Poolee in trouble, need advice
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Marine Free Member jellyfish2183's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Poolee in trouble, need advice

I've always wanted to become a Marine, ever since I saw a TV recruiting commercial featuring a Marine in his dress blues holding a sword when I was little. The fact that every single Marine I have ever met are as sharp--appearance, attitude, EVERYTHING--as I-don't-know-what!

I've been working in a job that I hate for three years (since 12th grade). Want to quit REALLY badly, but couldn't since I need the money to live. One day, when my co-workers and I were talking about that fact that the a-hole managers saying that we little "peons" need more discipline in doing our work. I joked with my co-workers and said, "They want us to be 'disciplined' huh? Well, if I wanted discipline, I'd join the military instead of staying in this hell hole!" Then the idea clicked. I'm single, struggling to survive, have no family or friends (except for my dog--but more on him later). This is the perfect opportunity to join the Marine Corps. It's always been my dream. I figured that I'll finish the spring semester in college in be shipped off to boot camp in late spring/early summer. I had this thought process back in November 2004.

I went to http://usmilitary.about.com and did some research. I immediately finished my high school course load (I was home-school'ed during my senior year of high school and had one course to finish before meeting the graduating requirements) by December 2004.

January 2005 was when the trouble starts. My motor-scooter broke down, and I was not able to go to any of my classes--which caused me to be administratively withdrawn from all my classes. I missed a lot of work too, which was basically loss of income. I got tricked by the motorcycle repair shop--he did not give me an estimate on the cost of the repair and when the repair was done (was in their shop from January 15 - March 07), he said I owe him $880 for the repair (that's more than half of the value of the scooter itself). I was able to get my scooter back (on the condition that he keep the title, and I repay him at least $100/month--I'm at $415 now). Furthermore, I still owe another $800 the loan I got to purchase the scooter. So basically I'm $1300 in total debt so far.

A little bit on my current living conditions. I pay $300/month and live with two atheist, liberal-minded, pro-gay, anti-war college graduates (both 23, which is older than myself) who smoke weed and hold parties in this small three bedroom house. Been living here since June 2004 and was okay until January 2005 when all the parties started. I could not stand it! I definately feel that it's there way of making me move out, as they know I'm the pious, conservative, pro-family, Support-Our-Troop type.

Then tonight was the fateful night. I came home from work and one of my roommate told me bluntly that even though he knows that our current lease end in June 2005, he would appreciate it if I leave sooner than that, as he has friends who he plans on moving in ASAP to take my place. His most piercing words were, "I'm basically asking you to leave." I want to leave this place just as much as he wants to kick me out. But I'm still worried. What if for some reason I don't make it into the Corps? What if they find something wrong with me at MEP?!!

Honestly I haven't even contacted my recruiter yet. I was trying to wait until I got all my documents ready. I've only recently paid off my home-school tuition and they are sending my diploma (I'm also concerned whether home-school graduates are allowed to enlist). I was not born in the U.S., don't have my birth certificate, and lost my only other proof of citizenship--the passport (which a replacement is currently being processed). And furthermore, let's say everything does go smoothly, what about Muus (my dog). What's gonna happen to this 110 lbs. lab?!

Sorry for making you all read all this. It looks like I'm gonna have to contact my recruiter VERY soon. Please, any suggestions would be appreciate it!!

Semper Fi

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    I feel for you young man. But you really have to have the guts and determination. The details are minor in the big picture.

The character inside you will determine your fate. You've stuck it out with a crappy job, that shows promise.

Yes talk to a recruiter ASAP!

One personal story kind of relating to your experience: When I graduated from Junior High football to the Senior HS 'big boys' in 12th grade...us scrawny 15 year olds were just basically raw meat used to condition the A team.

If a big guy got tired or was just feeling mean that day he would pick one of us out for the hitting drills. Usually us 130 lbs youngsters picked each other for hitting drills.

A week after being just a punching bag I said, "F*ck this! I'm going to knock the crap out of one of those biguns"

So for one hitting drill, I picked one senior who for some reason just did not like me. I picked him three times in a row. The third time I knocked him on his ass! To add insult to injury I yelled, "GET UP!"

I didn't dare take my eyes of off him but I did hear our coach chuckling out, "Yeah, get some of those Big Dogs!"

Reach down deep into your character and take charge to solve your problems.

Don't forget to make a Recruiter appointment or just walk in. Its a start and a very important first step.

I'd say if you look at all the obstacles at once.........it makes for a huge mountain you'll have to climb. But if taken individually I know you can do it. If you want it bad enough.

