My visit with LCpl Shawn Seeley - Page 11
Create Post
Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member captken's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Prayer works, gents...it really works! But we gotta hang in there for them. BTW Gunny, no thanks to me. You started this!

I just got Christmas gift mailing instructions for a friend's nephew who is with the Army's 101st in Iraq. I'll post here when I have time to write it all down. Does anyone know the protocol for sending to Marine units?

What upset me is that this kid (19 and on his second tour!!) told his uncle that some Soldiers rarely, if ever, get mail. Well...if they don't get mail they sure as he!! won't get Christmas presents. As a surviver of two Christmas' in Vietnam I'm NOT going to let that happen! I'll start a new thread for this so I don't clog up Shawn's thread.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Steve Brooke has provided an update on LCpl Seeley's condition. Shawn do not give up at all stay focused. You have had an excellent healing process to date and you are still going to do a good job from this point on. We are all still praying for a full recovery for you and everybody at where ever they are. Steve. Thank you for your updates we will go extra on this. I know that everybody is with it on this come Marines let get it on...!!!

Semper Fidelis,
    GySgtRet

Ed,
    Sorry it has been so long since my last update. There really wasn't that much to report until today. I will let you know as soon as I hear from Robin about when they are shipping out. I have asked either Robin or Mom to get Doc's address at Brooke so we can continue to keep him supported once he is there. Robin said that Doc will not be shipped out today, but possibly tomorrow.
    Regards,
    Steve

Updated 11/14/05 11:26am PST
    Dear Friends,
    I got a phone call from Robin this morning and the news on Shawn's right hand is not very good. She spoke with the orthopedist this morning and the doctor told them that the right hand will require extensive reconstructive surgery and even then, they are not very optimistic that he will be able to use his right hand at all. They believe that there is nerve damage on the hand as well as tendon and ligament damage. At this point, Shawn is unable to move any fingers on his right hand more than 1/8th of an inch by himself.
    They will be running nerve conductivity tests on the right hand in the near future to ascertain the extent of the damage, but as I said, the doctor was not optimistic. So once again I will ask all of you to pray for a miracle.
    Shawn has refused to talk much about his hand to anyone at this point, and I am sure that he must be very discouraged. Please pray that his spirit will be uplifted.
    Robin and Mom are really feeling the strain as well. My heart was breaking as I listened to Robin crying on the other end of the phone. I know how drained I was just from my short visit out to see them and I can't imagine what it has been like for them these past 5 weeks. There is still no definitive date for when Shawn and Robin will be coming home, but I know they both feel as though it can't come soon enough.
    Other than Shawn's hand, he is progressing well. They are going to try and take him to the Marine Exchange today. That will involve a transfer into a vehicle, so it will be a good test for him before he goes home. I will let you know how that goes when I hear more. Thank you all for your continued prayers and support. It means more to us that we could ever fully express.
    God Bless,
    Steve

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Certainly there will be prayers for one and all heading your way. It'll be good for Shawn to remain positive through his healing and adapting process. (naturally, it is easier said than done) It is commendable that Shawn has such a support network going for him. He is quite a fortunate man. I'm thinking positive. Hang in there, Shawn.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the update. Are prayers are there as well.

I noticed a thread for Texas Marines with some from San Antonio. I'll try to get some of them to respond to our request for support for Doc.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings

The body is capable of amazing things...

IF THE MIND WILL LET IT !!

Shawn,
    Prayers continue daily. For every one, but for you and 'Doc' by special mention.

Your body has already made amazing strides to recovery. The human body was put together by more than just 'intelligent design', it was truly DIVINE design. And the mind plays a key roll.

Now, I don't want this to start sounding like an 'ole man speech' that you dreeded in your teen years, but...

I know you've heard 'mind over matter'.
    The brain TELLS the body what to do. And the body has the ability to heal itself. Maybe we can't grow new parts, but if the parts are there, I truly believe that the body can make them useful again.
    But YOU have to make it happen.
    YOU have to open that little tap that gets the brain on the recovery path.
    YOU have to give it the tools it needs to do the work with.

GUNG HO

A matter of harmony. Every thing working together for the common goal.
    The mind and the body function as one, when in harmony.
    Tap the truth that lies inside of you.
    The truth that you already know the bodys healing powers have baffled the Drs. that you are moving as fast as you have. The truth that comes from KNOWING, which is beyond faith, that something good will come of your efforts.

Terry

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the update Steve and Ed.

Shawn, hang in there Brother. You have proved to the Doctor's that you have they strength and willpower to overcome enormous difficulties. I have faith in you, and all that support you that you can overcome another challenge. Keep positive, and trust in yourself and the Almighty that you will fully recover.

Prayers will continue for you and all of our Brothers and Sisters that continue to fight the good fight.

Semper Fi,

Ron

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Steve Brooke has provided and update on Shawn and Doc Leo. Thank you Steve for your continuous updates. Shawn youv'e done a great job on your recovery and I aplaud you excellent efforts congratulations on bearing wieght on at least one of your legs. Now it is one step at a time then you can go right left foot right foot just like at San Diego on your recruit training days. Prayers seem to be working we will just put the volume up a little bit more. Doc Leo, good luck out in Texas it is a mighty big state you know. Good luck out there...!!!

Semper Fidelis.

