Punk rocker serves in Iraq, focuses on change
II Marine Expeditionary Force (FWD)
Story by Lance Cpl. Josh Cox

CAMP FALLUJAH, Iraq (Oct. 10, 2005) -- Punk rockers have made their mark on society for more than 20 years, entertaining audiences with distorted guitars, brash lyrics and energetic performances; but, one has made his mark in another important way.

Lance Cpl. Ryan M. Eberly, communications center operator, G-2 section, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Headquarters Group, II MEF (FWD), was a drummer in a punk rock band throughout high school before joining the Marine Corps in 2003.

“I was part of a band, a punk rock band,” said the Reading, Pa., native. “We played shows at a place called ‘Sound Waves.’ It was basically an indoor skate park and concert hall.”

Eberly said the group made a few demo tapes, and performed at the skate park on a regular basis.

As high school was coming to an end, it was time for the members of “Korey and the Other Two” (Eberly’s band) to go their separate ways.

“I was kind of unsure about what I wanted to do,” said the 2004 graduate of Muhlenburg High School, Reading, Pa. “I had it narrowed down to a few choices.”

Eberly, a quiet, broad shouldered Marine, said the military would give him an opportunity to serve his country, and at the same time receive a college education.

“I figured that [joining the military] would be a way to pay for college,” he said.

Eberly said he chose the Marine Corps for the challenge, and decided to enter the intelligence field when he enlisted into the Delayed Entry Program.

The19-year-old stepped on the legendary yellow footprints aboard Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, S.C., June 14, 2004, where he completed Recruit Training.

After completing initial training and Crypto Technician/Signals Collection School in Pensacola, Fla., he was assigned to 2nd Radio Battalion based at Marine Corps Base, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

Less than one year after leaving his hometown of Reading for boot camp, he was deployed to Iraq serving with the intelligence section.

Eberly said since deploying, he has gained a lot of useful information in his job field.

“I’ve learned a lot, and in the short time I’ve been here, I’m starting to take control of what’s going on in the shop,” he said.

Even though Eberly is a junior Marine, he was counted on to help arriving intelligence Marines learn the ropes in the office.

“I had to take charge and make sure everyone else was schooled up,” he said.

Becoming a leader of Marines is one of the main goals Eberly hopes to accomplish in the deployment.

“I want to learn as much as possible,” he said. “I want to make my mark.”

Eberly said his parents are very supportive of his career and deployment.

“My dad is all for it,” he said. “He shows how much he cares just by sending all different kinds of stuff in the mail.”

The avid drummer said he is proud to serve, and is prepared to go where the Corps needs his expertise the most.

“If I had to stay out here for a year, I’d do it, no problem,” he said. “[Camp Fallujah] is the longest duty station I’ve had.”

Ellie