My visit with LCpl Shawn Seeley - Page 6
Create Post
Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast
    Marine Friend Free Member captken's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I briefly visited all three of our "sons" last night; Shawn, Randall, and 1LT Hendricks. Met Shawn's grandma, a super nice lady. From my uneducated observation Shawn looked pretty good for having had surgury. We talked a little but I noticed he was hitting the magic button frequently so I moved on and let him rest.

Randall was the surprise of the evening. Boy did he look great!! Grinning from ear to ear, a firm hand shake and a wonderful attitude. His jaw is wired shut. Since he was zonked the last time I was up there I didn't notice. His stomach was bandaged heavily but it didn't stop him from having a milk shake and juice. His girlfriend, Alex, was there. Randall showed me all the cards he'd received and wondered how people knew he was there. I told him about "Leatherneck.com". He was VERY grateful. Hopefully Alex will get on the computer in the common area and send us some info. I gave her the address and told her we'd love to hear from them. Randall was still being the "Doc". He knew all about "his" Marines and proceeded to tell me about them.

The Lieutennant had his dad and girl friend in with him. He didn't understand how I knew about him and they were obviously very guarded about what they told me. Dad, a retired Marine, started to catch on when I told him I was retired Navy and working for the Marine Corps at Quantico. I told them about Leatherneck.com. Finally when I said I was a Mustang they seemed to relax a little. The Lieutennant even gave me a "Semper Fi" when I left. He's pretty weak and tired but has been out and about with a walker twice.

This time I went up to their floor thinking I was well prepared to really take charge in each room (being the wise ol' retired officer that I am!) Once again I was pretty much tongue-tied when I was in their presence. I am in awe of these heros and their loved ones. Where do these wonderful families come from?!

In short, prayers help. They not only heal bodies but, more importantly, they heal hearts. That last part is pretty important because we all know that not all bodies can heal, but all hearts can.

We have their hospital address somewhere in this thread. They'd love to hear from you. Also please remember there are lots of beds around the country with wounded Marines, Soldiers and Sailers. I'm sure they all could use the same love and attention. Also I am impressed with the Nurses and Corpsmen on the Surgical Recovery floor. They have a tough job and it must break their hearts to see these kids all busted up and hurting. The next time I go up I think I'll take them some flowers. I'm sure a card addressed to "Staff" at the address that we have for Shawn will get to them and they could use a thank you, too.

Semper fi!

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Excellent thought about the staff - all that I have seen are comapssionate and thoroughly professional. (even if some of those corpsmen look like they should be in middl0l school) Cookies would be welcome I guess.

I just received a telephone call from Mr. Irvin Axlerod, head of the Northern Virginia Amputee Coalition - and a combat amputee from the Korean War. Mr. Axlerod is also a peer counselor for amputees at Walter Reed Army Medical Center.

Anyway, he spent about 2 hours with Randell's family and with Randell - he and Randell compared injury areas, lol - and he gave them an amazing amout of information and brochures on amputationa, after-effects and also various support groups around the country. He has already lined Randell up with one in San Diego. He then visited all the other amputees who areon the same surgical floor and Randell and Shawn ( who was sleeping rather heavily, so Mr. Axlerod will be back to see him), but he did get to speak with Shawn's mom and told her she looked too young to have a 19-year old son......

Mr. Axlerod has been asked to help set up a peer counseling group at Bethesda, which he will do. He told me that he will tell "the folks at Walter Reed I can't be there. We have neglected our Marines and corpsmen." - So, he will bring more visits to Randell, to the other amputees and a lot of folks to visit or to send cards.

Outstanding sir, orrahhhhhhhhhhh Semper Fi and Thank You..

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up

marinemom,

How do you do it...??? I read up on Mr Axerod. The man is 72 years old and quite an expert. He has appeared before congress and has been in the presents of Lady Di and Queen Noor of Jordan. I think it was called Landmine Survivors Network. They are doing a lot of work for amputees, and with Mr Axelrod's help the Marines and Corpsman at Bethesda will now have a chance to be councelled. Good job ma'am.