Updated 11/15/95 3:35 PST

Dear Friends,

Today was a very big day. They moved Shawn's surgery up
    to this morning, so his pins are now out. He has been given clearance
    to put weight on his left leg as is tolerable. So that is what he did
    after he came out of surgery. He was able to put some of his weight on
    the leg as he transfered from one chair to another. This was so great
    for his attitude. I just got off the phone with him and he said "It's
    good to finally feel like I'm healing!" I could hear the pride in his
    voice. What a huge boost for his spirits. There is some potential bad
    news though. It looks like Shawn will not be transferred to Madagan
    after all. They are still looking into one more possiblity in the
    Seattle area, but if that falls through then Shawn will go to Brooke
    Army medical in San Antonio. We should have a better idea in the next
    few days. "Doc" Randell will be leaving for Brooke early tomorrow
    morning. He gave Shawn a framed picture of the two of them together at
    Bethesda and Shawn gave Randell a mug with the Corpsman emblem for him to "have his first beer once he's out of here"
    with. Randell was not sure of what his mailing address will be at
    Brooke, but I will pas it along as soon as I have it. Thank you all
    once again for your support and prayers.
    God Bless,

Steve

Credits
    Savings
    Shawn, the Gunny and I have been working on this (beware the combined brainpower of an E-7 and an O-6...7 minus 6 = E/O-1...yeah that's about right!) Anyway we figured that if you could get the hospital staff to paint yellow footprints by your bed you could practice standing there for hours on end.

Seriously, you're having some crazy ups and downs that are hard on you, Amanda and your whole family. Please know that if we could make the pain go away we would. But we can't. What we can do is never leave you behind...not physically on the battlefield...not emotionally in a hospital bed.

When we left your room on Saturday my wife commented on how hard this must be for those who are staying with you. That's something that she understands from my long hospital stay that I just can't understand. She wants to be sure that your Mom, Grandma and Amanda...anyone who is here for days on end...is holding up. We want you to let us know if you think that they need a break.

I don't know how many of us are in the area but I'm sure some of us could help...maybe just to take them out (you too, when you can sit in a vehicle) and see the sights around DC...whatever. You keep an eye on them and let us know. No one knows them better than you.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    captken-
    Your combined genius (The Gunny and yourself) have come up with what I think is a real, pardon the expression, "ball busting" idea. You can make yellow foot prints out of out of some sort of heavy duty vinyl (like the kind that can attach to refrigerators by static. Just find the largest shoe that either one of yo can find, make a wooden template, and start cutting out yellow foot prints. You may wish to print motivational Marine Corps slogans on each foot print or have each footprint autographed by well wishers. Once that is done all Shawn would have to do is have someone place the foot prints on the floor, as if someone were walking, and follow the path. Maybe all foot prints wouldn't be used at one time. Maybe the would be used to monitor his recovery progress.
    What say ye?
    Both you and the Gunny could market this idea a create a recovery fund from all proceeds. Maybe they could be sold in sets of 12 footprints per box or as many foot prints as there are General Orders. I think you folks are on to something of great magnitude.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Talking

Gary,

Combined genius. I am not going to let you talk to me that way...!!! Captken is the brains behind this one. I just provide the cadence.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up

ATTENTION ON DECK...!!!

LCpl Shawn Seeley is going home....!!!!

Steve Brooks has given me an update as of today for Shawn. Shawn if I miss you on Saturday because you have gone home I will be sad because I missed your visit but very glad indeed that you made it back home. If that is the case I wish you well. WE need to talk about what you said to me on the last visit with you though about the invitation that you gave to me. ANyway here is what Steve has to say.

Ed, Good news all around. I'll let you know as soon as I hear if Shawn will be there for you to visit on Saturday.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Updated 11/16/05 2:23 PST
    I spoke to Robin ths morning and Shawn will be admitted to St. Joseph's
    Medical Center in Tacoma, WA. This is about a 25 minute drive from his
    parents house. Robin said that he could leave anytime between Friday
    and next Wednesday, it is just a matter of coordinating everything.
    Robin, Mom and Shawn were all very excited at the news and were hastily
    calling everyone to tell them that they will be back in time for Thanksgiving!
    Shawn was also able to have his first shower today. He thought it felt
    wonderful. He told his mom that he wishes that he could shower everyday.
    She told she did too, but I think her reasons were a little different!
    I will let you all know when I have firmer dates for the return home.
    Thank you all for your continued prayers and support.
    God Bless,
    Steve

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Too bad Shawn....
    a shower means

NO MORE SPONGE BATHS by those nurses in Osotogarys cartoon

But great news at the same time. Did it feel as good as that FIRST shower in boot camp ?? You know, the cold one !! lol

GUNG HO !!

Hang in there devil dog.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Talking

mrbsox,

You have a good point about the sponge baths. Dang. Hey Shawn you better let them do that one more time...!!!

Wow, Great News On The Going Home. Been Awhile Since I Last Got On To Say, Glad Things Are Going Good Shawn,and On The Close To Home Stay. Shower, Wash Down By The Nurses, Heck, I Think Amanda Would Fit It On The Help There. Some-one Post The Addy Of The New Place When He Gets There Please.

Wow, Great News On The Going Home. Been Awhile Since I Last Got On To Say, Glad Things Are Going Good Shawn,and On The Close To Home Stay. Shower, Wash Down By The Nurses, Heck, I Think Amanda Would Fit It On The Help There. Some-one Post The Addy Of The New Place When He Gets There Please.

Thread Information