Matthew Windham Poolee USMC - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Marine Platinum Member jinelson's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    God Bless you and your family too Ann. I had the pleasure of knowing Matt and interacting with him in achieving his goal in life to become a United States Marine. He was what I refer too as a born Marine, in that I learned as much from him as he did from me of our core values of Honor, Courage and Committment. His drive, desire and motivation were quite remarkable and he will be missed, and a shining example to those young men and women that choose to follow him. Matt was not just a Poolee to me he was a friend and a brother whos only desire was to be recognized as my brother and he truly has earned that recognition.

Semper Fidelis

Jim

Jim

I guess I must have missed an event. I didn't know Matt had already completed Boot. I say this due to all the posts with Our Corps symbols and such.

Semper Fi Marine and Rest In Peace.

A Brother to you Matthew Windham.

rich

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Matt had the heart of a Marine. I have no doubt he earned the title.

I FOR ANOTHER, HAD NO DOUBT ABOUT MATT EARNING THE TITLE. THE DRILLINSTRUCTOR AS POSTED SURE HAD IT CORRECT AS HE MENTIONED, HE EARNED IT WITH THE RESPECT AND MOTOVATION HE HAD IN HIM. R.I.P. MATT, AS WE WILL ALL GET TO-GETHER AGAIN AND PULL OUR SHIFT AT THE PEARLY GATES.

As Matt's mom, I can assure you, HE WAS A MARINE. That was the one thing about Matthew that you could never doubt. Even as the one who had to push him off the couch to put the dishes away, I knew he would suceed at becoming the highest Marine possible during his lifelong career with the corp.

Susan

Registered User Free Member THATFEMALE's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    My little brother as I refered to him, was truly a Marine. Never seen someone quite so moto since I joined. He will be greatly missed but we'll meet again. Don't worry Matt, when I become CMC of the Marine Corp, you'll still be my first choice for Sgt. Major of the Marine Corp. R.I.P. and Semper FI.

Matthew David Windham, A Marine. Matt was born a Marine. Matt died a Marine. Within him was part of every battle won. Part of every sandy beach landed. Part of every rugged mountain climbed. Part of every flag raised to adorn a distant land. He was my hero. He was my hope. He was my Marine. The harps have called. Now he's my "Danny Boy". Rest in peace, I'll be waiting. Semper fi my buddy,semper fi.

written by granddad::
    Gene Windham

Marine Family Free Member 003XXMarineDAD's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    As the father of one young man going thru MCRD San Deigo right now I know how much Matt meant to them, he had matt's cell # on his phone and always called him to give each other grieve about how much the other could be better than the other. I have no doubt that matt would have made it and been a fine Marine. I talked to matt my self after my son left early for boot and was impressed by how he held him self and pushed others to adcheive more and go for the top.
    Semper Fi Matt

Mamm it is my grivences to hear about your loss in more ways than most mother know. I heard a week befor I myself became a Marine I am he to say that I wish to talk to you over the phone at you convinence. I knew Matt pretty well as not only teen to teen but Now above all Marine to Marine. I will always keep him in my heart and will wear my Eagle Globe and Anchor with more weight upon my heart.

Please call me at 970-539-2878

Semper Fi

You will always be in this family, the best and most tightly nit.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    I was away in MN at the time this occured. I had never had the privilage of chatting with Matt. However, according to the Marines, and others on this website I have missed a great opportunity. My condolences to the family and friends of this fine young example for the Marines past and present and the future. The Drill Instructor used Matt as a tool and probably helped to save people's lives by passing on Matt's wisdom.

Semper Fidelis

Semper Fi Matt! Rest In Peace bro, your desire to become a United States Marine was like no other and you would have made a damn fine Marine God Bless you and Rest in Peace!

It's going on 3 months since we lost Matt to our GOD in heaven, as one of his grandmothers, I feel the lost every day. Matt is in a much better place and I know he is keeping an eye on all down here. Our love for Matt grows each day just as it does for our living grandchildren.
    All our love to you Matt.
    Granny & Granddad

to Matt

Well...I am back...I graduated Oct.21st from PI...and I had gotton to know matt from wayyyyyy back...we talked everyday and he was my motivation...when things got rough he was ALWAYS there for me. He always made sure I was good to go for boot camp (we were going to be shipping out on the same day and had made many plans to hang out at mct...where im going now...) He always made sure his angel (the nickname he reffered to me as) was drinking water and Running all the time. I remember telling him "I don't know how im going to make it through boot camp without ya there motivating me all the time!" and he said "you say I motivate you, but YOU motivate me"...I had to make a very difficult choice in my life...I was devastated by what had happened just 2 days before I was supposed to ship to boot camp...I had to decide If I was still going to go through with it right then or not...I mean I was COMPLETELY unstable emotionally and in the end it kinda screwed me up at the begining of boot camp (which carried through the rest of boot...) but I stuck it out...everytime things got rough I thought back to one night when I was talking to matt and I was scared about getting dropped or failing something when he told me over and over in a beautiful speech about how I'd make it and that I'd be seeing him at MCT with all our plans in effect....I swear the one thing that kept me sane at boot was Talking to God and Matt. I knew he was there with me (I kept a pic he sent me closeby) and I had it with me on graduation day safe in my pocket. In a sense I guess you could say we still graduated together...

If anyone takes anything from my post it should be this: Matt once told me of a time he came across hearing a car splash into a lake/swamp. He had tried to save the people inside (I think it was a woman and kid) but only got waist high before being forced to stop after the swamp prevented him from going foward...I always thought to myself how much I thought of him as a hero even though he couldn't save them (some wouldnt even bother to look over) and I could never relate to him on that level of feeling like you were cheated something you wish you could have done. Well now I know...and I felt VERY cheated when he left without a goodbye...it was the first time where I felt someone really ripped out the rug from underneath. I wish I could have told him how wonderful of a person he was for a last time but I didnt get to. Point being, hug all your loved ones and show how much you care about those you love. You never know when the rug might get pulled out from underneath you...

"do not mourn my death, honor it" -Matt Windham always said that. Ironic...

Forever your "angel" Matt,
    Julia

Congrates On Becoming A" U.s. Marine" Thanks For The Helping Us Along With Our Thoughts On "matt" He Is Watching The Gates For Us. Amen

Matt Was There for you.

Julia,

I am sorry Matt did not get to say goodbye also. But he was there with you in Boot Camp. He was the one who graduated highest. He will be watching over you forever now so when you need him, look up.

I was with Matt when we heard the car splash into the water and no matter what we did, there was no way to help. The firemen said had we tried to go to where the car was, we would have died. It ended up being 30 feet down in a retention pond full of underwater weeds. He was a good person and had a good heart.

Be strong, be proud and Make Matt proud to have been a U.S. Marine.

Susan Windham
    Matt's Mom

Thread Information