Any recruiters out there?
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member Gunny McMillan's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Any recruiters out there?

Hey devil dogs, I was just wondering if any of you had done recruiting duty in your career? I ask because a young neighbor of mine came to me the other day with a question. A few years ago (before I knew him) he enlisted in the DEP just before starting his senior year in high school. After about 6 months, he decided he didn't want to do it and got out of his contract (Which I didn't even know was possible.)

Anyway, that was about 3 years ago he said, and now he's thinking that he might want to enlist again. He asked me if he would still be able to do that after what happened the first time around....And I had no idea what to tell him other than to go talk to the recruiter. But I said I would ask around and try to find out, but so far no one I've talked to can give me an answer. Can anyone shed some light on this one for me?

Semper Fi

Tom

Registered User Free Member THATFEMALE's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Hello Gunny. I do the whole Recruiter's Assistance thing all the time and I've seen this situation occur alot. Each time the answer has been no. Once you decided to drop out that's it. You don't get another chance is how they recruiters I've known have played it. If he really wants to pursue this ,the best advice would be like you advised him. Recruiters can work magic and if they can do it then they will. Especially with the way recruiting is going now. He'll really have to prove to them that's he serious this time. Good luck on that situation Gunny.

Gunny McMillan,
    If he just changed his mind and elected not to go the first time around, then as long as he is otherwise eligible to enlist, the past will not play a factor in his qualifications. I don't know the particular situation so I will just say as long as he is otherwise qualified. A DEP discharge is not the same as being discharged out of the Marine Corps.
    Catch me offline if you need further explanations or if you have more details you can discuss. With a clearer picture come more detailed answers.
    I am a retired 8412 (Career Recruiter)

GunnyL

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for your responses GunnyL and THATFEMALE.

I'm not sure exactly what reason he gave to get discharged from the DEP, I'll have to ask him. But as far as I know, he was otherwise qualified and just changed his mind about it. He really just needs to go down to the recruiter himself and find out, but I think he's a little embarrassed and hesitant because of what happened the first time. He won't come right out and say it, but it's not hard to pick up on. I actually wouldn't mind going down there with him if need be, I can understand how he might be a little intimidated by the whole thing. Again, thanks for your help.

Semper Fi

Tom

Registered User Free Member iowasurfer2's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Now I was only an 8411, but I came across that in my RSS on 2 different occasions. It absolutely does not disqualify them to voluntarily drop from DEP. Our solution was to re-sign them and direct ship. We had them tell mom and dad good-bye, then put them on deck to process. But they didn't ever come back. We kept them in the Hotel at MEPS (3 hours away) for 2-3 days until they cleared the UA, then they were on a plane. No chance to flake.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Gunny McMillan,

RSS Buffalo 80-83 (8411). There isn't alot of information to go on. Was it a legal,moral, or medical reson for his changing his mind? I agree with THATFEMALE. A recruiter would be wasting their time. I would put the burden on little Johnny at this point. Let him burn the tire treads to get back in. Gy McMillan. If you are near a DSN phone you could probably call a good friend of mine at plans & policies at Quantico. Styka MGySgt (RET), look him up in the GAL in outlook. I personally think he is a flake and would washout any way because he is a quitter. You know yourself what it takes to be a Marine.

Semper Fidelis

Credits
    Savings
    I talked to him last night, and he said the DEP discharge letter he got said "Refusal to enlist" I talked to his father as well, and I can sort of understand why it happened. He, like most little brothers, idolized his older brother and had just watched him graduate boot camp. He pretty much thought it was the greatest thing since sliced bread (which I would have to agree with, but I also realize that it's a big committment and it's not for everybody.) He talked to the recruiter and was kind of pressured into making a decision quick, and being only 17 at the time, he was pretty impressionable.

His dad said he noticed within the first 2 months afterward that his heart just wasn't into it, but it took him a little while to admit that. In other words, it was a lot more than just getting cold feet before boot. And according to his dad, (But we all know how parents oftentimes think more highly of their kids than is reasonable), he's got a great work ethic, is a good athlete and a bright kid (He's been at Penn State main campus for two years, so he's gotta be a pretty smart kid) I think that he might make a fine Marine if he goes through with it. But then again as we all know, sometimes even the best recruits sometimes fold under the pressure of boot. I wish I had been in the neighborhod at the time, I never would have let this happen in the first place, I would have motivated him to walk off a cliff if I asked him to!

Again, thank you everyone for the feedback, I'll let you know what happens. Hopefully, this all works out for the best.

Semper Fi

Tom

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I think that he might make a fine Marine if he goes through with it.
    That's the challenge, Gunny. I don't envy your position. Keeping him motivated until he ships will be the easy part.

Bringing out that 'right stuff' to complete training will take some serious mentoring. But if anyone is qualified, it is a Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant! oo-rah

Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by yellowwing

That's the challenge, Gunny. I don't envy your position. Keeping him motivated until he ships will be the easy part.

Bringing out that 'right stuff' to complete training will take some serious mentoring. But if anyone is qualified, it is a Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant! oo-rah
    I'd put on the Smokey Bear again and do it myself if I could!

Like I said, he's a good kid and I'd like to see him succeed if/when he ships.

Thread Information