I can't honestly answer your question about if your home schooling deploma is allowed. But a recruiter would know.

As far as the two loosers your living with right now.......... It sounds like it would be at least 2 steps up on the ladder if you were in boot camp living in a squad-bay with 65-70 other guys....Who want to make something out of their lives. Instead of a couple p*ss-ants that don't want anything out of life except to get stoned.

If you want it.................THE UNIFORM...........THE TITLE... THE LIFE LONG BROTHERHOOD........AND EVERYTHING ELSE THAT GOES ALONG WITH IT..........................IT'S HERE IM SURE THE CORPS HAS A UNIFORM JUST YOUR SIZE.............WAITING ON YOU.

ALL YOU'LL HAVE TO DO IS.............EARN IT...!!!!
    NO BIG THING.............LOLOLOL

Semper-Fi

God bless the Corps

Jellyfish,
    You do need to see a recruiter!

Just be sure that it is the Peace Corps recruiter. They are always looking for individuals such as you have described yourself.

With any luck, you may be sent to a country where having a high school diploma, passport, steady job, or a birth certificate really doesn't matter.

The Marine Corps requires that you be able to engage in life and death situations and still take care of yourself and your fellow Marines at all times. You are in your 20's and can't even keep your "scooter" fixed.

Stand at your mirror and practice saying " Would you like to super-size that order?"

Phantom Blooper
    Guest Free Member
    "Do you want fries with that?" Get a grip jellyfish2183! Don't live up to your screen name. **** poor excuse "My scooter is broke" get used to walking or humpin if you are Marine Corps material.

"I pay $300/month and live with two atheist, liberal-minded, pro-gay, anti-war college graduates (both 23, which is older than myself) who smoke weed and hold parties in this small three bedroom house. Been living here since June 2004 and was okay until January 2005 when all the parties started."

Once a party always a party,evidently your condoned this behavior when you moved in. These roomies didn't just overnight start smokin' dope. Us older Marines weren't born at revilee.We have children and grandchildren that are your age or older.

Dump your roommates and go live in the "Y" until you save your bucks up. Or suck it up! Sounds like the only friend you have now is your dog. Which you can't keep in the barracks, and can't get on the bus to MCRD with you if you go.

You do have these things to overcome,if you want the title "Marine" bad enough. So suck up this expierence and do the right thing! Life along with the Marine Corps does not owe you anything!

Semper-Fi! Chuck Hall

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    "I pay $300/month and live with two atheist, liberal-minded, pro-gay, anti-war college graduates (both 23, which is older than myself) who smoke weed and hold parties in this small three bedroom house.
    Hmm... Not that I'm not saying that you're in a tight spot, poolee... but your roommates don't have anything to do with it. And while I don't smoke weed...

Am I an athiest? Yes. Does it have any bearing on me as a Marine? Nope.

Could you classify me as a "liberal," in certain areas? Yes. Does it have any bearing on me as a Marine? Nope.

Am I "pro-gay?" I don't really know what you mean by that, but if you mean "believes that someone's sexuality isn't an issue for congress or any other branch of the government to regulate," then I suppose you could put me in that category. Personally, I'm straight, but I really don't care if you like boys or girls... it's a non-issue. Does it have any bearing on me as a Marine? Nope.

Am I anti-war? I would think that there's no one MORE opposed to war than the people who have to fight it. I'll gladly do my duty as a Marine, in fact, I plan on making a career out of it, but I don't think there's a Marine here who WANTS to go to war just for the sake of war.... there'd better be a necessity. Now, that being said, I understand what you're getting at, and I don't share the same views as your roommates, but be precise in your language... it can make all the difference in the world.

****, I wish I was a college graduate... that'd make life a little easier... but as it is, I'm on my way to becoming one.

Do I like to throw parties? Sure! Who doesn't like having a good time?

Think before you speak, my friend... it will serve you well down the line.

LivinSoFree, he wasn't attacking you, he was attacking his roomates. To me they sound like dirt bags.

Jellyfish, go to your nearest consulate or embassy, they can help you out with your documents that you'll need. And talk to a recruiter, he could be helpful. Also, sounds like you may need to grow a pair of balls in the interim.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Oh, don't get me wrong. I certainly didn't take it as an attack. My only point was that if his roommates are dirtbags, then just say so, that'll get the point across a lot better. Hemingway: "Get to the point, and where you can, cut." The rest is irrelevant. I agree, go see a recruiter, get your sh*t straight, and keep your eye on the goal.

