School... full of hippis - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    When i was freshman i cudnt give a crap about the military, or America, i was disrespectful, and didnt care about school. Once you find out your on the path of being a Good for nothing minimum wage ass punk for the rest of your life. I straightend up on my own, learned history and found that people died so i cud sit on my ass for my life and be free, and gave us the land we have today, and the biuldings that are up now ... then the summer of my 11th grade i decided that i was going to be a Real man, a real Marine and hack it and be better then my generation of kids, and most of family. Im on that road today and will never leave it

Well, times have certainly changed ......having been raised by the hippie generation and growing up during Vietnam I suppose there are still some radical groups who call themselves teenagers meandering the hallways and city sidewalks trying to have an influence of one kind or another. But when I was in highschool the only thing dumb enough to tell my friends they shouldn't become Marines got either whooped on the local baseball field or utterly shuned by all. Good Luck Smalcom I hope your school gets it's head out of the clouds and you find the local support you deserve.

Well, they may not be hippies. But at my school, almost everybody hates the military (especially the Marine Corps). Of course it ticks me off, but I just laugh at them. Because without the Marine Corps and the rest of the military, they would not be as happy as they are now. But most people at my school can not see this point of view. Heck, my teacher oneday had a peace sign on his door (that he put there) and along with that a poster that said, "Nuke the Whales" or some crap like that. He told us that war was wrong. I wish the people at my school would realize that my teacher had no reason to do that. But of course no one does. I do not know what to do. If you have any thoughts or ideas, please share them. I would really appreciate them, Thank You.

Hey Poolee......

Man...you got it right .......don't let anyone tell you, YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING.......because if I can all 112 lbs can ...you can......buddy...and if someone tells you that Boot Camp is easy...it ain't.......cause when you get there, your whole life will change the minute you step off that plane and some small DI runs up to you and gets in your case....

My story...I can remember it like it was yesterday....
    I was 22 years old, went to business college for a year and it seemed I wasn't going anywhere....just another rut each day.
    My soon to be brother in law (which I didn't know at the time he was going to be) said to me..."Come on Glen lets join the Marines..." Man I thought he was NUTS..., but finally he talked me into going down and talking to the recruiter.......so he and I went to the Recruit Depot and sign up....a few days later we took our physicals and tests. I passed all of mine but my brother in law (Billy) failed his....
    So we came back from Houston, back to Nacogdoches,Texas...and I told my recruiter that "if he ain't going, I ain't going"......so about a month passed and Billy went to Florida.......so when I heard that he was already in the Marines...I called my Recruiter back up and told him, I was ready to go.....
    That was on a Friday, that after noon, my recruiter brought me my bus tickets to Houston, and told me that I had to be in Houston Induction Center at 0430 on Monday 22 Jan. 1972 for my final physical and swearing in....

That Saturday, Mom asked me what I wanted her to cook for me the day before I left. I told her .....chicken dumplings, dressing and a chocolate pie, which she did....(I have a picture of me and my mom with that chocolate pie)

I had kinda long hair, it was over my collor, I wasn't a hippie, but had some friends that were....so I know about those people.....they called me Idiot, stupid, and don't you know there is still a war going on in Viet Nam.......I told them they could sit here and do nothing, be nothing, go nowhere and smoke their weed and the likes...I was going to do something for my self and for my country..I had something to prove to myself, my family, my friends and most of all to my girl friends Dad. That I was man enough for his daughter............(another story)....
    My friend Oscar....told me that I'd be sorry....and that I wouldn't make it ....cause at that time...I was only 112 lbs and 5'7" tall....skinny runt.....(they lied about my weight to get me in.....minimum was 114 lbs at that time, I think.) The DI's would eat me alive....he told me all sorts of stuff that happened to him, when he went.....(he never made it thru boot camp, they kicked his sorry ass out. After I was in Boot ...i found out he had hung himself.)
    So that Sunday came and Mom fixed dinner for me, my girlfriend came over and cried all day....I said good by to my mom and dad, little sister and brother. My girlfriend took me to the bus depot and we said our good byes there....I got on the bus and off I went........
    When I go to the bus station in Houston, I met some of the other recruits there and some of the draftees..(still had the draft in those days). Some going to the Navy, some to the Army, Air Force, and Coast Guard....but I was going in the Marines.....I had a hotel room along with some of the others....so we all walk over to the hotel..(only a few blocks from the bus station), check in. I think there was at least 6 or 7 of us that were going into the Marines, anyway, after we check in...we go down to the lobby and eat supper, get back to our rooms. Some of the guys wanted to play cards, I played a few hands and then turned in....put in an early wake up call (0400) at the desk and went to bed.....I lay there a while, excited and couldn't sleep..so I decided to call an old pen pal that I had for several years that lived in Bellaire..(Charletto Clements)...talked to her for about an hour and she said she would call in a special song over the radio (KIKK) station and dedicate it to all of guys that was leaving for the service in the morning....(14 Feb 1972)..(the song was Leaving on a Jet Plane)....I listened to it and thought about the flight that I would be taking and the change in my live that was fixing to take place.....I fell asleep.......

