Penicillin Shot
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Penicillin Shot

Poolee/DEP Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Penicillin Shot

I have heard that you recieve multiple shots of penicillin at boot camp. The problem I am having is that I do not remember on a form or anything at MEPS if it asked what I was allergic too, and I am allergic to Penicillin. I have never actually had an allergic reaction too it or anything but since I can remember my mother has said I was allergic to it. Is this a problem? I dont remember putting down that I was allergic to it and dont want to get things mixed or messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazda
    I have heard that you recieve multiple shots of penicillin at boot camp. The problem I am having is that I do not remember on a form or anything at MEPS if it asked what I was allergic too, and I am allergic to Penicillin. I have never actually had an allergic reaction too it or anything but since I can remember my mother has said I was allergic to it. Is this a problem? I dont remember putting down that I was allergic to it and dont want to get things mixed or messed up.
    I am allergic to it as well. They will ask you again once there if you are allergic to anything. I break out in hives. Find out from your mother WHY you are allergic. Penicillen is not administered through a shoulder shot - but if you see them dropping needles into the butt - that is penicillen. Make sure you tell them you are allergic, and what reaction you had - as they will ask.

You will get a bottle of horse pills to take over 30 days instead. Double check and make sure b4 boot camp.

Steve

I am also allergic but just like you i dont know the reaction and my mother has always told me im allergic to it.. that and chocolate.. Either way... just tell them you are allergic.. they will give you i eryimicin to keep you from getting sick. But just let them know its cool and if you dont know the reaction thats cool as well...

Ok....penicillin is an antibiotic...not a regularly administered vaccine. They will need to know for your medical records though. You will not receive a penicillin shot at boot camp. However once you get to the Fleet and run around without your "cover" a few times, you may end up getting one!!!

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    My mom told me I was allergic to chocolate too... turns out she was just cheap =/

~
    gOpheR

Quote Originally Posted by awb5711
    Ok....penicillin is an antibiotic...not a regularly administered vaccine. They will need to know for your medical records though. You will not receive a penicillin shot at boot camp. However once you get to the Fleet and run around without your "cover" a few times, you may end up getting one!!!
    That part may have changed since I was in boot. That being said, there may also be a diference in which boot camp you attend as well.

Which boot camp did you attend - and which boot will the poolee attend?

regarding this polees questions on his penicillin shot, while i was at MEPS, they did not ask me if i were allergic to anything...but i am. i am allergic to ceclor.

when should i tell someone? i leave for boot next month on the 10th. will they kick me out? send me home? i really dont want that to happen

Quote Originally Posted by Kidd916
    regarding this polees questions on his penicillin shot, while i was at MEPS, they did not ask me if i were allergic to anything...but i am. i am allergic to ceclor.

when should i tell someone? i leave for boot next month on the 10th. will they kick me out? send me home? i really dont want that to happen
    No they won't kick you out. Hell - there would be a ton of us here that would have been kicked out if that were true. I would call my recruiter and make him aware of your allergy concerns, and how to make it known to the apropriate people. You'll probably just get a red medical dog tag which simply says that you are allergic to penicillen - or however they do it today. No big deal.

Steve

thank you for your quick reply...i have mentioned this to my recruiter. he simply told me "just tell them when you get there". this makes me un-easy. when would i tell them when i get there, while im interviewing with someone? and how should i bring it up?

Medic " is there anything you would like to tell me"

Me " oh yes, i forgot to mention tht i was allergice to ceclor. i do not know my reactions to it though"....

.....someone?

Awb, You are correct and penicillian is an antibiotic. But in Boot camp at least at San Diego you get 2 shots.. one in the 1st week and one about week 6 or 7 this is to ensure that the germs that are flying around do not get the entire platoon/company/battalion sick. As an EMT I am against this being that over using Antibiotics does destroy their worth and make super-strains that will be immune to the drug but thats what they do.

Kidd, Yes your correct.. you will do a medical interview.. when establishing your medical record.. they will ask if you are allergic to anything.. you reply.. Yes.. and what ever it is..

Everyone else.. If you are allergic inform the Doc's when you do your medical interview they will ensure you are taken care of. You will be issued a red dog tag and will be required to wear it with your other dog tags.. but it will keep you from having things compounded because you were allergic.. and being allergic is not a disqualifing thing.. well maybe peanut allergy could be.. but nothing normal..

Quote Originally Posted by VaMarine
    Awb, You are correct and penicillian is an antibiotic. But in Boot camp at least at San Diego you get 2 shots.. one in the 1st week and one about week 6 or 7 this is to ensure that the germs that are flying around do not get the entire platoon/company/battalion sick...
    Just got in touch with my son. He graduated Parris Island in December 2002. PI gives one shot of Penicillen the butt - in boot camp - same as it was for us in 1979. I guess some things never change. He said he couldn't sit for a day. Nasty stuff leaves a lump in your butt! LOL

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I got that same shot too. We were told it was called gamuglobin (sp) I had never been kicked by a horse or a mule bit this is what people say that shot felt like. Of course the the drill instructors picked us up and PTd the crap out of us because we were now healthy specimens to mess with. This of course happens after you have been cleared by the docs to be healthy. I think that the docs laughted at us when they gave the shot I am not sure.

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by GySgtRet
    I got that same shot too. We were told it was called gamuglobin (sp) I had never been kicked by a horse or a mule bit this is what people say that shot felt like. Of course the the drill instructors picked us up and PTd the crap out of us because we were now healthy specimens to mess with. This of course happens after you have been cleared by the docs to be healthy. I think that the docs laughted at us when they gave the shot I am not sure.
    I dunno which is worse - having that shot in the butt - or not having it. Because I am allergic to penicillen, I got the job of wiping the @ss of every recruit with a cotton ball. That's 60 sets of butts. The doc behind me gave the shot, but the recruit behind him (also allergic) had to pick up the dirty cotton balls. I think he had it worse.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    OH lucky you...!!! LOL

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Eurtihromyacin (or however you spell it?)

anyhow I told em I was allergic to the crap... ended up gettin "Z-pack" (zythromax) witch contains it... apparently some one didn't check my records.... needless to say they just couldn't figgure out why I started puking up blood... altho it's not the norm... these things do happen... make it very clear and very loud about your allergys....

Thread Information