Boot camp: basic questions answered
Create Post

Boot camp: basic questions answered

Frequently Asked Questions

How long can I expect my future Marine to be at recruit training?
    Approximately 12 weeks (appx. 12 weeks of training and 1 week of "receiving" and "in processing").

What can I do to assist my future Marine during recruit training?
    Write as many positive letters as possible, and as often as possible. Recruits look forward to mail call every day.

What can I send my future Marine, in the mail, at recruit training?
    Send letters.

Will my future Marine be able to call home from recruit training?
    Possibly. Normally, phone calls are reserved for emergencies, however, recruits can sometimes earn special phone privileges.

How do I notify my future Marine in the event of an emergency?
    Immediately notify your local Red Cross Chapter with pertinent information and they will make arrangements to contact your future Marine.

Does my future Marine have to get a haircut?
    Male recruits will get their heads shaved in recruit training for hygienic purposes, and will be allowed to grow their hair to Marine Corps standards after graduation. Female recruits will not be required to get a haircut as long as their hair can be styled so that it is above the collar while in uniform.

What is a typical day like in recruit training?
    Recruit training is a very demanding and challenging time for recruits. They are expected to respond quickly and give 100% effort at all times. Most recruits adapt to the lifestyle of recruit training in a short time. It is difficult because it is new and the recruits don't really know what to expect. For a better understanding, please refer to Chapter IV (Recruit Training Orientation) of the "Welcome Aboard - The Making of a Marine" handbook. Also, contact the recruiter and arrange to see the videotapes "Take up the Challenge" (males), "Tough Challenge...Big Reward" (females), and/or "Life in the Corps".

What will my future Marine eat during recruit training?
    Your future Marine will be provided three well-balanced, nutritious meals each day.

Can my future Marine attend religious services?
    Yes. Recruits are encouraged to attend religious services.

How much free time will my future Marine get during recruit training?
    Recruits receive approximately one hour of free time each training day and time on Sundays.

Will the Drill Instructors hit my future Marine?
    No. Recruits are treated fairly, firmly and with dignity. Physical abuse is not tolerated. Drill Instructors are selected from the best within the Marine Corps. They are highly qualified to train recruits.

More answered questions

Frequently Asked Questions -

Will my future Maine be brainwashed by the Marines?
    No. The Marine Corps will instill pride, respect, confidence and a great sense of accomplishment that recruits will carry with them the rest of their lives.

What happens if my future Marine fails a portion of recruit training?
    In the event that your future Marine is unable to adequately pass a required event, he or she may be recycled in training to repeat and master that portion. This set back may delay graduation.

What happens if my future Marine is injured during training?
    Should any injury occur, your future Maine will receive appropriate medical attention. The recruiter can help facilitate contact with your child. Depending on the nature and extent of injury, there may be some delay in graduating.

Will my future Marine get paid while at recruit training?
    Yes. Each recruit will enroll in the "Direct Deposit" program shortly after their arrival at recruit training. A debit card will be issued by the credit union or bank to make purchases for health and comfort items. This amount is deducted from their account. After completion of recruit training, Marines can change their direct deposit to any bank or financial institution of their choice.

Can I visit my future Marine at recruit training?
    Yes. There is a Visitor's Day usually the day before graduation.

Can I pick up my "new Marine" at the end of recruit training?
    Yes. Upon completion of the graduation ceremonies, your "new Marine" receives a short period of leave and is free to go home with you.

Can my future Marine attend college while in the Marine Corps?
    Yes. There are many programs available to lend assistance to Marines desiring to further their education. You local recruiter has all the up-to-date information on college programs.

Can my future Marine come home while in the Marine Corps?
    Following completion of recruit training your new Marine will receive a 10-day leave. Marines earn 2 1/2 days leave per month -- 30 days of leave per year.

How will he or she get home?
    Your future Marine will be afforded the opportunity to purchase low cost travel fare through local base travel offices. Many transportation companies offer discounts to members of the Armed Forces. Your future Marine may also travel vial military airlift on space available at little or no cost.

Can my future Marine get married while in the Marines?
    Yes.

Can I visit my future Marine while he/she is in the Marine Corps?
    Yes.

Can future Marines become an officer later if he/she wishes to do so?
    The Marine Corps has several programs to afford Marines the opportunity to become officers. Your recruiter has all the up-to-date information on officer programs.

Should you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

Question for Marine...

I go to take the oath 2008 April 01. I was wondering am I going to get into trouble for getting a haircut prior to going to boot camp? I was told I won't be shipped out until mid-April and I can't stand even the slightest bit of hair on my head so I got a buzz today 2008 03 28. Will I get into trouble with my DI's when arriving at boot camp if my hair hasn't grown back enough for them to cut it? I appreciate your input...

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    You might get messed with.

But unless you shave your head slick...which used to be an eccentric haircut...they will cut your hair....you may have nicks and bumps but the barber will get some!

Speaking of haircuts at LeJeune 3 Marines shaved their head the CO wasn't too happy with them he called it destruction of govt. property they got their azz chewed out and never did that again is that allowed today in the Corps?

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Buzz cuts are allowed for male Marines and no longer considered eccentric. A recruit shows up on the yellow foot prints with a clean shaven head is still gonna sit in the barbers chair. Probably get effed with a little for it too.

Reminds me ... we had an idiot that not only shaved his head but shaved his eyebrows. He got a p.11 for eccentric grooming standards. He then trimmed some hair off a boot brush and using super glue replaced his eyebrows. He got a section 8

Haircut

The first thing I did in boot camp was get my hair cut - it took all of 5 seconds your DI won't care - you'll get a haircut because the Marines want you to get a haircut - By the way you don't need hair to get a haircut in boot camp

Quote Originally Posted by SSterling20
    I go to take the oath 2008 April 01. I was wondering am I going to get into trouble for getting a haircut prior to going to boot camp? I was told I won't be shipped out until mid-April and I can't stand even the slightest bit of hair on my head so I got a buzz today 2008 03 28. Will I get into trouble with my DI's when arriving at boot camp if my hair hasn't grown back enough for them to cut it? I appreciate your input...

A shaved head is an acceptable hair style now for Marines. (Not Recruits fyi.)

Thanks for the input Marines. I really appreciate the information. I needed a haircut and got one but I hope it grows fast enough where they won't have to kill me for it being too short! I'm not too worried about it I'm up for the challenges ahead and cannot wait to be apart of The Few. The Proud. I'm excited to go and take the oath on April 1st. Any other things to expect going in? Besides do whatever they tell whenever they tell you and yell as loud as possible at all times?

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker
    Buzz cuts are allowed for male Marines and no longer considered eccentric. A recruit shows up on the yellow foot prints with a clean shaven head is still gonna sit in the barbers chair. Probably get effed with a little for it too.

Reminds me ... we had an idiot that not only shaved his head but shaved his eyebrows. He got a p.11 for eccentric grooming standards. He then trimmed some hair off a boot brush and using super glue replaced his eyebrows. He got a section 8
    Now that takes the cake,lmfao.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulkyker

I knew a female Sgt who also got a Pg11 for shaving her head. She however, had enough common sense to not superglue bootbrush hair to her head. I agree, your's takes the cake!

It used to be eccentric, unless you were severly balding. Now it is considered fine to shave your head. I give myself my own high and tights, and whenever i mess up i shave my head.

Semper Fi

I've already looked at the forums for hair regulations for females in bootcamp, but I'm still not finding what I need. Are micro braids allowed for black (female) marines in bootcamp?

Nevermind, I'll post this in a more recent forum

Thread Information