0400 call came in woke me up...and man I was excited....got a shower, dressed, met some of the guys down stairs for breakfast..and off we went....
    0430 we waited in line to get our last physical, and some blood test. That took almost all morning. Finally they lead us to a big wide open room with chairs lined up....I think there must have been about 40 or 50 of these chiars...in this one room...anyway...after everyone was seated by branch of service....this Chaplin came in and some other service men...each from all the branches of service and stood in front of us.....after a brief prayer, we all stood up......raised our right hand and took the service oath.....SO HELP US GOD! (for the life of me ...of all the things I remember, I can't remember that oath). The GySgt that was in charge of the Marines came and shook our hands and said "Welcome to the Marine Corp"....patted us on the back....made us feel really proud......told us that we could call anybody on the phone...so I called my girlfriend.....talk to her for about 30 minutes, then tried to call my mom and dad...but they were already in Houston to see me off at the airport, I didn't know this until I got to the air port.
    Then the waiting game started......we waited and waited....and waited........then finally about 1430, the GySgt came in handed one of the recruits with a large brown envelope and told him that he would be in charge of the Marines Recruits til we got to San Diego, Calif......fine...all is well......
    They lead us to a van in the parking lot after all the processing was over...
    The van took us to Houston International Airport...(Bush International now)....where we waited on our plane....as we were waiting....my mom and dad...2 older sisters....came walking up....to where we were...they had to get permission to talk to me......thru the Sgt that was with us....
    Finally I talk to my mom, dad and my 2 older sisters....the plane arrived and we started to leave......Mom was crying, my oldest sister was crying too, but my sister Elaine, said..."I ain't crying"...but she had a tear rolling down her cheek.....I hugged them all, kissed my mom, told her I loved her.....but last.....my dad came ....I hugged him..and you could tell he had a lump in his throat...and said...."Son just keep your head up.....nose clean.....and everything else will be fine."....I turned and started down the walk that lead to the plane........I didn't turn around anymore....I didn't want them to see me tear up........so I just kept walking...took my seat and look out the window....to see if I could see them on the upper deck of the terminal.......sure enough....there they were....waving as hard they could......as my plane taxied to the runway......(truthfully....I kinda tear up....even now...now that I think back...cause Mom and Dad both are gone.)

As this was my first plane ride....man I was excited......after we got air borne and was about 35000 feet or so in the air ...that I thought about nothing under me outside of this plane was nothing but air...kinda scary at first...but finally dosed off.....

We got to San Diego, about 1730....the sun was setting and the weather was a beautiful clear evening....
    When we got there at the Marine Liaison, the Sgt behind the desk took our papers and took us out side...had us to line up against the wall and wait for the bus to come and take us to MCRD there in San Diego......Now, all this time I was nervious and had some chewing gum....so I took a piece and started chewing......then all of a sudden.....I hear this loud DEEP, voice.....screaming and hollering.....'' GET OFF THE F......G WALL, IT DON'T NEED ANY HELP HOLDING THE CEILING UP". Man I snapped up off the wall and then he came over to me....(little short Sgt... too) got right in my face...(you know like Gomer Pile)......he said ...."SWALLOW IT".......talking about scared to death....I said " Sir ?".......he said, "SWALLOW IT F.......G...NOW!!!!!".....I swallowed hard and swallowed that gum.......
    I was thinking to myself....."Carroll what the sh_t did you get yourself into this time......and mom and dad ain't here to help....GOD I WAS SCARED ......

