Good Conduct Medal - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Originally posted by Joseph P Carey
    Three years of not getting caught. I agree with the Old Marine!

Well, if you should have to find an example of Good Conduct, and you would care to use the Army, you have Audie Murphy, the most decorated man in WWII. The only medal he ever wanted and did not get was the Good Conduct Medal. Two reasons why not: Not enough time as an enlisted man, and his becoming an officer where good conduct is not rewarded or expected.

Sorry Captain! :-)
    Notice the LDO in front of the Capt Joseph P Carey, I have five of them :-)

XD12Minister,
    I am trying to figure this one out???
    You want an example of a Marine that has received the GCM but it must be a Marine that hasn't killed the enemy in combat?
    What is that about? Marines are trained to kill. That's the job when neccesary. That's what Marines are about. Duh!
    We all know why the GCM is awarded to Marines and when.
    Just wondering, why don't you?

What I looking for is what the Good Conduct Medal means to "you", not me. I know what it means to me. I want other peoples words and examples to share with my 2nd - 3rd grade class. I'm looking for examples of diligence, but I don't need an example of someone diligently killing people. I don't need help in that area. The best example offered so far was Major Hendricks Toys-for-Tots program. This is an excellent example of diligence. What I'll do is compile all the information and deliver a message about "Diligence" and use the Good Conduct Medal as an object lesson. Thanks for all your support.

Hey Old Sarge

I'm with you. I always thought it was 36 months of meritoriously not getting caught.

rich

Aside from the obligatory three years of good service without any bad conduct noted in my record, what does the MCGCM mean to me?

It means that no matter how difficult the job was, the living conditions were, the command structure could be, the unbending rules always have been, while during the suppressing of the youth's wildness within me in the most demanding of all services for devotion to duty, to Country, to the Constitution, and to the Marines Corps, to keep a clean and respectful record of duty and service truly is a remarkable achievement.

Being a Fleet Marine in both the 2nd Mar Div and the 1st Mar Div Reinforced, and a barracks Marine in NSA Ft Meade, the MCGCM meant that I had to keep my uniform in good order; my appearance should always be within Marine Corps regulations; my equipment should always be in the best shape as possible under the conditions I was in; my rifle should always be the picture of the most immaculate rifle ever held by a Marine; and, my conduct should always reflect the traditions of the Corps and the history of the Corps for all the brave men that went before me in the Corps, added, I should be the picture dictionary definition of all those that would follow me in the Corps. I am not sure that I always measured up to all that is the definition of a Marine, at all times, but I did receive my MCGCM, and I was proud to have it, and I was prouder to wear it with honor knowing I did a good job at being one of the best, of the few, of the Marines.

Joseph P Carey

Well put Brother.

rich

Thread Information