Re-signing... almost 4 years later.
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member Owens's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Question Re-signing... almost 4 years later.

Alright, so I'm looking for some advice or information about how this would work. Here is my situation.

I was in the Marine Corps from July 1998 to July 2002, and spent one year in the DEP program prior to that. I received my honorable Discharge certificate recently, as my IRR time was up in August. So I am completely out now, not even an IRR Marine.

There were several reasons I didn't reenlist the first time around. The main two being that I was married and was offered a high paying job. I am now however in a different place. I have recently gone through a divorce, and I am bored as hell of my job and don't want to continue doing it (not even at another place - I'm a computer progammer and I truly am bored as hell of it.) One way or the other, I will have some other job within the next year.

So I was thinking... why not join the Marine Corps again? I'm not married anymore, so I don't have a wife to worry about. I miss being in the Corps alot. While I was in, I didn't get to do alot of the things I wanted to do as a Marine. I see my chance now.

Here is what is holding me back: Number 1, I'm older now and have had a high paying job for the last several years, and I have some debt that I don't know if I could handle on the salary of a Marine. I have a high car payment and credit card bills that would pretty much consume my entire pay. What are my options here?

Also, how would it work if I re-upped? Would I hit recruit training a second time around? (I actually wouldn't mind if I did). Would I have any advantages to picking up rank from the start? I was a corporal when I EASed. Would I have to retake the ASVAB?

If any of you Marines know any of these answers, I would greatly appreciate the help. I know I know, I should just go and talk to a recruiter and he would answer these questions. I also know, though, that his answers might be slanted just to try and get me in as soon as possible, and I was wondering if you guys have seen this situation before, and could give any advice.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Semper Fidelis.

-Owens

That is question that only you can answer. If it was me, I would stay where you are and work on reducing your debt and getting on with the rest of your life. A divorce is right up there next to death but the good news is that it's all temporary and things will get better. I think you have already answered your own questions. Hang in there! Semper Fi

Thread Information