Now you have to remember I've been going since 0400 in the morning.....got about 30 minutes on the plane....and that's it........

Now! here comes the bus, and the Sgt jummmmmmps off the bus.....boming voice........" OK GIRLS........NOW....EVERY WORD FROM THAT HOLE IN THAT FACE OF YOURS WILL BE ....SIR....AND THE LAST WORD OUT OF YOUR MOUTH WILL BE .....SIR.........DO YOU UNDERSTAND.......(GOD I'M SCARED) "SIR YES SIR"......The Sgt said, " NOW WHEN I TELL YOU TO GET ON THE BUS.....I DON'T WANT NO F-----G LIP.....IS THAT UNDERSTOOD....""""SIR, YES SIR""""

"NOW GET ON THE BUS.....YOU F-------G MAGGOTS....''.....there was a sudden rushed for the bus......finally everyone took their seats.....and here come that Sgt......jummmmmmmmmmmmmped on the bus.....said to all you guys that smoke.....you better smoke like a chimney....cause the only time you'll smoke again..is with permission....is that understood".....SIR YES SIR....
    By the time we got to the Depot....on MCRD......you could hardly see in front of you......so much smoke on that bus......(now you have to realize...I don't smoke...) I got sick to my stomach......too.....

Now when we pull into the depot.....you know where the YELLOW FOOT PRINTS ARE.......this mean, tall SSgt....jumps on the bus...and starts screaming.......'' I WILL BE YOUR MOTHER, ...YOUR FATHER,....YOUR BROTHER,.....YOUR SISTER,....YOUR PREACHER,.....AND I WILL BE YOUR G O D...FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS...DO YOU SEE THOSE YELLOW FOOT PRINTS I WANT A BODY ON EACH ONE, THERE IS NO WHITE MARINE, THERE IS NO BLACK, BROWN, OR YELLOW MARINE......WE'RE ALL GREEN ...AND NOW WHEN I SAY MOVE.....YOU BEST NOT SIT ON YOUR ASS......ALL I WANT TO SEE IS *******S AND ELBOWS....IS THAT UNDERSTOOD..?".......SIR YES SIR..........
    .....he gets off the bus...stands by the bus door and hollers ......."MOVE"...........man i thought that we'd all kill ourselves if we didn't get off that bus in 5 secs.......

I found my set of foot prints and there is stood....scared sh....tless.......

Here come the Sgt......."Ok girls...you see that sign over the door......it's call the UCMJ.....read it and memorize it...cause...you're going to need every word on the board.....is that understood?........'' SIR , YES SIR''......

It's dark now....and we're still on those foot prints....
    Sgt. says.....now when that door opens....I want the first row...to line up in front of that door.....everytime one goes in...another steps up to take his place....................door opens........first 4 marines enter....4 from the yellow foot prints take their place.....Now some of these kids....have really long hair..and some have already shaved theirs...those with long hair.....man what a surprise..they got......sit down....no cloth around the shoulders......zipppp....ziiipppp...ziippppppp.... .NEXT.......
    Will have to finish this story another time.......if you want to hear the rest.....it gets better.....just let me know....

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Outstanding Sgt!

Credits
    Savings
    Don't stop now....

wow my post really carried lol

Boot Camp 1972

Quote Originally Posted by carroll1972
    Hey Poolee......

Man...you got it right .......don't let anyone tell you, YOU CAN'T DO ANYTHING.......because if I can all 112 lbs can ...you can......buddy...and if someone tells you that Boot Camp is easy...it ain't.......cause when you get there, your whole life will change the minute you step off that plane and some small DI runs up to you and gets in your case....