Credits
    Savings
    Well, I just called and spoke to the recruiter for the first time. I'm supposed to meet with him tomorrow at 9:00 in the morning. Now I just need to take a ride and make sure I can find the place (I get lost easily).

As for the documents go, it's already in the process. My diploma was supposed to arrive two days ago, but I checked my P. O. Box it didn't find anything yet. And with my passport, it's going to take up to 6 weeks to get my replacement. I did brought those concerns up with him when I was talking to him on the phone, and I didn't get the impression that it was a bar for enlistment (especially with the home-school thing). I also brought up my concern about the fact that I'm under-weight (was able to pass all my physical fitness tests in high school, though). To tell the truth, I'm kind of nervous of meeting the recruiter (yeah I'm already nervous now, just wait 'til it's time for me to ship out, lol). I already made a few mistakes when speaking with him. I should've addressed him as "sir" and such, but I managed to pull one out at the very last moment.

I might try contacting https://www.netpets.org/netp/foster.php regarding my dog. Hopefully, it'll work out.

Oh yeah, as for my roommates, I just don't think that we have the same values. That's why we don't get along... at least not anymore.

Thanks for the advices!

Underweight? What is your Height & weight?

Jellyfish don't call your recuriter sir unless he ask you a question and you answer yes or no sir. If he wants you to address him as sir you do so but most of them don't like it. You address him with his Rank and last name.

Other than that your good to go. I am going to through a party in your name for you actually doing something with your life unlike alot of people our age today.

Credits
    Savings
    Thanks for the encouragement, MelloYello!

As far as my physical stats go, I am 5 ft. 5 in. (= 65 inches total) and weigh at a meager 115 lbs. I took a look at the Marine Corps Weight Standard Chart for Male, it says that for a 65 inches tall guy like myself, the maximum standard body weight is 165 lbs. and the minimum is a close 114 lbs. I hope I'll be able to make it...

I rode to the shopping center where the recruiting station is located. Got lost within the plaza for a moment, but stumbled upon a shopping center map, which directed me to the recruiting station. I didn't go in, of course... Just need to be sure I know where the place is located. It actually an Armed Forces Recruiting Station, with a whole bunch of Army and Navy pamphlets at the window.

I'm scheduled to come in at 0900. If I show up at 9:00 A.M., I know it pretty much means I'm late. So I'm shooting to be there by 0830.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Ha, 15 minutes prior to 15 minutes prior. thats one thing u will notice in the Marine Corps. (But lately its been 45 minutes prior with my unit) LOL

JELLY. I WAS 5FT 8IN. AND ONLY 120 LBS. WHEN I GOT IN, JUST MADE IT, 3 MONTHS LATER, BELIEVE IT OR NOT, I WAS 155 AT FINAL PT. YEP, 35 LBS OF SOLID JARHEAD WAS ADDED. THOSE WERE THE DAYS. MY FRIENDS DID NOT KNOW ME WHEN I CAME HOME AFTER BOOT. THEY TOOK SECOND LOOKS THEN ASKED IF IT WAS ME. LMAO TO THIS DAY. GO FOR THE EGA, BEST DEAL IN TOWN. GOOD LUCK. OH, I WAS NOT A CITIZEN EITHER BUT THEY HELP YOU GET THINGS DONE, MAYBE LONGER NOW AS TO THE SECURITY AND ALL. OH, YES, WHILE IN, THEY MADE ME A CITIZEN, ALSO GOT TOP SECRET CLEARANCE, SO THINGS DO HAPPEN.

Credits
    Savings
    I just got back from meeting the recruiter. I was late, though I was scheduled for 9:00 AM, but I got there at 0845. I say I was late because I was shooting to be there at 0830 originally to try & impress them. Ah well, could've been worse!

Anyway, I guess the meeting went pretty well. Answered a couple of questions, took the sample ASVAB (got a 55 on it). Then he proceeded to tell me all the stuff about the Corps that I already know. I didn't get to tell him about the troubles in life I'm having right now, such as the $1300 debt (hopefully, that figure will become $1000 by next Friday when I get my paycheck), me being force out of my residence by my roommates, the fact that I'm truly all alone (without any family or friends to rely on--well actually I do have a relative, but I really don't want to rely on them or to find out what I'm doing and trying to enlist at this time), and my concern as to who's going to take care of my dog while I'm away. He didn't ask, so I didn't tell... yet.

Anyway, he asked me to come in this Saturday again to do something, I think it was PFT or something, not sure. Guess that'll be a plan! I guess it's good to know that I'm getting started...

Thread Information