Two charged with impersonating Marines
Create Post

Cool Two charged with impersonating Marines

Two charged with impersonating Marines

By Jason Cato
    PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, November 9, 2005

They might not have the mettle to be Marines, but they certainly dressed the part, prosecutors said.

Federal prosecutors have charged John Eastman, 58, of New Galilee, Beaver County, and Albert McKelvey, 68, of Richland, with impersonating Marine officers. A conviction on the misdemeanor charge carries up to six months in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Eastman, also known as John Gasparovic, is accused of wearing a major's insignia at a Veterans Day function on Nov. 4, 2004. McKelvey is accused of wearing a colonel's uniform at a military function on May 30 -- Memorial Day.

While both men have military experience, neither achieved the rank they portrayed, said U.S. Attorney Mary Beth Buchanan, who declined to provide details about their military service.

Buchanan would not say whether either man received financial or other benefits from posing as officers and also declined to say who turned them in. Similar charges have been brought against others for impersonating law enforcement officers, but Buchanan said she believes this is the first time her office has charged someone with impersonating a military officer.

And that is a serious no-no, she said Tuesday.

"To have individuals simply impersonate officers is an offense we have to address to preserve the integrity of the military service," Buchanan said, adding that military officers attained their ranks and positions through hard work and service. To masquerade as an officer dishonors that achievement, she said.

Marine Maj. David Sylvester of the General Officer Matters Office in Quantico, Va., said "it's kind of laughable" that someone would pretend to be a military officer because the people they are lying to are the very ones who will investigate their military background.

"On one level, you feel so sorry for them," Sylvester said. "On the other hand, you take a lot of pride in being a Marine officer -- in being a Marine. There's a big sense of accomplishment and pride. And people who impersonate officers should be brought to justice."

Al Lona, quartermaster of the Veterans of Foreign Wars post in Monaca, Beaver County, wasn't as reserved.

"I have no respect for them. None whatsoever," said Lona, 88, a World War II veteran.

Neither man could be reached for comment. McKelvey and Eastman are scheduled to be arraigned on Nov. 29 and Dec. 1, respectively.

What a bunch of sorry arses I hope they burn there tired old arses..

Now that is sad. Like it said the people they are surrounded by would be apt to investigate them. It's just in our nature to look at anything that might be out of place.

Credits
    Savings
    My question is, if they have had prior military service, are they too ashamed of it to display what they had actually accomplished?

Just wondering.....

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    "Posers" plague us everywhere. Even up here in Canada we have a loudmouth woman that claims she is a Viet Nam Veteran. We had kicked her out of our Veteran's organization years ago, and she still tries to crash our events and talk to the media.

We had an event yesterday for Aboriginal Veteran's Day. After the ceremonies, sure enough she was in front of the cameras like a dirty shirt. She outrageously claimed that she was the National Vice President of our organization.

I had to talk to the reporters and fill them in on her false statements. ALL of them prudently decided not to use her interviews.

Later when I confronted her, she flew off the handle and started ridiculous shouting in front of the public. They all just shook there heads and knew she was lying.

I should use my connections and see if she is breaking any Canadian laws on false service claims.

Yes i agree yellowwing you should do that.

I too am curious as to what the military experience was. I respect the officers, but I am too proud to have been an NCO to even wish I was one. You do have to feel bad for someone at that age who has so little accomplished in their life so as to have to pretend they are something that they are not.

RB1651, maybe they didn't accomplish anything during their time in service so they had to make up something...just another case of a "wanna be..." You know, if you can't go first class, make up something...

I can't find pity for either one. What did they do while serving? When did they serve? And who did they serve with? Each one did something to disgrace the Bracnh they tried to impersonate. They impersonated an Officer of that Branch and probably used it to their advantage. No-one knows as to what damage has been done by these two idiots if they were able to tell "their Stories" to other military junior members. What lies have they rot upon the military in general?

Then again I guess the question is ... how many more are out there and who are they? Why do they feel taht they can impersonate something that they have never been? And what drives people like this to do what they have done? Is there a mental issue here? To go through life to the age that they are and continue to brag on rights that they have never earned is totally idiotic. If they are so alone is this world there are other options that they could have used. Other avenues that they could have approached. If they wanted to be a part of something so bad they could have requested permission to join certain functions. But to what extent did they think they would get away with it.

Thread Information