Why did you join?/ Why are you joining? - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

My Reason? My Reaction.

I joined because my girlfriend was driving me up the wall lol. Finally one day i had just plain had enough and drove to the recruiter, and, since this was in 1969, the office wasn't real crowded. He had me take a bunch of tests and said "I'm in a real hurt locker here for a 4 year aviation guaranty... would you consider signing up for four?

I said, sure, no problem. I liked airplanes. Slightly naive? yeah i was. grew up in a farm town where exciting was watching the grass grow...

By the grace of God i made it through boot camp although i was certain my DI's were going to kill me. I then went to Pendleton for some infantry training, then got leave before going to NATTC Memphis for assignment to an aviation MOS.

On leave, i looked up my girlfriend, and she shreiked YOU BABYKILLER!!! YOU NASTY ROTTEN MILITARISTIC #!**!!#$! YOU ***!!!

Being the now slightly wiser young Marine, i realized that she hadn't changed any. At least she didn't spit on my dress blues...

My Reaction: I learned more about life, loyalty, honor, and a host of other virtues during my 4 yrs than i probably ever would have anywhere else. There was something very special and different about being a Marine that has stood me in good stead all these years. Would i join again? In a heartbeat.

And i would still take pride in serving a country where people had the right to call me terrible names, spit on me, etc. etc. because we have freedom of speech. I don't have to like them, and i certainly don't have to like their viewpoint, but Freedom is what its all about. Hope this helps.

Registered User Free Member gibby1371's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    i joined becasue this is the only thing i could have done were i would get paid to stay in shape, travel, kill people and blow stuff up and ultimitaly become part of something bigger than myself

Honestly, I am going to join purley beacuse i got a free poster!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Mac88
    Honestly, I am going to join purley beacuse i got a free poster!!!

I wanted to join the BEST service and thus I joined the Marine Corps!!!

OoooRrrrAaaHhh!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,

I joined at the age of 17 because the Marine Corps was the Best of the Best. have never regreted serving, Went places I would have never gone if not for the Corps. I made a lot of friends and lost a lot of friends while their.
    Phil Benton
    Semper Fi.
    1961/1968

Smile

It surely wasn't for money, more to do, with knowing that one was going to get drafted back in 1957.
    What does a 17 1/2 year old know?
    What does he have to give?
    Was he influence by the service of his four uncles in World War II in the US Army, one went on to serve in Korea.
    Would the reasonable thing to do, enlist in the US Army.
    No I had to do things my way, and I;m glad I did.
    To the tune of ten years of service, I got more than I gave, even if it was ten years.
    That saw me first on "the Missiles of October" , I followed that in 1965 going to South Vietnam, than back in 1966 for a second tour.
    My service, builded on the core values I had before enlisting.
    So what did I enlist/join?
    I tend to have some trouble with the word "join", one enlists into service, one does not join.
    Just like one does not use the term "DI" in place of "Drill Instructor" on the web.
    That must come from not using that term in boot camp along many other terms such as "I", that might have drawn a poke in one's eye to see which "I" the recruit was talking about.
    That action now might get a Drill Instructor in BIG TROUBLE.
    Would I enlist again if I could go back to 1957?
    You best believe it...

Semper Fidelis
    Ricardo

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I enlisted because I want to kill bad people and get payed for it.

Registered User Free Member jerryB's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    If I had to explain it to a person , whi isn't a marine, they just wouldn't understand it..

Semper Fidelis.

Registered User Free Member jerryB's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    If I had to explain it to a person , who isn't a marine, they just wouldn't understand it..

Semper Fidelis.:

I think one thing that we all share in common is deep inside all of us is a strong love for our country and our brothers. Plus I think many of us have always been cocky and always felt we were better than most. I have always been proud to claim the title United States Marine. Until the day I die I will always be proud and I will forever be a part of long legacy of Marines past present and future.

I just wanted to know what the "pit" was and practice my push ups and stuff....

Registered User Free Member Gunny McMillan's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I got lost on the way to college.

I heard you get a free haircut!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I think one thing that we all share in common is deep inside all of us is a strong love for our country and our brothers. Plus I think many of us have always been cocky and always felt we were better than most.
    Outstanding Outlaw! It is definitely not politically correct but pizz on them. We are the absolute best 150,000 warriors our Beloved Nation of 260 million souls have produced. NO ONE is getting past us.

Thread Information