Here is one, the NCAA forbids American Indian Mascots!
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Here is one, the NCAA forbids American Indian Mascots!

Perhaps, because, when I see the Notre Dame team take the football field lead by their diminutive Irish Leprechaun mascot, I have a certain amount of pride of my ancestors and the team naming their mascot after the Irish To see the little fellow dressed in his tight fitting jacket and his green hat cocked to one side with his fists up in an offensive stance ready to take on all opponents, it gives me a good feeling about the people that I sprang from. It is a symbol of the Irish, and I feel no shame from it. It is what the Irish were portrayed as, hard little people with a fighting spirit deep inside of them.

Now I see the NCAA has forbidden the teams with American Indian names being forbid to have their mascot make an appearance in different events. It is ashamed to see where a people of such a proud heritage can not think of themselves in the light of winners and winning associations. The Illini and the Seminoles are now not allowed to bring their mascots with them to preseason and postseason games.

In truth, I do not know much of the Illini, but I do know about the Seminole. They are a tribe that fought the US Government to a stand still, and they never signed a treaty with the USA. They were brave and fierce warriors of the Florida Peninsula. But, somehow people seem to think that these brave warriors of renown are ashamed by their name being used by a prestigious University that is usually at the top of their league, and always in the winners bracket. The NCAA now says that these fine warriors can not be recognized as winners any longer!

I know this is not Marine business, but there are many a Native American that served with great honor in the Marines, I would like to get their take on this. What is it about the names of Native American tribes being used as a name of honor that is so disparaging to them? After all, Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

The story:

The NCAA banned the use of American Indian mascots by sports teams during its postseason tournaments, but will not prohibit them otherwise. The NCAA's executive committee decided this week the organization did not have the authority to bar Indian mascots by individual schools, committee chairman Walter Harrison said Friday.

Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive" would not be allowed on team uniforms or other clothing beginning with any NCAA tournament after Feb. 1, said Harrison, the University of Hartford's president.

"What each institution decides to do is really its own business" outside NCAA championship events, Harrison said.

"What we are trying to say is that we find these mascots to be unacceptable for NCAA championship competition," he added.

At least 18 schools have mascots the NCAA deem "hostile or abusive," including Florida State's Seminole and Illinois' Illini. The full list of schools was not immediately released.

Nicknames or mascots deemed "hostile or abusive"
    We are talking about sports! College sports at that! Why would or does anyone take any team name or mascot as "hostile or abusive"? Lets get back to basics, I mean, when is enough, enough???

Originally posted by Devildogg4ever

We are talking about sports! College sports at that! Why would or does anyone take any team name or mascot as "hostile or abusive"? Lets get back to basics, I mean, when is enough, enough???
    Can you really believe this? Apparently this is like you can wear a certain type of shirt Monday through Friday, but you can not wear it Saturday and Sunday! It makes no sense to me!

What is hostile about the Seminoles being depicted as a mascot? The Florida school took the mascot for its representation of it fighting spirit. A brave tribe from Florida that fought the US Government every step of the way through its history! I can only think that they honor the Seminoles for who they are! This is a tribe that has made an excellent transition to modern life in the State of Florida. They have done well in business and prospered, and yet the NCAA thinks this is hostile and abusive!

I went to Junior High School and High School with the Osceolas', and the Tigers', and the Jumpers' of this tribe, and they were all fine people, and they have done well for themselves in adult life. Many of them wore the depiction of the Florida Seminoles in jackets and T-Shirts, and they were justifiably proud that they were the spirit of a winning team.

How very sad, NCAA!

Registered User Free Member KingDonkeyPunch's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    This is almost as bad as when the PETA radicals tried to get every college or university in the US that had an actual live animal mascot, to release it into the wild. They claimed it was animal cruelty, when I would say 99% of the mascot animals lived more well-off than I live. Some people just dont get it.

All I can say is, when we went to war in Vietnam, there was a College deferment, and all the Draft Dodgers went to College and continued on in College to remain out of the military. Fast forward to today, this is the results of the College Deferment to avoid a war! Nothing there but 'Milk Toothed' Draft Dodgers and lattice eaters! They are the ones teaching our children how to be responsible adults. It sucks, but it is true!

Let's look at it this way, a lot of our Marine Brothers are Indians.
    If they don't mind Indian nicknames, why should anyone else?
    If they DO mind Indian nicknames, I'll respect that and back the ban on those type of nicknames.
    However, in my opinion Warriors shouldn't be banned. Hell MARINES are Warriors, too. Just change the logo to a bulldog with a WWI helment or a picture of Chesty.

Kent,

I have tried to draw out the opinion of our brother Marines that are of the tribes, but to date, there appears to be no written response by any member of the tribes that I know of. It can only mean one or two things: 1) They just do not care about the issue, 2) they do not wish to speak on the issue.

I talked to one such member in a Chat room last night who was of the opinion that there was nothing wrong with schools using the names to derive at their fighting spirit, and to imitate the heart of the warrior. In no way was this abusive or hostile to him, but I will let him make these statements for himself.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I think it is up to the individuals. Personally FSU doesn't cross my personal boundary. The ridiculous Cleveland Indians mascot does. That is one native's opinion.

The 'tomahawk chop' gesture of the forearm waving forward is special to Atlanta. In Alabama it also means "1st down, Tennessee!"

Wing,
    I hoped you'd get in this. Thanks.

FBI (Full Blooded Indian)

As a Full blooded Native American (Navajo) and Marine. I could care less about the Masot issues. My favorite team is the Washington Redskins. It's not derogatory to me. Beside if you lived on or near any Native reservation in America, you will find that most High Schools have Indian Masots. There is a lot more issues to deal with in the World to worry about Masots!
    Semper Fidelis Jarhead! Oops! Didn't mean to offend any Marines. Duh!!:o

Thank You Ramstown and Yellowwing, that is the kind of input I was looking for from my fellow Marines.

I keep wondering how the San Diego State Aztecs are going to fair in this situation? I do know there are many a San Diego Marine that attended classes there. What do you think the next mascot of the Aztecs should be? DO you think the 'Border Runners' would be a good mascot to replace the Aztec?

I know they have gotten out of hand on these things. I went to and graduated from the University of Arizona, and our mascot is a Wildcat, well, to be more specific, it is 'Wilbur the Wildcat', and he is dressed in a Cowboy hat and he wore a pair of 'six-shooters' on his hips. Now, in fairness, they had added a 'Wilma the Wildcat' to the mascots to appease the Feminists! But, I was really upset when they took away Wilbur's six-shooters, and yet they still left the Arizona State University Sun Devil with his pitchfork!

The last couple of games against our rivals ASU, we have gone to unarmed, while the ASU mascot continues to pitchfork our mascot on the field. It is depressing! It was unilateral disarmament in a strange comedy of events! It was bellicose undefended for our mascot, Wilbur, but that was OK for them! Wilbur was sacrificed to disarmament!

They have a strange way about them in the NCAA!

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    It was unilateral disarmament...
    That must be the Jimmy Carter approach? "I'll bend over if you promise not to poke me!"

Is Jimmy Carter now on the NCA Boards? It is a possibility! :-)

Check out the following website:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...524EST7344.DTL

Stay Hard Marines!

The idea that choosing an American Indian name for a mascot is derogatory is nonsense. Schools usually pick names that denote courage, bravery, and strength. Who would pick a name to make fun of some group?
    On the other hand, there are the ducks and terrapins and the weird Stanford Cardinal .

Thread Information