIDE.. what have they done lately? LMAO...

(For more indepth info see: Sigmund Freud, subheading, SOUR GRAPES!)

I was in the Corps from 1969 to 1973, working on aviation electronics. After '73 i was in the army national guard for 3 yrs, and in 1980 fid 4 yrs in the Navy. Pick the Marines, my friend! There is no comparison

As for people down on the military? If i had a double PhD in Sociology and Psychiatry, i still couldn't figure out those whose very freedoms depend on our miltary and still bad-mouth the armed services.

If you want the Best, be a Marine.

Registered User Free Member lovdog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Why join the military

I see that you are in college, sophmore year - two more years to go for the diploma. You've gotten a "call from the wild" and you think that you're missing out on all the "fun" that the military has to offer? Why can't you do both - the military and college? Matter of fact, my son is currently in the Air Force Security Forces and finished his last 3 years while in the military. It took him 5 1/2 years to do it, but the nice thing about his situation, (which I have to keep reminding him) is - now he has a quality education and "doesn't owe a dime"! Its been completely paid for - compliments of Uncle Sam and the military. Up until a year ago he had intentions on becoming an officer but sometimes there are persons (military or civilian) that can "crush a dream" in a heartbeat. Irregardless of your intentions, you still need your education, not only for yourself, but for all the persons that you come in contact with, especially the Marines. Ever hear of the phrase "either lead, follow, or get out of the way"? Well, the Marines are always in need of a good leader. Once you decide what you want to do - "set a goal" and make it happen, its that simple. Joining the Marines was the first real decision that I made on my own. People tried to talk me out of it of course, said I was crazy, believed it was a stupid idea, etc. Then it becomes a battle in ones mind to prove all the disbelivers wrong. Its a very small percentage that join the Marines actually compared to the rest of the services because its not for everyone - just the ones that have to prove to themselves that they are above the ones that said they couldn't do it! If you enjoy a challenge then this is the right place! You'll come out of it a better person because of the disipline and pride that they instill in you. Once you finish with boot camp and advanced infantry training you'll have a good background to start dealing with life in general. Thats when you can go out drinking with all your new buddies, jump out of airplanes without a parachute, attack a tank with a k-bar knife, take on 10 of the Army's best and not even work up a sweat!! Oh, to be your age again and know what I know now!!! I wish you well.

As One Of Our Brothers Said Not Long Ago,the Marine Corps Is The Only Military Service That Calls It Self For What They Are..."MARINES" The Army Has Soldiers, The Navy Has Sailors, The Air Force Has... Well, What Ever They Have, The Point Is, Marines Have Marines, Nothing Less Than Perfection Will Do, In Your Right Hand, You Have An Army Of... One, In Your Left Hand You Have The Most Feared, Fighting Force In The World, THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS, I Don't Think The Choice Is A Hard One To Make, Unless Your Not Up To The Challenge, But, Your The Only One That Can Make That Call.

msf
    Guest Free Member
    i think that i am going to put school on hold next year, which would be my junior year and do something different. whether it be the Marines or the Army. Either one is a good way to get my on a right path.

why does the navy "hate/look down upon" the Marines. i would have no reason as to think why they would

very good point Tallboot.
    msf- the military is a very good career to have and you'll go far in life with it. well here's my 2cents about what branch to choose. i'm not just saying this cuz i'm a Marine recruit but from experience. i think if you're choosing between army or Marines, you should go with the Marines because they are not going to promise you anything or any job like the army will (and the only reason i know that is cuz my sister was enlisted in the army, but she never went to boot camp cuz they screwed her over before she left). the Marines are a very elite branch and they don't just let anyone in, you have to earn everything you get but most importantly you have to earn your EGA and then and only then can you call yourself a Marine. Marines are highly resepected by most people who believe in the military, they are the ones who get sent to take care of a job while the army gets sent in to do clean up. hopefully you figure out what you want to do, good luck.

"The President's Own"

...thats all I need.

Wake up every morning, just another glorious day to serve the Corps!

Do you want to better yourself and stand out or just mix with the crowd?

"Uncommon Valor was a common Virtue"-Admiral Chester Nimitz

over and out,
    PFC Welbaum

why does the navy "hate/look down upon" the Marines. i would have no reason as to think why they would[/QUOTE]

LETS LOOK AT THIS SHALL WE?? THE UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS IS THE MOST FEARED FIGHTING FORCE IN THE WORLD, THE NAVY WEARS.....BELL BOTTOMS, ANY MORE QUESTIONS.

Navy Training involves cups of tea and late nite television -- im not going to disrespect the Navy or anything, My Grandpa was in WW2 (fireing shells at japan) dont expect the navy to get off there boats and grab a gun and run into the battle field and do somthing. Airforce and Navy are basically for college money and rescue missions. Marines go Air, Land, Sea by thereself. -- As for your question you are a sophomore in college -- you could just finish out college and go to OTC and become a Marine officer, your call ...

Navy Training involves cups of tea and late nite television -- im not going to disrespect the Navy or anything, My Grandpa was in WW2 (fireing shells at japan) dont expect the navy to get off there boats and grab a gun and run into the battle field and do somthing. Airforce and Navy are basically for college money and rescue missions. Marines go Air, Land, Sea by thereself. -- As for your question you are a sophomore in college -- you could just finish out college and go to OTC and become a Marine officer, your call ...

Both the Navy and the Marine Corps fall under the same department. We just happen to be the mens department .

Thread Information