Thank you for them, that they may be healed...!!!

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Smile

Steve Brooks, has given the updte to use in this email Evedentaly Steve is with Shawn at Bethesda now. I know he mentioned being there to give his family a break once in a while. We continue to pray for Shawn and all of the others. Shawn hang in there.. We are all glad to see that you have made progress...

Gunny,
    You should have seen Shawn's face when he saw all the threads and posts on his behalf on Leatherneck.com. Thank you again for all the support, prayerful and otherwise, that you have given all of us.

God Bless, Steve

updated 10/28/05 7:54pm PST
    Dear Friends,
    I am sitting here next to Shawn as he tries to get some sleep. It is
    so wonderful to see him!! He is eating much better and I can't believe
    >how well he is moving his legs. He was able to swing his legs over the
    side of the bed entirely by himself today and is hoping to try and get
    in a wheelchair tomorrow! He seems in very good spirits and is amazed
    at all the love and support all of you have shown him through your
    letters, visits and prayers. His face lit up when I brought out my
    laptop (he is a serious computer junkie) and he even jumped on a chat
    room (typing with one finger) to the utter amazement of a few of his
    online buddies! The other huge highlight of the day was that Corpsman
    Randell was able to come by Shawn's room via wheelchair and visit.
    Randell is suffering from a respiratory infection so both young men had
    to have masks on, but the masks could not hide the smiles on each of
    their faces as they saw each other for the first time since the
    explosion. I should have a picture of both of them tomorrow. Robin,
    Mom and Shawn have all mentioned how blessed they feel to be showered
    by all the support and prayers that you continue to give our family.
    If I sound like a broken record mentioning our thanks, it is simply
    because there is no way we could ever say it enough. I'll have more for all of you tomorrow and maybe so words from Shawn himself.

Love, Steve

Credits
    Savings
    A big orahhh to all of you fine people for who are out there and able to see our "sons" for keeping the rest of us posted. Great suggestion about the cards and letters for the support staff and groups around the country. I will be sending out a card today to the staff at the hospital.

Shawn, Randell, and Lt., it's great to hear that you are getting better. It sounds like all of you have such wonderful families supporting you on your road to recovery. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and them.

God Bless, Get Well, and SEMPER FI!!!

Hey Steve!!! It has been awhile since I have seen you, Wish we could have been there at the same time. I am headed back in two weeks or possibly less. Hopefully we will see eachother again under better circumstances! When you go see shawn next give him a great big hug for me, and tell him i am proud of him. I can't wait to see Micheal too, i bet he is getting so big!

Amanda

Quote Originally Posted by rb1651
    A big orahhh to all of you fine people for who are out there and able to see our "sons" for keeping the rest of us posted. Great suggestion about the cards and letters for the support staff and groups around the country. I will be sending out a card today to the staff at the hospital.

Shawn, Randell, and Lt., it's great to hear that you are getting better. It sounds like all of you have such wonderful families supporting you on your road to recovery. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and them.

God Bless, Get Well, and SEMPER FI!!!
    how may Marines do we have (leatherneck and others) at bethesda?

Lemme know... I woud like to stop by... any one bringing USMC bday cake to them.

email me if so... I will buy a cake and take it up there .

S/F,

Mike W

P.S. I am out of town that week.. wold like to do it the week after if possible

pointguy@verizon.net

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I'd call the Marine Casualty Desk at Bethesda first - they may have something on for the Birthday 301-695-6111. I am sure they can hekp

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Exclamation

Steve Brooks has given us an update. And a message from yours truely. Keep up the good work Shawn. I am hoping that you get the wheelcahir tomorrow. I could only imagine what your cabin fever is like.

