Veteran Status?
Create Post

Thread: Veteran Status?

Veteran Status?

I just have a question about one's status as a veteran. I went to Parris Island in December 03 and was medically discharged due to complications with my knee. Now that I'm back I periodically get things from VA in the mail. I'm wondering if this means I'm considered a veteran or if it's just par of the course. I generally just chuck it, because I don't believe I've earned the right to Veteran benefits, and would just like to know from one of you VA gurus if there is a way for me to change my status (if I am in fact filed as a veteran)? In my mind I don't rate for such a title.

-Sullivan

How long were you in before you were medically discharged?

Credits
    Savings
    Did you recieve seperation pay?

I receieved pay for boot camp, but I don't recall receiving any separation pay. As for how long I was in, I was only at Parris Island for a month, but I was in the DEP for 8...from April 03 to December 03. It's just strange cause I keep getting veteran's stuff in the mail...I got a 'welcome home' booklet from MA State Government two months ago...and guess what, it would've coincided with my return from Iraq. One of the GySgts who I ran into during outprocessing told me that I should always put down that I served in the Marines on job applications, forms, whatever. I haven't, however...so I just don't understand where this VA stuff is coming from.

Thanks for the replies.

-Sullivan

Best way to get a answer is go apply for benifits .
    Its either yea or nay.
    All you have to do is to prove you served more than 6 months active duty.
    Its your nickle go for it

Credits
    Savings
    Yeah I agree SSgt. apply for benefits .

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    CrazyBrave call 1-800-827-1000 ... 0830 to 1630 your time and pose all your questions to a Veteran counselor. You are probally getting mail and inforrmation because you were discharged medically under honorable conditions,even though your discharge was medical. There is criteria of continuous length of service for different things.I don't know if that means bootcamp or not. I would be remiss if I said I know so check with the VA at this # and see what they say. They will ask for a claim # and since you don't have one explain your situation to them,most can be helpful. Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall

Credits
    Savings
    Hey Sully,
    As a vet rep, I can tell you that if you have a DD 214 you are a veteran. What that means is you are entitled to cerain benefits such as disability. Since you have served during a time of war, you are entitled to other benefits that most wouldn't be such as home loans.
    CAS (the S is for Sullivan!!)

I appreciate all the responses. If anything I'll most likely just let it slide. I don't think I deserve benefits in any way, shape, or form. I'll wait 'til I claim the title to get 'em.

But thanks again, glad this is cleared up.

Thread Information