My story...I can remember it like it was yesterday....
    I was 22 years old, went to business college for a year and it seemed I wasn't going anywhere....just another rut each day.
    My soon to be brother in law (which I didn't know at the time he was going to be) said to me..."Come on Glen lets join the Marines..." Man I thought he was NUTS..., but finally he talked me into going down and talking to the recruiter.......so he and I went to the Recruit Depot and sign up....a few days later we took our physicals and tests. I passed all of mine but my brother in law (Billy) failed his....
    So we came back from Houston, back to Nacogdoches,Texas...and I told my recruiter that "if he ain't going, I ain't going"......so about a month passed and Billy went to Florida.......so when I heard that he was already in the Marines...I called my Recruiter back up and told him, I was ready to go.....
    That was on a Friday, that after noon, my recruiter brought me my bus tickets to Houston, and told me that I had to be in Houston Induction Center at 0430 on Monday 22 Jan. 1972 for my final physical and swearing in....

That Saturday, Mom asked me what I wanted her to cook for me the day before I left. I told her .....chicken dumplings, dressing and a chocolate pie, which she did....(I have a picture of me and my mom with that chocolate pie)

I had kinda long hair, it was over my collor, I wasn't a hippie, but had some friends that were....so I know about those people.....they called me Idiot, stupid, and don't you know there is still a war going on in Viet Nam.......I told them they could sit here and do nothing, be nothing, go nowhere and smoke their weed and the likes...I was going to do something for my self and for my country..I had something to prove to myself, my family, my friends and most of all to my girl friends Dad. That I was man enough for his daughter............(another story)....
    My friend Oscar....told me that I'd be sorry....and that I wouldn't make it ....cause at that time...I was only 112 lbs and 5'7" tall....skinny runt.....(they lied about my weight to get me in.....minimum was 114 lbs at that time, I think.) The DI's would eat me alive....he told me all sorts of stuff that happened to him, when he went.....(he never made it thru boot camp, they kicked his sorry ass out. After I was in Boot ...i found out he had hung himself.)
    So that Sunday came and Mom fixed dinner for me, my girlfriend came over and cried all day....I said good by to my mom and dad, little sister and brother. My girlfriend took me to the bus depot and we said our good byes there....I got on the bus and off I went........
    When I go to the bus station in Houston, I met some of the other recruits there and some of the draftees..(still had the draft in those days). Some going to the Navy, some to the Army, Air Force, and Coast Guard....but I was going in the Marines.....I had a hotel room along with some of the others....so we all walk over to the hotel..(only a few blocks from the bus station), check in. I think there was at least 6 or 7 of us that were going into the Marines, anyway, after we check in...we go down to the lobby and eat supper, get back to our rooms. Some of the guys wanted to play cards, I played a few hands and then turned in....put in an early wake up call (0400) at the desk and went to bed.....I lay there a while, excited and couldn't sleep..so I decided to call an old pen pal that I had for several years that lived in Bellaire..(Charletto Clements)...talked to her for about an hour and she said she would call in a special song over the radio (KIKK) station and dedicate it to all of guys that was leaving for the service in the morning....(14 Feb 1972)..(the song was Leaving on a Jet Plane)....I listened to it and thought about the flight that I would be taking and the change in my live that was fixing to take place.....I fell asleep.......