Semper Fidelis,
    GySgtRet

Updated 10/29/05 6:44 pm PST
    Hello dear friends, I am here with Shawn and he would like to say a
    few words to all of you. He'll talk and I'll type...
    Here's Shawn:

"I just want to say hi to everybody. I am doing okay and I am getting
    better every day. I can't wait to get into a wheelchair and get out of
    my room. Being in bed for almost four weeks gets on your nerves and
    drives you crazy. Thank you for all your support and prayers. I really appreciate it. Love LCPL Shawn Seeley."

Shawn slept a lot today and was not able to get into the wheelchair
    because the one he needed was already in use once he woke up. He had
    some pain with his gallbladder today, but is doing better now. He is the first one on the list for the wheelchair tomorrow, so he is excited about that. I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Thank you for all your prayers and support.

Love,
    Steve

Credits
    Savings
    Marinemom, I talked to the Navy Chief who is in charge of Marine patient relations (whatever they call it). He wasn't too keen on strangers going up to the Surgury floor unless they were VIPs. As you know, however, that's not the feeling we get from the kids on the floor.

Otherwise that's a fantastic idea to get some cake up on the floor for everyone!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Steve Brooks has provivded and update and some pictures for the Marines here on Leatherneck. Thank you Steve for feeding out appitite for knowledge. GySgtRet.

Updated 10/30/05 8:15pm PST]Before I update you on Shawn today, let me first clarify one thing from
    the last email. The physical therapist felt that Shawn needed a
    special wheelchair that could recline for his first time out of bed. There is not a shortage of wheelchairs at Bethesda Naval. Sorry for the confusion.
    Shawn had a great day today! He was able to brush his teeth by himself
    with his left hand today and also feed himself. It was great to see
    him finally do some things that we all take for granted. Their was
    definately a look of pride and satisfaction on his face after he accomplished both of those tasks today. He was also able to finally get out of bed!!!! They used a special crane lift to lift him out and set him in the wheelchair. hawn's first priority was to return the visits he had received from Lt.
    ]Hendricks and Corpsman Randel. They were all excited to spend time
    visiting with each other. Shawn was in the chair for about 3 hours and
    was off his pain meds the entire time! Attached are pictures of Shawn
    in the lift, Shawn and Randell and Shawn and Lt. Hendricks. While he
    was in visiting with Lt. Hendircks, he even got to talk on the phone with his CO in. The CO passed on Shawn's phone number at Iraq Bethesdato the rest of his unit, so he is looking forward to calls from his buddies.
    It was a real morale boost for all of us to see him out of bed for the
    first time. We realize that he has a long way to go, but this was a
    significant step. Shawn will be in surgery tomorrow to remove the
    spacer in his right hand and the stitches in his left arm. Thank you
    all for your continued support and prayers. We love you all.
    God Bless, Steve

Updated 10/29/05 6:44 pm PSTHello dear friends, I am here with Shawn and he would like to say a few words to all of you.
    He'll talk and I'll type... Here's Shawn:
    I just want to say hi tro everybody. I am doing okay and I am getting better every day. I can't wait to get into a wheelchair and
    get out of my room. Being in bed for almost four weeks gets on your
    nerves and drives you crazy. Thank you for all your support and
    prayers. I really appreciate it. Love LCPL Shawn Seeley."

