Boot Camp, or boot
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered User Free Member Pel's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Question Boot Camp, or boot

What should a Poolee call Recruit Training.

To me it has allways, allways been eather Recruit Training, Or Boot Camp.

Anyone I see call it boot has been yelled at and thrashed.

This is a post from enviro, on another thread

"Let me try and settle this for you.

"Recruit Training" is the official title of your training evolution that leads to the title Marine. You will be assigned to the Recruit Training Regiment as your first unit.

"Boot Camp" is the unofficial title of Recruit Training. During the Spanish-American War, sailors and Marines wore leggings called boots, which came to mean a Navy or Marine recruit. These recruits trained in 'boot' camps. "Boot Camp" has now been assigned to anything that remotely challenges an individual in a short amount of time. "Teen Boot Camp" "CCNA Boot Camp" "Oprah's Boot Camp" etc.... Apparently, the Marine Corps have given a hard meaning to the word "boot camp".

"Boot" is often referred to as a new Marine reporting to the fleet. Sometimes, it is used by senior Marines to chide junior Marines. An old Gunny of mine used to call his wife a "boot" because she was promoted to Gunny two months after him - thus making her a "boot" to him.

"Boot" is also used to address a Marine when he professess to have some amount of experience that he has not attained yet. For example, when the new digital cammies came out, a LCPL wrote the Marine Corps Times and said the Commandant was ruining tradition. My immediate reply was "Shut the **** up 'boot' - read your history and you'll know that this isn't the first (or the last) time our combat uniform has been changed."

"Boot" is also a title of a book about Marine Corps Recruit Training - written by a former Marine. (not an ex-Marine). It's a good read.

Finally, "boot" is a shortened version of the word "Boot Camp". This word started with sailors referring to their own recruit training. Marine Recruits and Poolees have picked it up and is widely used now days. Now, if I say "boot" and someone wants to give me an ass-chewing over it, I'll tell him to stick it up their ass. I earned the title, I'll call it what I want. Most of the time however, I respectfully refer to it as "Boot Camp" or "Recruit Training"."

What is your opinion?

Pel

I'm sorry i brought this topic up....

Credits
    Savings
    The_4th_Stooge Im glad you did. The seaking of knowledge is nothing to be sorry for.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Just An Observation Poolees

Pel I read this discusion in another post and it atually caused me to wander back throuh my memory. I have always refered to Recruit Training as boot camp and I think every Marine has and does. But I also remember what a poor Pvt said, when was asked by our Drill Instructor about what his motivation was to keep breathing his Marine Corps air. He said the Pvt just wants to get through boot camp and be a Marine sir. At that the drill instructor summarily ordered him on his face and told him to give him push ups until the drill instructor got tired. The drill instructor then turned his attention to the rest of platoon and said if this was boot camp it would say that on the welcome sign instead of Marine Recruit Training Depot San Diego. So I never made that mistake while in recruit training.

Now let me say, this is the most motivated group of Poolees that I have seen come through here in some time. You are a credit to yourselves and will someday be a credit to my Marine Corps.

Good Luck To You All
    Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Thank you for your post Staff Sergeant.

Pel

Note:

The Marine Corps is the only branch with an actual "Boot Camp". The other branches have "Basic Training". Good on you to seek the knowledge though. And that is one of the "14 Leadership Traits".

It's always been Boot Camp to me but i didn't refer to it by that name while in MCRD.

Credits
    Savings
    Would any of you ever call it boot as a Poolee?

Would you ever call it boot at Boot Camp?

Pel

It's all about nomenclature Pel.....you can call it anything you want to another Poolee. Drill Instructors want you to use official Marine Corps terms for everything....ie your rifle is not your gun..your cover is not your hat...your 782 gear is not a back pack..so forth and so on! Make sense?

Thanks I'll definitely make sure the words "boot camp" do not come out of my mouth in that context at -->RECRUIT TRAINING<--

Thanks for the heads up... I always call it boot =)

Also don't forget the nautical terms.

Bathroom=Head

Bunk=Rack

Windows=Portholes

Walls= Bulkheads

Floor=Deck

And so forth

Credits
    Savings
    Still looking for more opinions.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Call it what you will...unofficially.

I can't believe that I did this way back in 2002. Hope it turns out okay.

Last edited by Osotogary; 03-07-06 at 10:45 PM.

Credits
    Savings
    Awsome

Here ya go i have something for ALL of you look at this BOOK on AMAZON and ... read the title...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0312900600/ref=pd_luc_21_lc_a9x0_r2c3_a3_i/104-0042631-2973547?v=glance&s=books

Thread Information