0400 call came in woke me up...and man I was excited....got a shower, dressed, met some of the guys down stairs for breakfast..and off we went....
    0430 we waited in line to get our last physical, and some blood test. That took almost all morning. Finally they lead us to a big wide open room with chairs lined up....I think there must have been about 40 or 50 of these chiars...in this one room...anyway...after everyone was seated by branch of service....this Chaplin came in and some other service men...each from all the branches of service and stood in front of us.....after a brief prayer, we all stood up......raised our right hand and took the service oath.....SO HELP US GOD! (for the life of me ...of all the things I remember, I can't remember that oath). The GySgt that was in charge of the Marines came and shook our hands and said "Welcome to the Marine Corp"....patted us on the back....made us feel really proud......told us that we could call anybody on the phone...so I called my girlfriend.....talk to her for about 30 minutes, then tried to call my mom and dad...but they were already in Houston to see me off at the airport, I didn't know this until I got to the air port.
    Then the waiting game started......we waited and waited....and waited........then finally about 1430, the GySgt came in handed one of the recruits with a large brown envelope and told him that he would be in charge of the Marines Recruits til we got to San Diego, Calif......fine...all is well......
    They lead us to a van in the parking lot after all the processing was over...
    The van took us to Houston International Airport...(Bush International now)....where we waited on our plane....as we were waiting....my mom and dad...2 older sisters....came walking up....to where we were...they had to get permission to talk to me......thru the Sgt that was with us....
    Finally I talk to my mom, dad and my 2 older sisters....the plane arrived and we started to leave......Mom was crying, my oldest sister was crying too, but my sister Elaine, said..."I ain't crying"...but she had a tear rolling down her cheek.....I hugged them all, kissed my mom, told her I loved her.....but last.....my dad came ....I hugged him..and you could tell he had a lump in his throat...and said...."Son just keep your head up.....nose clean.....and everything else will be fine."....I turned and started down the walk that lead to the plane........I didn't turn around anymore....I didn't want them to see me tear up........so I just kept walking...took my seat and look out the window....to see if I could see them on the upper deck of the terminal.......sure enough....there they were....waving as hard they could......as my plane taxied to the runway......(truthfully....I kinda tear up....even now...now that I think back...cause Mom and Dad both are gone.)

As this was my first plane ride....man I was excited......after we got air borne and was about 35000 feet or so in the air ...that I thought about nothing under me outside of this plane was nothing but air...kinda scary at first...but finally dosed off.....

We got to San Diego, about 1730....the sun was setting and the weather was a beautiful clear evening....
    When we got there at the Marine Liaison, the Sgt behind the desk took our papers and took us out side...had us to line up against the wall and wait for the bus to come and take us to MCRD there in San Diego......Now, all this time I was nervious and had some chewing gum....so I took a piece and started chewing......then all of a sudden.....I hear this loud DEEP, voice.....screaming and hollering.....'' GET OFF THE F......G WALL, IT DON'T NEED ANY HELP HOLDING THE CEILING UP". Man I snapped up off the wall and then he came over to me....(little short Sgt... too) got right in my face...(you know like Gomer Pile)......he said ...."SWALLOW IT".......talking about scared to death....I said " Sir ?".......he said, "SWALLOW IT F.......G...NOW!!!!!".....I swallowed hard and swallowed that gum.......
    I was thinking to myself....."Carroll what the sh_t did you get yourself into this time......and mom and dad ain't here to help....GOD I WAS SCARED ......

Now you have to remember I've been going since 0400 in the morning.....got about 30 minutes on the plane....and that's it........

Now! here comes the bus, and the Sgt jummmmmmps off the bus.....boming voice........" OK GIRLS........NOW....EVERY WORD FROM THAT HOLE IN THAT FACE OF YOURS WILL BE ....SIR....AND THE LAST WORD OUT OF YOUR MOUTH WILL BE .....SIR.........DO YOU UNDERSTAND.......(GOD I'M SCARED) "SIR YES SIR"......The Sgt said, " NOW WHEN I TELL YOU TO GET ON THE BUS.....I DON'T WANT NO F-----G LIP.....IS THAT UNDERSTOOD....""""SIR, YES SIR""""

"NOW GET ON THE BUS.....YOU F-------G MAGGOTS....''.....there was a sudden rushed for the bus......finally everyone took their seats.....and here come that Sgt......jummmmmmmmmmmmmped on the bus.....said to all you guys that smoke.....you better smoke like a chimney....cause the only time you'll smoke again..is with permission....is that understood".....SIR YES SIR....
    By the time we got to the Depot....on MCRD......you could hardly see in front of you......so much smoke on that bus......(now you have to realize...I don't smoke...) I got sick to my stomach......too.....