Shawn slept a lot today and was not able to get into the wheelchair
    because the one he needed was already in use once he woke up. He had
    some pain with his gallbladder today, but is doing better now. He is the first one on the list for the wheelchair tomorrow, so he is excited about that.I will let you all know how it goes tomorrow. Thank you for all yourprayers and support
    Love, Steve
    updated 10/28/05 7:54pm PSTDear Friends.I am sitting here next to Shawn as he tries to get some sleep. It is
    so wonderful to see him!! He is eating much better and I can't
    believe how well he is moving his legs. He was able to swing his
    legs over the side of the bed entirely by himself today and is hoping
    to try and get in a wheelchair tomorrow! He seems in very good
    spirits and is amazed at all the love and support all of you have shown him through your letters, visits and prayers. His face lit upwhen I brought out my laptop (he is a serious computer junkie) and he even jumped on a chat room (typing with one finger) to the utter amazement of a few of his online buddies! The other huge highlight of the day was that Corpsman Randell was able to come by Shawn's room via wheelchair and visit. Randell is suffering from a respiratory infection so both young men had to have masks on, but the masks could not hide the smiles on each of their faces as they saw each other for the first time since the explosion. I should have a picture of both
    of them tomorrow. Robin, Mom and Shawn have all mentioned how
    blessed they feel to be showered by all the support and prayers that
    you continue to give our family. If I sound like a broken record
    mentioning our thanks, it is simply because there is no way we could
    ever say it enough. I'll have more for all of you tomorrow and maybe so words from Shawn himself.
    Love, Steve
    pdated 10/27/05 4:43pm
    A just got this email from Robin and wanted to pass it along:
    Hi all. Today has been a day of ups and downs. Shawn was having a great deal of pain in his right hand where they did surgery yesterday.
    After unsuccessfully dealing with his night-time nurse for 3 hours,
    we were able to finally get the day shift nurse to have the doctor
    visit him and give him some additional meds for his hand. Once he
    got the pain under control, he has been able to maintain a tolerable
    level of pain. He is doing great with his physical therapy and was
    even able to hang his legs over the side of the bed! He is hoping he
    will get the okay to get in a wheelchair soon. A change if scenery would be nice! He was blessed by another visit by Lt. Hendricks this afternoon and the two of them were able to visit for about 10 minutes until the Physical Therapist said the Lt. needed to get moving (he was standing with the assistance of his walker for thiswhole visit.) Randall was sitting in a chair and really wants to see Shawn & the Lt. but he has a respiratory infection and we don’t want the other two to get it so they have been communicating via phone calls for now
    The occupational therapist came by today and made a special splint for Shawn that will allow him to straighten his ring and pinkie
    finger on the lt hand which he had been unable to do due to the
    ulnar nerve damage. Later one of the ortho docs came in to check
    out his lt. elbow and shoulder. After exam, she felt that a piece
    of shrapnel has probably severed the nerve. They will be doing a newnerve conductive test toward the end of next week. If it is severed
    they will attempt to reattach both ends of the nerve. If the ends of
    the nerves are too damaged, they can take a nerve from Shawn’s calf and use that. Shawn has a lot of atrophy in the muscles of his hand
    already and she said regardless of whether the nerve is damaged or
    severed, he will never get his hand back to where it was before. We know first hand that God can perform miracles but it was still hard to hear. They have reviewed the xrays of Shawn’s lt. shoulder and
    his shoulder has started to grow additional bone due to the trauma.
    They are going to start exercising his shoulder in hopes of slowing
    this but he may have to have surgery to remove some of the bone.They aren’t sure about whether or not he has a torn rotator cuff but treatment of that would be secondary to fixing the other problem anyway
    Sorry to keep going on and on but for a day where nothing was
    scheduled, it sure has been a busy day. Thank you all for your continued support and prayers. They mean more that you could ever know.
    Love,
    Robin

Updated 10/26/2005 5:22 PM PST
    Mom called and Shawn is out of surgery. (it was delayed for a few
    (hours) The doctors said that the surgery went well. The place a
    sponge in between the ring finger and the pinkie that will act as a
    spacer until the surgically remove it on Monday. During that
    procedure, they will also be removing the stitches in his left arm. While he was under the anesthesia they gave him a thorough cleaning
    from head to toe. Mom says that hopefully he will smell better!
    No nightmares last night, but he did have some problems with his
    gallbladder. They elevated the drain on his gallbladder to keep it
    rom draining. That way they can see how he responds and know if
    he needs to keep the drain in place. After a few hours Shawn was
    having a lot of discomfort, so the drain will still be there for
    ]now. Thank you for you continued prayers for Shawn and our family.
    If I talk to Robin tonght, I will try to get an update on Corpsman Randell.
    God Bless you all,
    Steve

