Salute to vets
Create Post

Thread: Salute to vets

Salute to vets

Respect for those who serve, desire for peace mingle at parade
    November 10, 2002

By SAM KENNEDY
    THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Some marched on their own two feet, others walked with the help of crutches or canes, and still others smiled gently and waved from surplus Army jeeps that carried them through downtown Petaluma on Saturday afternoon in the North Bay Veterans Day Parade.

They were white-haired World War II and Korean War veterans, graying Vietnam vets and others, living symbols of past sacrifices and a reminder of what soon may come.

With war against Iraq looming, many participants said this year's parade took on a special significance.

"I think, in general, people are feeling more patriotic," said Bettie Crandall, 79, of Windsor, who was a member of the Navy WAVES -- Women Accepted for Volunteer Emergency Service -- during World War II.

Broneil Baytkarim, 16, a member of the Sea Cadets, an organization that prepares teen-agers for Navy careers, said his thoughts were of those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

"A lot of people have lost their lives, and I keep that in mind," said Baytkarim, who is from San Bruno.

"Some people," added Jack Clifford, a cadet who is also 16 and from San Bruno, "might lose their lives again."

Petaluma held its first Veterans Day parade in 1920, a year after President Woodrow Wilson declared Nov. 11 Armistice Day, a national holiday in honor of the treaty that ended World War I.

Several hundred people -- fewer than in recent years -- lined the streets Saturday despite the threat of rain. A few held signs protesting possible military action in Iraq.

Other spectators, who quietly watched the procession of high school bands, firetrucks and old soldiers, said they attended the event with mixed feelings.

Hope Stewart, 64, of Petaluma described herself as a staunch opponent of war with Iraq. But she said she also wanted to honor those who serve in the military.

"I may be part of a war protest, but I'll be here at the parade, too," she said.

George Stucky, 72, of Petaluma suggested that President Bush should travel to Iraq and speak directly to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein before he sends American men and women overseas to kill and die there.

Yet Stucky, who served in the Army during the Korean War, said his feelings about war don't translate into ill will against those who wear the uniform. "I'm a veteran," he said. "I respect those in the service."

Among the roughly 100 entries in the parade Saturday, troops who served in long-ago wars were also represented. Some participants were dressed in the blue Union uniforms of the Civil War and the khaki fatigues of the Spanish-American War.

Robert Garbish, a 57-year old Vietnam veteran from Vallejo, wore an olive-green uniform from the American Expeditionary Force in World War I.

The parade lost its last real World War I veteran when Earl Macklin Murphy of Santa Rosa died last year at age 103.

The event concluded with a memorial ceremony in Walnut Park. About 100 people, displaying the spectrum of uniform colors, bowed their heads in silence to the solemn notes of "Taps" on the bugle.

Sempers,

Roger

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    I was pleased to see the name of Broneil Baytkarim, 16, a member of the Sea Cadets as a participant in the parade. He sounds like a 2nd generation American. (I'm 4th or 5th, I'm not sure which.)

What bothers me, considering the ages of quoted spectators, where were their children and grandchildren?

The Jews celebrate Passover, and at the family gathering, one child is designated to ask the question, "What is so special about this night?" And so the tradition is passed from one generation to the next.

And my generation attends the parades, and fights to keep the traditions of pride and honor alive in their hearts, while their children are watching football on tv and their grandchildren are celebrating a non-school day.

We already have it. Super Bowl Sunday attracts more interest and more spectators than the combination of ALL celebrations of tradition and values.

No change that.

Super Bowl Sunday HAS become a tradition. Tail-gate parties, sports viewing at the local bar, and taking control of the family television for a major sports event has replaced families united for Thanksgiving, 4th of July, Memorial Day, Christmas, Easter, Veterans Day, Mother's Day, Valentine's Day, and all other family get- togethers.

Why else is it that nostalgia is so much more meaningful than "I remember last year when we ...."?
    ----------------------------------------
    Sorry guys, I'll try to keep it light, next time.

Semper Fi

Say whatever the hell ya want First Sergeant.

I'm listening.

firstsgtmike
    Guest Free Member
    Let me add to that. I just finishe reading two news articles, reflecting on Veteran's Day.

The WWII era generation, particularly the veterans, have been called "The Geatest Generation." I agree. I believe they, their efforts, their values, did more to change the world and the United States than any other generation before or after.

It was the returning WWII veterans who had the greatest impact on their families, children, and grandchildren. Their return was the catalyst for tremendous change in the United States and the rest of the world.

We are losing them, and there are no replacements. US WWII and Korean War vets are dying at the rate of 1,000 per day. That number is accelerating, and will continue to do so for the next five years. Then it will slack off because there will be too few of them left.

I hate to say it, fellow NamVets, but our lasting impact on the world or the US has been zip point zero, nil, nada.

I don't want to be around for the next major change, when the WWIII holicost survivors emerge from their caves and underground bunkers and try to put Humpty Dumpty back together again.

Every time a WWII or Korean War vet dies, we lose another link to the survival of "our" world. The light at the end of the tunnel is coming from the other end, and it's getting dimmer and dimmer as we "progress" and the number of candle holders fade away.

I'd like to end this post, as I usually do, with a joke. But right now I can't think of any.

SHAFFER,

If you think this is too melodramatic and too much of a downer, please feel free to delete it.