Now when we pull into the depot.....you know where the YELLOW FOOT PRINTS ARE.......this mean, tall SSgt....jumps on the bus...and starts screaming.......'' I WILL BE YOUR MOTHER, ...YOUR FATHER,....YOUR BROTHER,.....YOUR SISTER,....YOUR PREACHER,.....AND I WILL BE YOUR G O D...FOR THE NEXT 3 MONTHS...DO YOU SEE THOSE YELLOW FOOT PRINTS I WANT A BODY ON EACH ONE, THERE IS NO WHITE MARINE, THERE IS NO BLACK, BROWN, OR YELLOW MARINE......WE'RE ALL GREEN ...AND NOW WHEN I SAY MOVE.....YOU BEST NOT SIT ON YOUR ASS......ALL I WANT TO SEE IS *******S AND ELBOWS....IS THAT UNDERSTOOD..?".......SIR YES SIR..........
    .....he gets off the bus...stands by the bus door and hollers ......."MOVE"...........man i thought that we'd all kill ourselves if we didn't get off that bus in 5 secs.......

I found my set of foot prints and there is stood....scared sh....tless.......

Here come the Sgt......."Ok girls...you see that sign over the door......it's call the UCMJ.....read it and memorize it...cause...you're going to need every word on the board.....is that understood?........'' SIR , YES SIR''......

It's dark now....and we're still on those foot prints....
    Sgt. says.....now when that door opens....I want the first row...to line up in front of that door.....everytime one goes in...another steps up to take his place....................door opens........first 4 marines enter....4 from the yellow foot prints take their place.....Now some of these kids....have really long hair..and some have already shaved theirs...those with long hair.....man what a surprise..they got......sit down....no cloth around the shoulders......zipppp....ziiipppp...ziippppppp.... .NEXT.......
    Will have to finish this story another time.......if you want to hear the rest.....it gets better.....just let me know....
    When it came my turn to sit in the chair, I think it must have taken that barber 3 swips with those clippers to get my hair off.....I think I was the first man out of the chair, cause as I got out of the chair this Sgt grabbed me and told me " Don't let a man pass you with out giving him this" (duffle bag)...as a man passed me ...I made sure that he had one.....
    Now comes the clothes.......after everyone had got his hair cut, and was given a duffle bag....some guy was measuring you for your blouses, trousers, track shoes (the tennis shoes). ..you passed thru another line .....and somebody was giving you your belts, sock, skivies, t-shirts, and your cover. (Man to this day.....when I think about this process....I can still smell the smell of that room.....and it's been some 34 years come this 14 Feb 2006.) Next came the running shorts, sweat shirts, brass buckles, belts, cover block, and toilet items.....tooth paste (crest), razors, blades, barbersol shaving cream, you know the one in the stripped can, shower shoes, soap (dial)..
    combination locks (long shank), field jacket.
    As we were given these things.....we were still in our civies....after all of gear was given to us...we were told to stand in the little cubes...and empty our duffle bags...out on the table.......another guy stands on this big box where we all can see him and says..." As I call these things out...you should have everything I call off...." Then he started.....as we held up each item we put them back in our duffle bag.......(by this time it's midnite)...and still going ....now it the 15th of Feb and we haven't gotten any sleep.....
    Next came the shower.....after that .....we put on our skivies....(t-shirt and boxers) ....tennis shoes, cover, trousers and sweat shirt. We were take to another room....where we packed all of our civilian clothes in box to mail back home.....put our home address on them and they were sent home......
    The Sgt then told us.....if we had any contra band items....we were to put them in this box that the Sgt passed around....(contra band items were ...cigarettes, dope, gum...candy...guns, knives. etc. Anything that wasn't a military issued was considered contra band).....
