MARINES: 'My whole body was aching with exhaustion'
Johnston Press New Media
25 November 2005

THE Royal Marines have been in Peterborough looking for new recruits. Our reporter Jack Grove joined marine cadets at Tallington Lakes, near Market Deeping, and discovered he is among the "99.9 per cent who need not apply".

THE fierce-looking marine commando fixes me with a withering look.

He is not impressed by my request to fetch my anorak before stepping aboard his speedboat.

"So what if you get wet", mutters Sergeant Paddy Kenny, bewildered by my reluctance to be soaked by the freezing waters of Tallington Lakes.

I am only 10 minutes into a day of exercises to see if I have got what it takes to join one of the world's elite fighting forces, the Royal Marines, and have already realised I am not commando material.

When I step off the boat five minutes later, drenched after my white-knuckle ride, my initial feelings are confirmed.

At least I stayed out of the water, unlike the unlucky Peterborough marine cadet thrown in the chilly lake by one of Sgt Kenny's many spins and twists.

But, unlike him, I make the schoolboy mistake of plunging my hands into my pockets to get them out of the biting November wind.

Another square-jawed marine, from the 40 Taunton Commandos, strolls towards me to enquire if I am cold.

Foolishly I admit I am freezing – an answer I am soon regretting as he orders me to drop and give him 20 press-ups to help warm me up.

As my biceps strain for that final push, the marine gives me an approving nod and we're off for our first activity.

The operation is an incursion into enemy territory to free a hostage captured by enemy forces.

Kitting up in paintball gear, I am part of a seven-strong team of cadets charged with storming an enemy base to release a hostage.

However, I am soon overtaken by the thrill of battle and end up sprinting ahead of my team, wildly firing my paintball gun.

Unsurprisingly, I am felled by a volley of paintball pellets, which slam into my chest and legs. As I sink to my knees in agony, my teammates file past to rescue our comrade.

We move to the shooting range at RAF Wittering where we fire guns, using live ammunition. I am given a light support weapon and let loose on a paper target 50ft away.

The gun gives off a massive crack that rips through the air and the butt thuds into my shoulder.

I fire off nine more shots and am surprised to be told by my instructor that I have hit them all.

We then move to rock climbing and abseiling activities, which are all punctuated by regular sets of press-ups, which leave my entire body aching with exhaustion.

But Captain Baz Lewis, who is leading the commandos, says the marines are looking for a good attitude, rather than super-fit recruits.

He said: "You obviously have to be quite fit to join, but we want people who enjoy a challenge.

"It is about people who may be scared of heights but are still prepared to abseil.

"If you have this, we will soon turn you into a lean, mean fighting machine."

His words offer me a glimmer of hope that I could one day mix it with the marines. But I doubt I ever could.

» If you are aged between 18 and 30, reasonably fit, and are interested in a career with the marines, you can find out more by calling 0845 607 5555, or visit www.royal-navy.mod.uk.

32 weeks of training

Royal Marine Commando Initial training is 32 weeks of arduous training that will change recruits from a civilian to a Royal Marines Commando. It is tough, and it will push recruits further every day.

During training, recruits will:

» Master a range of skills that few can match.

» Think and act as a member of a highly professional force.

» Recognise the need for speedy reaction to unpredictable situations on exercise in outdoor conditions.

» Learn the meaning of teamwork.

» Recognise the importance of good bearing and smartness in presentation.

» Learn the responsibilities of being a serviceman and a citizen with a reputation to uphold.

» To find out more, visit www.royal-navy.mod.uk

Serving across the planet

THE Royal Marines are the Royal Navy's amphibious infantry and are a key component of the Government's Rapid Reaction Force.

As such, they are required to be trained to work in different terrains and environments, from the cold, mountainous conditions in Northern Europe, to the hot arid regions of the Middle East and Africa and the dense, tropical jungles of the Far East.

All Royal Marines, except those in the Royal Marines Band Service, are first and foremost, commando soldiers. They are required to undergo what is recognised as one of the longest and most demanding infantry training regimes in the world.

The Royal Marines can trace their origins back to 1664, when a royal "Order-in-Council" was issued calling for 1,200 soldiers to be recruited for service in the Fleet, to be known as the Duke of York and Albany's Maritime Regiment of Foot.

Ellie