Cpl. John Stalvey
Create Post

Cpl. John Stalvey

Iraq war hits home

Mon, Oct 10, 2005

Family recalls fallen Marine

By JACK MORSE

The Brunswick News

Cristen Stalvey saw them first. A student at Coastal Georgia Community College, she had just arrived home at her mother's house a week ago when another car bearing two Marines pulled up.

They were in dress uniform and had grim faces. They were there to say that Cristen's brother, a Marine Corps sniper, was dead.

Cpl. John Stalvey, 22, was killed in Iraq on Oct. 3 when a roadside bomb detonated near the humvee he was driving. His funeral was scheduled for today.

Thursday, Cristen sat with her mother, Crystal Merillat, who held her as she cried. Other family members sat nearby. They talked in low tones about Stalvey and remembered him as a family member, a friend. Now and then, forgetting for a moment, perhaps, their grief, they even laughed a little as they recalled Stalvey's sense of humor.

A bit of a wag, he could pull off comical impersonations of Archie and Edith Bunker, characters from the once-popular TV sitcom "All in the Family," on the spot.

"We start reminiscing and just remember crazy things," his mother said.

But they also recalled anecdotes about his kindness, his faith in God, his interests, his energy. Stalvey was an athlete and an artist who had recently taken up the guitar.

Stalvey, like his siblings, Cristen, 18, and an older brother, Matt Stalvey, 24, attended Faith Baptist Christian Academy in Ludowici. There, he was an athletic stand-out, competing on the basketball, soccer, baseball and track teams. But basketball was his favorite.

"Coach called him 'Mr. Hustle,'" Matt recalled. "He'd pick the best player on the other team and tell John, 'That's your man.' And he would stay on him. John would shut him down."

He also won an art contest and produced multiple drawings and sculptures.

After graduating from high school in 2001, Stalvey moved to Conroe, Texas, to live with his uncle, A.P. Merillat, a law enforcement officer. Merillat recalled a vigorous young man who seemed to have little need for sleep.

"Sometimes, I would wake up in the middle of the night and John would have a light on in his room," Merillat said. "He would be either drawing, sculpting, reading his Bible or doing push-ups. Sometimes, he'd get up in the middle of the night and just run for miles in the neighborhood. He had immeasurable energy."

The terrorist attacks in September 2001 unsettled Stalvey tremendously. He began researching the situation and the events that led up to it, collecting "every piece of information he could about that incident," Merillat said. "He had to have it. And it's still at my house. Stacks and stacks of it."

The attacks prompted Stalvey to dust off an idea he had let lie dormant. For years, Stalvey had nursed an interest in the military. But he needed to get to a recruiter. And with no car of his own, he needed a ride.

"He came to me and said, 'Unc, it's time to go,'" Merillat recalled.

The two drove to a recruiting station, and Stalvey talked to a Marine. He decided he wanted to be one, too.

"I wasn't surprised," Matt said, remembering the day his brother talked to him by phone about the decision. "The Marine Corps was John. He decided on them because they're the best. Those are his words. And he was the best. So it was natural."

As a Marine Corps infantryman, Stalvey went on to serve in Cuba, Africa and Afghanistan. Shortly before deploying to Iraq, he graduated from the Corps' elite sniper school in Quantico, Va.

Now, just days after Stalvey's death and four years after he enlisted, his family members say they aren't angry at the military, the government or God.

"A lot of people say that with talent like that, what a waste of a young life," Merillat said. "But we don't look at it like that. That's not a life that was wasted. That's an important life, and it was a valuable sacrifice. So please know that we're not bitter. No one in the family is."

Stalvey's father, Billy Stalvey, said he finds comfort because of his son's faith in Christ.

"I grieve the loss of him, of course," he said. "But I am a Christian and he was, too, so I know where he is, and I'll see him again, by the grace of God."

He paused, and repeated, "By the grace of God, I'll be reunited with him."

A Hero's Farewell For A Spiritual Soldier
    Billy Stalvey talks of his son Cpl. John R. Stalvey
    By Kyle Meenan
    First Coast News

BRUNSWICK, GA – Family and friends say that 22-year old John Stalvey died while fighting for God and Country.

This morning on Chapel Crossing Road, the pews of the Northside Baptist Church were filled with family, friends, former classmates and fellow U.S. Marines.

John Stalvey was described as a hero by those who watched him grow up. A young man guided by his strong Christian faith, in a family of spiritual love.

His older brother, Matt, told those in attendance that his kid brother was in heaven, smiling down on all.

"Please find comfort in knowing that John is waiting for us in heaven. He would not want us to suffer on his behalf."

John Stalvey graduated from the Faith Baptist Christian Academy in Ludowici in 2001. He joined the Marine Corps after the attacks of September 11, later that year, vowing to protect our freedom through tours of duty that took him to Cuba, Africa and Afghanistan.

Earlier this year, Corporal Stalvey graduated from the prestigious sniper school in Quantico, Virginia, serving in Iraq as a so-called guardian angel for our troops.

He died when a makeshift bomb exploded next to the Humvee he and other Marines were traveling in.

The Reverend Terry Sellars spoke of his former student and friend. A young man he says, was an inspiration to all who encountered him.