Updated 10/25/05 9:00 PM PST
    Here is the latest from Robin: Shawn is scheduled for surgery on
    his right hand tomorrow around 12:30 EST. He has regained some of
    his appetite, so the doctor's are leaving the feeding tube out for
    now. He did some therapy on both of his hands today and was able
    to move all the fingers in the left hand except the ring finger
    and the pinkie. The therapist said that he has damage to the
    urnal nerve (the one that goes crazy when you hit your funny
    bone), but it is unclear whether this is something temporary or
    long-term.
    They are not sure as yet how extensive the damage is and will have
    to have an MRI on the hand to figure that out. The therapist also
    worked on Shawn's right hand and forced his fingers to bend and when straighten out.
    aid that he was rapidly pressing his pain button throughout the
    therapy on the right hand. By himself, Robin says that he is
    moving the fingers on the right hand about 1/16th to 1/8th of an
    inch. He is moving his legs very well and can even sit up on his
    own, which is great considering the damage to his pelvis and
    sacral area. He had no nightmares last night, so that makes two nights in a row. Please remember Shawn in your prayers when he goes into surgery tomorrow. It really takes a lot out of him. Hopefully I
    will here from either Robin or Mom once he gets out of surgery to
    let you all know.

God Bless,]
    Steve

Updated 10/24/05 7:40PM PST
    I just got off the phone with Robin and Shawn had a pretty good day.
    He was able to do 35 minutes of physical therapy, but it pretty much wore him out. The good news is there were no nightmares last night!! The plastic surgeon did not come by today, so hopefully tomorrow. If Shawn's hand has progressed enough they will be doing plastic surgery on the right hand later in the week. They will be taking a skin graft from Shawn's groin to rebuild the webbing between his ring finger and pinkie. Robin and Mom are rather beat and the days will get a little longer now that Shawn's girlfriend, Mandy has headed back home. Robin just got the laptop that I sent her and sent me the attached pictures of Shawn receiving him Purple Heart from the Commandant of the Marine Corps. Some of you have asked about the Lieutenant from Shawn's unit. The Lt's name is Matthew Hendricks. He was never in ICU but has extensive shrapnel wounds. I will let you all know more on him and Randell when I have more information. Thank you all for your
    thoughts and prayers.
    God Bless,
    Steve

Last edited by GySgtRet; 11-05-05 at 06:52 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Steve Brooks has given us an update on Shawn. Thank you for the updates Steve. How long will his recovery be for the gallbladder?

Updated 10/31/05 11:09am PST

Dear friends, just a quick update before I get on the plane to fly home.
    Shawn was having more pain in his gallbladder and so they ran a dye test on him and found out that the drain line from his gallbladder is leaking
    internally. So they will be removing his gallbladder while the perform the
    other procedures on him this afternoon. Shawn is actually relieved by this because he was in a great deal of pain from it and had been asking them to remove it for the last day or so. The doctor assured the family that the area where the bile was leaking should not affect his liver functions and he should feel much better once it is removed. When I left for the
    airport, they did not have a definite time window for his surgery, but I
    should be this afternoon. I will be in contact with Robin once I get off
    the plane and will let all of you know as soon as I am able. Thank you for
    continuing to hold our family in your thoughts and prayers.

God Bless,
    Steve

Gunny, Thanks,for All The Updates And Pics. Glad To See He Can Get Out Of That Bed And See Things. Shawn And The Rest Looks Like They Are Healing Pretty Good. Them Prayers Are Still Going Out For All.

Credits
    Savings
    Shawn, congratulation on your gallbladder removal. Remember...only real men can go through life without a gallbladder! And yes, the pain stops once it's out. Least it did for me.

Thread Information