    By this time it was getting to be morning.......still no sleep.....
    We place our duffle bags back on the yellow foot prints.....when we all got back out on those foot prints.....the GySgt was there this time...and told us to look at the guy in front of you....if you were taller than him ....you got in front of him.....(I'm 5'7" @ 112.5 lbs).....I was close to the middle but on the back end of the platoon....
    As we all found our place......the GySgt said for us to drop our duffle bags and lock arms...... we lock arms....and our first time to try to march together....... what a mess! .... I know we must have looked like one hugh mess of guys....arm in arm...here we go.....to the mess hall...first time....at marching together....
    The morning sky was clear...but a nice crispy morning.....(my little butt was cold, too)....Now as we struggled down the road....for the first time....was given our frist time trying to learn the process of getting from point "A" to point "B"....you know the road guards.....(second man on the first and 4th row was ROAD GUARDS.) As we came to our frist intersecton, these guys would run ahead and stand in the middle of the road.....till the platoon passed....Man....finally we get to the mess hall......the GySgt told us....this is how we were to "FORM FOR CHOW" HOOOOWAA......(EVERY OTHER MAN ON THE OUTSIDE ROWS WOULD TAKE A STEP ((ROW 1 TO THE LEFT ...ROW 4 TO THE RIGHT)).....THEN ONE STEP FOWARD AND ONE STEP, ROW 1 TO THE RIGHT AND ROW 4 TO THE LEFT. This would form 2 lines and as you entered the mess hall...rows 1 & 2 would go to the left and rows 3 and 4 would go to the right....i don't think we did so bad for the first time.....but according to the Gunny...we look like crap......finally we got into the mess hall and got our trays, as we passed each food tray, we would side step to the left and stick our trays under the window ....the server would slap on eggs, next...beckon and so on...til we got to the end of the line and found our table and stood there til we were told to sit...adjust....pray.....eat......and if we weren't finished in five minutes....the we were SOL....(for those that don't know what SOL...is......S h _ t our of Luck)....When we finished (are was not finished) we fell in formation out side.....and went back to the yellow foot prints to retrieve our gear...... After we pick up our gear we head over to the barrack where we were assigned a bunk...then we locked our gear to the bed post..
    Then we were off again....arm in arm....to this room ...where they measured up for our dress uniforms...our garrison caps. pi-- cover, dress shoes, dress blouse, ties, jackets, kaki trousers...now some of the guys have been awake 26 to 30 hours. As we were being fitted some of the guys were standing up...asleep....some would almost fall down.....the GySgt got p-ssed, he started hollering bout us being whimps...but a civilian worker....the ones that was measuring us.....ask us how long had we been up....and we told him some of us had been up some 30 some odd hours...so he had us to sit down. After we finished with being fitted....they took us over to some class room and started giving us those battery test......for got what they called them....but man...I could hardly keep my head up......couldn't think ...good...but I thought I did pretty well.....
    Gunny comes in....pencils down....pass the papers to the front.....
    "OK...YOU PUKE'S ITS TIME FOR LUNCH......we all fall out in a something of a formation....lock arms...(me in that big field jacket, I bet I looked a sight) and off we went to Chow.......do the FORM FOR CHOW THING......(little better this time....).....finish with chow....(which was pretty good eating...i must admit) .....my second meal.....learning to eat fasters..too....

