Marines transitioning to other services...? - Page 2
Create Post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rotc4not
    In certain cases, it is conceivable for someone to want to switch from one branch of service to another. I have been researching different MOS's, both Marine Corps and Army. I already know I'm going into the Corps for my first enlistment but because of my height (5' 0"), I can not be an MP in the Corps. The Marines have a minimum height requirement where as the Army and Air Force do not. Military Police was my first choice MOS but I will have to "tough it out" (in a good way) with a far more superior and hard core service until I am able to transfer over to Army for Military Police. Reason being is that I'm looking for a career in law enforcement and Military Police is the way I would like to gain my first experience as a law enforcer. Oohrah!
    Yep, you can switch. I went from the Marines into the Air National Guard. But, I happened to be in a unit that was much like the Marines in esprit d'corps. We worked hard, took our business seriously, and played hard. We were very unlike most Air Force security police units. Some places had a hard time adjusting to us.

Not every Marine who switches is happy. I retired after Desert Storm because I did not want to serve in a combat zone again with active duty AF people.

Now, rotc4not, you seem like a nice person. However, I will give you some advice based on 25-years of law enforcement experience in the military and civilian world, including much time as a firearms and defensive tactics instructor. You will not like it.

You are too small to be an effective police officer. You will be a target and will force your partners to worry more about you than they should have to when the sh*t hits the fan. Or they will worry about themselves too much out of concern you won't be able to help them.

I have served with and worked with many female officers. I highly respect and would work with several of them at any time. But, they are larger females and stronger. The smallest, effective, female officer I worked with was 5' 5" and weighed 140-lbs of solid muscle (although no one ever believed she weighed that much on her frame until she stood on a scale). She was tough physically, lifted weights for strength, and had a tough mental attitude to boot. The other gals were bigger.

I have seen female officers, your size, with good attitudes and a can-do spirit starting out, but they lost all of that after about the third serious ass-beating they took and male partners had to bail them out. They just didn't pack enough strength and weight to allow their training to be effective.

They either quit, injured too severely to continue working, or if they were lucky enough to be on a bigger PD, got transfers to inside jobs. Getting those inside jobs p*ssed off the older male officers looking for a soft job for a couple of years before retirement because they hogged the slots. Not conducive to a happy work place.

MPs, in the field, end up carrying near as much as a grunt. Can you carry 35-50lbs (or more) all day, plus run, fight, and shoot with all of that crap on? Many men cannot.

Perhaps a job in criminalistics, crime lab scientist, or some other similar positions would suit you perfectly as size doesn't matter near as much. But police departments start you on the street and a lot of sheriff's departments start you in the jail. Tiny people are targets in those environments.

You can call me sexist all you want perhaps, but the truth is the truth.

Cool thanks

Zulu...
    Dude,

Thanks for setting me straight...learn something new everyday...

I really appreciate it...

Credits
    Savings
    I had a Army recruiter at the School I work at in Asbury Park talking to the kids. Said he couldn't find one kid to qualify for the Army.We got talking and when I told him I was a former Marine, he started promising me a MP slot, a rank promotion and other stuff.

I have a friend who spent 4 years USMC 0311. He went to the Army for the SF (Pre MARSOC Corps). He is now in Delta and loves it. Changing branches is all about what you want out of the military. The Corps is by far the best foundation. Keep in mind, the regular recruiters can't legally promise you anything while you are on active duty in another branch. So that means you would have to EAS, wait your 90 days, then discuss the contract, which you may not like. Then it would be a pain coming back into the Marines, because you just wasted perks, like bonuses, and duty station pick.

Thread Information