"I don't know if John's name will ever be placed upon the pages of a history book, but I know, I've seen it so many times this week and in the weeks of John's life looking in the face of people, John's written his name in the hearts of so many. Not on paper, but on flesh," said Rev. Sellars.

In one of the most moving tributes, Stalvey and his fellow Marines were given a blessing and a standing ovation.

"This is small town America," said Reverend Sellars.

"We don't have anybody here marching on the White House. The very freedom they have to march and complain... to hang the President in effigy, was paid for by young men like this. Thank God for the United States Marines!"

Applause swept through the audience at it rose to its feet, offering a thundering ovation that lasted for nearly two minutes.

During a funeral procession through Brunswick, dozens of residents were out of their cars standing with hands over hearts, or saluting. Other waved yellow ribbons and small American flags.

At the cemetary, Corporal John Stalvey was given full military honors. A fellow Marine sniper joining in the 21 gun salute to bid farewell to a favorite son, a fellow soldier, and a hometown hero.

Ellie

Rest In Peace

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    WOW...Such Patriotism. Some of the big cities could sure learn alot from smalltown USA. Rest in Peace Cpl Stavley.

Semper Fidelis

I'm not a marine. I'm just John's cousin and friend.

I have to say this.

What I witnessed the days leading up to the funeral and at the funeral was amazing. I'm not sure how this is going to effect my life but I know that after seeing you guys in action I can't just go on living like I was.

I will never forget standing on the air port runway as the flag draped casket came off the plane. The marines were there. Standing at attention, saluting…with tears dripping off their cheeks.

I have such a new and profound respect for you guys now and have never been more pound of my country and my marines.

- Jeff

I wrote this and had a chance to give it to the nine marines that were on John's detail. I thought I would share it here just one last time.

Thanks to all of you guys from the bottom of my heart.

OohRah

The sun’s heat beats down as a marching song is echoed.
    Back home the TV is on and the grass is being mowed,
    and a Marine marches on.

His boots come down on familiar soil.
    Somewhere a mother brings some water to boil,
    and a Marine marches on.

Evil men are putting their plan into play.
    Millions of people are just greeting the day,
    but a Marine marches on.

A father kisses his daughter before he boards the flight.
    A couple is on the way into work, discussing plans for the night,
    and a Marine marches on.

Now, “The towers are burning.” Comes the news from the wire.
    Everyone tunes in to see the horrible fire,
    but a Marine marches on.

People are dead and heroes are made,
    but the flag still flies over the home of the brave,
    and a Marine marches on.

Fighting begins and is over in time.
    Terror is beaten on yet another side,
    Sill, a Marine marches on.

Many of his fellows have given all,
    but this was not his turn to fall,
    and a Marine marches on.

Now he is sent to another destination.
    “Your job, Marine is to free the nation.”
    and a Marine marches on.

Politicians attack and politicians defend.
    Before long the war will begin,
    and a Marine marches on.

Some send him letters and wish him the best.
    Some send him hate mail and wish for him death,
    but a Marine marches on.

Now his boots come down on unfamiliar soil.
    Protesters are shouting, “No blood for oil!”,
    but a Marine marches on.

A woman falls down and kisses his feet.
    People cheering for him fill the street,
    and a Marine marches on.

Now the war is over and the protesters are gone.
    People’s attention returns to their lawn,
    but a Marine marches on.

Though he is no longer popular or the subject of the day,
    I will rest easier when evil next comes our way,
    because a Marine marches on.

The Marine knows freedom, and knows the price
    The day has come to lay down his life.
    So a Marine marches on.

Friends and family come to do their part
    A mother clutches a purple heart.
    But a Marine marches on.

Now his boots come down on soil of gold.
    He now marches down the eternal road.
    And a Marine marches on.

.....In memory of my cousin and best friend, Corporal John Stalvey, who is now marching home...

He gave his life in sacrifice so that we don’t have to.
    He paid the price for those of us who were not willing.
    He died doing what he wanted to do

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sir,

You are warmly welcome. Even though I did not know your cousin he was in our brotherhood and sisterhood. He will be sorley missed.

Semper Fidelis

You know, that’s what the first sergeant said. “You are now a part of our family, and our family is the best there is.”

I would also like to take this opportunity to let you know that the family - and this is coming from the lips of his mother, sister, and brother - is not bitter at John, the president, or God. They understand that John died doing what he wanted to do.

While a mothers pain is deep and some questions will never be answered she still understands that the ideas of liberty abroad and safety at home were Johns motives. She also shares those ideas.

We told that to countless reporters but I have yet to see it printed.

Semper Fi

- Jeff

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Sir,

The press only wants the juicey stuff like Cindy Sheehan does. When a Marine, Sailor, Airman, or Soldier dies in combat it is always sad to me. Most know the real reasons that they are where they are they swore an oath at their enlistment or the commisioning, believe me they know why. The war on terror has no boundries as the United States found out not only on 9/11 but on other occasions.

Semper Fidelis

Yes, I am learning that about the press. They fail to understand that when someone dies in combat, they are giving themselves for all Americans, including the press.

Thank you for your words. I will pass them on.

Thread Information