Defective Armored Vest?
Create Post

Defective Armored Vest?

I saw a story on CNN this morning about the Marines denying that they recalled the new armored vests for defects? Anyone know what this is about? Which flaks are supposed to be defective supposedly? I only caught the end of the story.

Red face

SORRY! DIDNOT SEE IT. BUT I HOPE ITS NOT TRUE. WITH CCN NEWS THEY COULD BE MAKING THINGS UP ,JUST LIKE DAN RATHER AND CBS NEWS!!!

I have tested old/defective vests in the past and they still stopped pistol rounds. The defect has to be in the manufacturing of the Kevlar layers, maybe not enough or defective fabric? I say get them exchanged asap!

Originally posted by sgt.r.n.davis
    SORRY! DIDNOT SEE IT. BUT I HOPE ITS NOT TRUE. WITH CCN NEWS THEY COULD BE MAKING THINGS UP ,JUST LIKE DAN RATHER AND CBS NEWS!!!
    I am embarassed that Rather is a former Marine.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Grunt0331

This is the deal, 3 yrs ago I purchased a new vest thru ABA and was told that it would be longer then usual for delivery since they were making vests for the military and that had priority and I understood that. The new vest were made with a new fabric called Zylon, its light weight and flexiable. All 3 of the major protective vest comapanies used this new Zylon fabric in their vests. It was then found that after being exposed to body heat over a short period of time that the Zylon fabric lost its effectivness to stop a round, alot quicker then non-zylon vests. We took ABA, Second Chance and Point Blank to court, ABA and Point Blank confessed they knowingly used a product that would degrade quickly and replaced all vests with new non-zylon vests. Second Chance continued to deny any wrong doing and has since filed bankruptcy to avoid having to replace the defective vests that it sold. And yes, these were the same vests that were bought by the military. Hope that helps clear things up for ya alittle bit.
    SF

Talking

Just for the record, a#%hole rather wasn't a Marine very long. They booted his a#% out because he couldn't hack it as a man and a Marine.

Maybe he'll choke to death on a chicken bone!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,
    OLE SARG

Originally posted by OLE SARG
    Just for the record, a#%hole rather wasn't a Marine very long. They booted his a#% out because he couldn't hack it as a man and a Marine.

Maybe he'll choke to death on a chicken bone!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,
    OLE SARG
    Did he punk out in boot? Slimy twinkle-toed C#@ksucker!

Squad Leader Free Member Wyoming's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by lucien2

I am embarassed that Rather is a former Marine.
    Current Marine

Former Marine

Ex-Marine

Rather is the latter. He washed out.

On another post, it was asked what the proper terminiology for a Marine should be.

I believe I just answered.

Illegitimi Non Carborundum!!

Wow, why the heck is everyone so down on Dan Rather? What's his deal, why do ya'll not like him and say all that stuff? I never heard anything about him except that he was a former Marine, and I thought he was a pretty good news anchor. Fill me in please.

I can tell you this for a fact. The research director at Second Chance sent a memo to the President of Second Chance in Dec of 2001 about the ineffectiveness of the Zylon vest. There where police officers who died in the line of duty because of this defect. The lawsuit has not been settled as of this date. Second Chance didn't make this public right away either. Its a shame that people died because they didn't have the decency to do the right thing.

Angry

USMCgrunt0331,
    READ POSTS PRIOR TO YOURS AND YOU'LL SEE WHY rather is a gutless excuse for a human being and a "newsperson". He likes to make up "news" as he "went".
    rather wasn't in bootcamp long enough to qualify as even an ex-marine.
    NUFF SAID!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SEMPER FI,
    OLE SARG

Real men dont need no stinkin vests look at us Nam Vets we didnt have no stinkin vests cause we where some bad MoFos and still are...
    He he he....

Originally posted by hrscowboy
    Real men dont need no stinkin vests look at us Nam Vets we didnt have no stinkin vests cause we where some bad MoFos and still are...
    He he he....
    HRS Cowboy,

Maybe, we weren't in the same Corps in Vietnam. I was there from the beginning, and the flack jackets we had may not have had any flack shields in them, but we were all required to wear them. Hell, they couldn't stop anything the VC were shooting at us, but it made good PR that we wore them.

Anyway, they were good for carrying our two canteens, our Battle Dressing Pack, and maybe, our Bayonet. Other wise they were useless and a bother.

Kilo Company 3rd Battalion, 7th Marines, 0311

Thread Information