Disqualification. Bullcrap.
Create Post

Disqualification. Bullcrap.

Ok so, I'm in a situation I'd rather not be in. I have always wanted to be an MP. I'm all for joining the Corps and everything, I haven't been to MEPS yet due to the fact that I do not want to get DQ'd from getting MP. Theres a reason: Im not going to get into details but let's just say that I can't see the number in "the circle". Yep. It really sucks. And according to the requirements form MP, You must have normal color vision. Something I seriously doubt I have. My heart is set on 5811 (MP). So yeah, I don't know what to do...

Can I still, miracously, get MP? Like I said, The only thing stopping me from going to MEPS is the fear that I won't get MP. Any help. advice, info will do.

I had a similar problem. I wanted to do fire crash rescue under aviation support and I couldn't because of normal color vision, when my recruiter told me I could be intelligence, I figured it sounded cool and would be something new and interesting. I also figured I could do vol. fire work while on base or something. I would ask the recruiter if things like that can be waived, if not, then if you still want to be a Marine, then choose something else that might interest you, and then maybe it'll be easier to get MP by doing a lateral move. And if not, then I'm sure being a Marine will get you close to a career in police work out of the military (if thats what you want).

~Joe

Good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by GearheadJLM
    I had a similar problem. I wanted to do fire crash rescue under aviation support and I couldn't because of normal color vision, when my recruiter told me I could be intelligence, I figured it sounded cool and would be something new and interesting. I also figured I could do vol. fire work while on base or something. I would ask the recruiter if things like that can be waived, if not, then if you still want to be a Marine, then choose something else that might interest you, and then maybe it'll be easier to get MP by doing a lateral move. And if not, then I'm sure being a Marine will get you close to a career in police work out of the military (if thats what you want).

~Joe

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Some of our Law Enforcement types will know for sure, but I think even civilian police forces require good color vision.

GearheadJLM is right. The Corps will find you a good MOS that serves our interests and also makes you happy.

I served with a Marine that had his MOS disqualified, so the Corps set him to work programming computers. He's in Cleveland now making good cash.

Hmm, Times Have Changed. Green Side, Brown Side Out. Lol I Am Colored Blind But Had M.p. Duty. Must Have Been In The Dark Ages. Gee, Telling My Age Again. Go For What You Can And Will Like. Intell. Sounds Good To Me.

My husband who also was a marine was an MP. He is color blind, it didn't seem to be a problem.

Registered User Free Member lovdog's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Want to become an MP!

You know, sometimes what a person wants is not necessarily what one ends up doing - especially when it comes to the military. As I recall, most Marines have 2 M.O.S."s - the first is a rifleman and the second is what ever it is that becomes your "major" occupation. Is it still ??- about every 6 months or so they put you on either K.P. or Guard Duty?? Well, I didn't want to "be" a guard!!! And I sure didn't want K.P.! I took the lesser of evils - Guard Duty. I liked that better than cooking!!When I went overseas, when all my work was done - I used to help the ordancemen load bombs, rocket pods, napalm on the planes, I helped the mechanics and ejection seat men, even helped get a pilot in the plane that had a little too much to drink at the club, and yes, even guard duty!! Theres always someone that needs a hand. But I do know how you feel! Me and a buddy - both of us jump qualified wanted to join "aerial delivery" on our "time off" - we worked 12 hour days-7 days a week overseas. We talked to the Staff at Aerial Delivery and he begged us to try to get our lieutenants to sign our jump orders because he was so short handed and needed to have someone jump with the cargo from a C-130. Then they would fly us back to base by helicopter after loading the cargo chutes, which took about 3 or 4 hours - then we could sack out for 6 or 7 hours, do this once or twice a week. When we told our lieutenants about this - they replied that they would have to pay us $54 a month for the jumps and both refused to sign the slips. We told him that we didn't want any pay, just sign the orders. He replied that it was mandatory that we "had" to be compensated for jumping so it was not to be allowed. The Staff Sgt. at aerial delivery was not a very happy camper after hearing this news, but sometimes all of us have to live with dissapointment sometimes in our lives. I hope the "MP" dream works out for you, but as other posters mentioned - maybe something else will work for you, maybe something even better!!! I wish you well.

Might want to look into security forces as well. I know they do a lot of Police/SWAT like training and i dont believe you are bound by the color blindness thing. As well just cause you go to MEPS doesnt mean you are signing a contract. Go up there and see what they tell you...

As well just cause you go to boot camp doesnt mean you will be a Marine..

Registered User Free Member CplClark's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    MP's are just cops that hassle marines instead of civs you know that right? the highspeed stuff is done by security forces which are infantry marines by mos just with specific traning @ chesesepke bay in VA..

Thread Information