The rest of the afternoon...was more test....more marching back and forth from different buildings...(LOCKED ARMED)every where we went....There was one time, I think it was after (dinner chow)..we were sitting on the bleachers....and this really sharp platoon came marching by.......MAN TALKING ABOUT SHARP LOOKIN.....EVERY ONE IN STEP....3 TO THE FRONT, 6 TO THE REAR...(can you relate to that...?) Their DI calling cadence.....I want to tell you man...they looked sharp....as they got right in front of us....their DI calls...."COLUMN HALF LEFT.." .....no one missed a step or ouT of step... Man!!!!! they were AWESOME.....I was just amazed......
    ALL OF A SUDDEN...I HEAR THIS ....."YOU BUNCH OF NUM-NUTS...THINK YOU CAN BE LIKE THAT?....YOU THINK YOU GOT WHAT IT TAKES....? EYES FRONT AND DON'T BE EYE F--KING THE AREA.....RIGHT NOW YOU CAN'T EVEN MARCH......BUT YOU WILL OR I'LL BE KICKIN YOUR -SS.....IF YOU SCREW UP JUST ONCE.....IS THAT UNDERSTOOD?????? "SIR , YES SIR"........

Now you have to remember this is my second day....still no sleep...we've been up since Monday morning at 0400 in Houston, Texas.....now it was Tuesday.....1600....(4 p.m.) for you poolee......I think if it was for the excitment and the fear they put in me....after i got there..thinking I do some crazy SH-T....but I didn't.......I kept my cool...I kept remembering what my Dad said to me back in Houston............."Son Keep your head up....nose clean....and everything will be alright....." This advise from my Dad....got me thru Boot camp......
    FINALLY....AT 2100 HRS....WE WENT BACK TO THE RECIEVING BARRACKS WHERE OUR DUFFLE BAG (SEA BAG for some of you Marines)...WERE....LOCKED TO OUR RACK....The GySgt....told us to get ready for the showers......We all stripped.. ..............got towels wrapped around our -sses...shower shoes....dial soap..tooth paste and shaving gear....our little diddy bag...and off to the showers we went.....Now I've never took a shower with 80 men before...but there we were.....no talking...no laughing...just shower and get the hell in the bed........by 2200 hours lites out...everybody in bed.....GOD ...THAT BED FELT SOOOOOOO F--KING GOOD............Enter ...the GySgt......" HIT THE RACK"....I think I was a sleep in 3 seconds...before "LITES OUT"........
    LONGEST DAYS OF MY LIFE WAS 14 & 15th of Feb.1972 .......the shortest nite of my life was that nite...cause at 0400 ........"LITES ON.....HIT THE DECK YOU BUNCH OF LAZY ASS...." IF I COME BY YOUR RACK AND YOU'RE IN IT......".....Well men...can you relate to this.....this was the first 2 days of my Marine Corp life.....I won't forget it.....

SMALCOM......if this little marine.....5'7" 112 lbs....soaking wet...can do it...and be ONE OF THE FEW...THE PROUD....AND TO BE CALLED THE UNITED STATE MARINE....still brings a flood of pride in me.....and that's been 34 years ago...come this Feb 14th. 2006

And if you enjoyed this.....little part of my life....would love to hear from any of you jar heads.........:

GREAT STORY carrol1972, a lot of motivation there, dont worry ill make it, and i would like to hear some stories from other Marines.

Smalcom...

Whenever someone gives you grief about your decision...just look them clear in the eye and say "Thank you for the motivation."

These people should be the very reason you'll do well at boot camp. If not to show them that you're willing to protect freedom, whatever the cost...to show them that you're ten times the person they'll ever be.

WOW!!! THANKS TO ALL THE MARINES AND POOLIES FOR THE MOTIVATION!!! Great story too. ive lost several friends cuz of my decision and get bashed at skew and all i can do is smile and take it to stay out of trouble cuz one day soon i know im going to have the best friends in the world. the USMC. Thanks.

Wow my post has carried pretty far... so i guess the moral of this whole thing is to do what you want, dont let anyone stop ya.... the more they think u can't or won't make it the harder you try and come back knowing that you are a Marine, then see what they think. DONT QUIT.....

I see it as this. While they think you're stupid for joining the Marine Corps, they'll be working their asses off at coffee shops or burger joints complaining about how they need that job to get them through college, while you're strengthening yourself, and getting the best training in the world for the career of your choice for free, and you get paid. By the end of your enlistment, you'll have seen more **** in your 4 or so years in the Marine Corps than they will in their entire lives. Most people die with their lives unfulfilled, but a Marine is not one of them.

smalcom, i deal with a lot of "hippies" too. just smile at them....tell them u are glad that you are protecting their freedom.... they act the way they do because they are "anti-war" and "peace activists", Im willing to bet that NO Marine wants war, and EVERY Marine wants peace, in other words, Marines are "anti-war" and "peace activists" too. What these "hippies" dont understand is that if there was no war, if there was no blood shed, if it werent for guys like us doing what we are doing, that they would all be speaking a different language and they would be tortured for expressing their own opinion. ask one of them if he/she would rather be tortured or ignored for b!tching about the military. America allows them to be ignored, not punished. God Bless This Country.

Plenty of em' in my school...

I don't go around saying I'm enlisting though. The cool thing is though, all my close friends all want to enlist anyways, so I can talk to them about the military instead of the people who just don't understand.

Thread Information