Semper Fi

My 2 cents worth...There are a group of us vets,here, that get together in a tavern. Real informal thing, guys from most every campain ('cept WWI) and we hoist a few to the memory of those who AREN'T with us. Now in a more heartening note..there is a guy up the street from me,looks like a doper, who was putting out a flag this morning...and he told me "I didn't serve, buy you guys did..I figger it's the least I could do.".... I felt like hugging the guy....

6 yrs ago I bought a house, an old fixer upper I'd never be able to fix upper. It was in an older neighborhood. My house was built in 45. The first Veterans Day there I went out an bought me a flag. I've never owned on before. It was just one of those ones with the 5ft aluminum pole. I mounted the bracket to hold it on a pourch pole and put it up at sunrise. Later that day I hear a knock on the door. It is an old man. He introduced himself and pointed to his house, diagnally across the street. There was a real flagpole there flying a real flag. He came over to welcome me to the neighborhood and to thank me. He was a WWII vet, he told me of the few remaining ones on the block. There were only 3 left on my block. All had flagpoles.

I am housesitting in the desert, There is a flag flying here. It's just one of those with a 5 ft aluminum pole. The bracket is attached to a 8 ft 2X4 buried 2 ft in the ground. I called my daughter at home to remind her to put out our flag. It's the only one on the block.

When I sent off the DD214 for my dad's service record I wrote on the 180 that I wanted to share dad's Marine legacy with my grandsons. Firstsgtmike, I promise, I will. They will know what Veterans Day means. They will know about the old man across the road and what the Flag means to him and all who have served.

Thank You

Attached Images Attached Images

TeufelHunden
    Guest Free Member

Arrow On This Veteran's Day

Dedicated to all the Marines who went before me, all Marines doing it today & all future Marines.

He was getting old and paunchy
    And his hair was falling fast,
    And he sat around the Legion,
    Telling stories of the past.

Of a war that he once fought in
    And the deeds that he had done,
    In his exploits with his buddies;
    They were heroes, every one.

And 'tho sometimes to his neighbors
    His tales became a joke,
    All his buddies listened quietly
    For they knew where of he spoke.

But we'll hear his tales no longer,
    For ol' Bob has passed away,
    And the world's a little poorer
    For a Marine died today.

He won't be mourned by many,
    Just his children and his wife.
    For he lived an ordinary,
    Very quiet sort of life.

He held a job and raised a family,
    Going quietly on his way;
    And the world won't note his passing,
    'Tho a Marine died today.

When politicians leave this earth,
    Their bodies lie in state,
    While thousands note their passing,
    And proclaim that they were great.

Papers tell of their life stories
    From the time that they were young
    But the passing of a Marine
    Goes unnoticed, and unsung.

Is the greatest contribution
    To the welfare of our land,
    Some jerk who breaks his promise
    And cons his fellow man?

Or the ordinary fellow
    Who in times of war and strife,
    Goes off to serve his country
    And offers up his life?

The politician's stipend
    And the style in which he lives,
    Are often disproportionate,
    To the service that he gives.

While the ordinary Marine,
    Who offered up his all,
    Is paid off with a medal
    And perhaps a pension, small.

It's so easy to forget them,
    For it is so many times
    That our Bobs and Jims and Johnnies,
    Went to battle, but we know,

It is not the politicians
    With their compromise and ploys,
    Who won for us the freedom
    That our country now enjoys.

Should you find yourself in danger,
    With your enemies at hand,
    Would you really want some politician
    With his ever waffling stand?

Or would you want a Marine--
    His home, his country, his kin,
    Just a common Marine,
    Who would fight until the end.

He was just a common Marine,
    And his ranks are growing thin,
    But his presence should remind us
    We may need his like again.

For when countries are in conflict,
    We find the Marine's part
    Is to clean up all the troubles
    That the politicians start.

If we cannot do him honor
    While he's here to hear the praise,
    Then at least let's give him homage
    At the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simply headline
    In the paper that might say:

"OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING,
    A MARINE DIED TODAY."

Semper Fidelis to all my brother and sister Marines.

Dammit.

You people are bound and determined to make me cry aren't ya.

Good posts. Thanks.

Semper-****ing- Fi People! It ain't ****.

We'll do it again tomorrow if we haveta!

I'll remember

Attached Images Attached Images

To all our veterans, Past-Present-Future, on this Veterans Day, THANK
    YOU!

Our nation takes time today to honor those who sacrificed in serving
    our
    country. With the present situation as such, it is most especially
    important
    to realize just how important a role our Veterans have played in our
    lives.

Whether they touch us directly or indirectly they are there 24/7. Some
    giving
    their all in fighting and defending Freedom. Since 9-11, when terrorist
    brought
    it here to our soil, more Americans realize just how precious those
    freedoms
    are. And how in a blink of an eye, it can all be GONE.

Let's all take time to honor and remember our Veterans. AND to support
    our troops presently serving. Let's also take a moment of silence to
    remember
    and honor our POW/MIA's who did not make it home and those who gave
    the ultimate sacrifice. THEY ARE NOT FORGOTTEN!

Many events are ongoing today in local communities. Please take part in
    at
    least
    one of them. Show you care. Show you remember. Show you are an
    American!

My best to all, and again, my humble thanks to our Veterans!

Sempers,

Roger

Here, here! and Amen.

Thank you ladies and gentlemen.

Credits
    Savings
    V
    Veterans Day

wanna dig up some
    oldies

[B]THANKS,[/B]Ed, #8.... Semper Fi

Thread Information