Screw Disabled Veterans
Bob Parks @ 11/29/2005 08:30:00 AM

Sometimes I don't know what some people are thinking, especially people who know better.

While I served during Navy quasi-peacetime even though we were always playing real-time war games against the Russians, I can't imagine what it must be like on the ground. I can't imagine what it must be like to at one moment being fine and at the next, knowing you're hurt but not how badly. Then to later come home and be spit upon by the very people your pain assures them of the power they enjoy.

For those who've read previous columns of mine, you know me to be a straight shooter and in the proud Republican tradition, am quite comfortable “eating our own” because one can't criticize Democrats and let dubious conservative activities go unchallenged.

According to www.military.com's Larry Scott, Indiana Congressman “Steve Buyer, Chairman of the House Committee on Veterans' Affairs was busy fine-tuning the way veterans service organizations are heard on Capitol Hill. In the past, Buyer has called for sweeping changes to veterans' benefits and compensation. If implemented, these changes would deny benefits to many veterans and reduce benefits for many more.”

“Buyer ascended to that powerful position after Republican Party politics led to the unceremonious ouster of Rep. Chris Smith (R-NJ) earlier this year. Smith was an outspoken veterans' advocate and had sought increases in funding for the Department of Veterans' Affairs healthcare budget. Not so with Rep. Buyer. Buyer is known in the Republican Party as a team-player who does not stray from the Party line. In the veterans' community, Buyer is known as a hard-liner who tenaciously resists any effort to fully fund VA healthcare.”

Because of the unpopularity of the Iraq War due to a coordinated pummeling from Democrats and their media, emphasis is being placed on aid packages for those who see action in theater today. However due to the additional spending going out to Katrina and Rita victims, and the traditional dolling out of pork to local pet projects, cuts are necessary and why not aim for those who are old and are dying off gradually anyway.

One would think Congressman Buyer (pronounced Boo-yer) would be sensitive to veterans affairs. According to his website, he “is a 1980 distinguished military graduate (DMG) of The Citadel. Upon graduation, he was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the Army Reserve as a Medical Service Corps Officer. After graduation from Valparaiso Law School, Congressman Buyer's branch transferred to the Judge Advocate General Corps and was called to active duty for a period of three years.”

“As a Staff Judge Advocate officer at Ft. Eustis, Virginia, he served as the Special Assistant, United States Attorney in Virginia. Upon his release from active duty, Congressman Buyer served with the 310th TAACOM during EXERCISE REFORGER in the Netherlands and Belgium. Congressman Buyer returned to Indiana to practice law in his hometown of Monticello. While continuing his duties as a citizen-soldier, he participated in three REFORGER exercises in Germany with the 21st TAACOM.

“In the fall of 1990, Congressman Buyer was called to active duty on three days notice to participate in OPERATION DESERT SHIELD/DESERT STORM. As an Operational Law Judge Advocate, Buyer provided legal advice to forward-deployed combat service support units within the combat zone of operations. He also provided legal advice to the Commander, 22nd Support Command. In addition, he was assigned to the Western Enemy Prisoner of War Camp, providing legal advice on international law and the Geneva Conventions regarding the treatment of prisoners of war, detained civilians, and refugees. He also served as an Armed Forces liaison with delegates of the International Committee of the Red Cross.

“Congressman Buyer continues to serve as a Colonel in the Army Reserves.

“Beginning in the 109th Congress, Congressman Buyer will serve as the Chairman of the House Veterans Affairs Committee.”

Now I have been critical of some thinking of officers due to my biases created during my time in, and bolstered by Hollywood's depiction of them as the real action heroes, while we mere enlisteds were reduced to almost buffoon-like afterthoughts. I do know many fine officers, but it would appear Congressman Buyer may have forgotten the many people who helped get him were he is today.

On November 8th, Buyer announced that VA budget hearings would be moved up from March to February of next year, and only in front of the House Committee on Veterans Affairs instead of the “traditional House and Senate venue.” He said this was to "ensure that veterans have greater input in the (VA's budget) process."

Here's the problem: For the last 55 years Veterans Service Organizations have been invited to testify before the joint session of the HCVA and Senate Committee on Veterans' Affairs. As chair, Buyer will now limit veteran's input and ice the Senators who are directly involved in the VA budget process. By moving up the dates of testimony, veterans will only be able to present partial information necessary to the debate.

“During the Joint Committee hearings held in March, VSOs have had the VA's budget request and the White House's response to that request (generally a lower dollar amount). And, there would be enough time to analyze both sets of figures and give testimony in the best interest of veterans. With the single committee hearing moved to February, the VSOs would have to outline their VA budget priorities at the same time that the White House figures are released. There wouldn't be time to go through the White House's VA budget numbers and come up with a response.”

Now as I haven't gotten a callback from the White House, I don't know why disabled veterans are going to be shorted while there are so many politically correct hands out that will get filled. Let's give more money to those who don't work because of the creation of new “diseases”; let's give more money to those who continue to breed irresponsibly and spend whatever assistance they get on creature comforts like booze and drugs; let's fund the lifestyles of those who are here illegally; don't forget the billions in pork that go home to constituents during an election season, and oh, by the way... screw the disabled vets.

There are a few things some of need be reminded... over and over again.

“An untold number of men and women will return from Iraq and the war on terror with disabilities. The military and veterans organizations worry that many of them will not be able to directly identify or prove the origin of their ailments, but that certainly does not mean they should be ignored.

"Our nation is engaged in a war with a hostile enemy that would willingly kill innocent civilians. Yet it seems that some members of our government would shortchange those who protect us. Disabled veterans should not have to fight their own government for the benefits they earned. In a callous effort to limit government's obligations to our former, current and future defenders, authors of the provision in the Defense authorization bill took it upon themselves to rewrite the law regarding benefits for disabled veterans, bypassing the relevant congressional committee and without holding public hearings on the matter."

-DAV Past National Commander Alan W. Bowers

I'm no fan of casual entitlements, but when people voluntarily offer our country their blood, it's disgraceful to turn around and thank them by being cheap. If we can throw around money for bovine flatulence studies, then we can afford to compensate someone who had a leg blown off, or who spent so much time under constant fire, they think they’re still on the battlefield today. If we can support an ever-growing family that hasn't earned a paycheck in two or more generations, then we can find a few bucks to let a vet go to a VA clinic for a checkup and treatment.

It's not often I do this, but Congressman Buyer need be notified (Congress has made it difficult to email so here's his phone number: (202) 225-5037) and respectfully requested to allow all interested parties to testify and make their voices heard. If they can call baseball players to testify about steroids and get actresses who played farm wives to testify about agriculture, men and women who've literally given their bodies in battles more horrendous then those unfortunately being fought now should be allowed to continue being heard.

No war is more politically expedient than another, and no veteran has priority over another. Those in leadership must stop playing games with veterans. If they are good enough to walk in parades with, then they are are good enough to support the rest of the year as well.

Ellie