Drill Instructor School
Create Post
    Credits
    Savings
    Images

Drill Instructor School

This is a preliminary... it's out of range for the moment, I'm gonna have to pick up a couple stripes first, but...

The more I think about it, the more the idea of taking a swing at being a Drill Instructor gets into my head.

Drill Instructors, I'd appreciate any insight you could provide as to DI School and maybe the finer points of DI duty. It seems like we talk a lot on this site about Boot Camp from the "recieving end," but not much from the other side. My interest is building... and it won't take forever before I pick up a couple more stripes and go active. Never too early to prepare.

It's been a few years since I was a Drill Instructor(58-60) but it still has to have been the most rewarding in my career. I was thinking the same thing as you are right now and it had to do with whether I wanted to make a career out of the Marine Corps. I reenlisted and wanted to do something that would get me promoted quickest and something that had some prestige to it. I found out in a hurry as soon as I donned the Smokey Bear Hat for the first time. They had just been approved for wear by DI's the previous year.
    I was one proud Sgt E-4. I went on to make Sgt a second time only this time it was as an E-5. A new rank structure took effect 1 Jan'59 adding 2 paygrades to the existing 7. The new ranks included L/Cpl and MGySgt making a total of 9. Therefore it is what we have today, E-1 through E-9.
    As for being a DI and helping promotion wise, I made GySgt in 13 years, 1stSgt in 15 years and was selected for SgtMajor at 19 years but declined it to retire. The Marine Corps was going through some very rough times in the early 70's and it just didn't live up to my expectations anymore. I'm happy to say it made a complete turn around in the 80's and is one fine outfit once again. I have a Grandson that is a Machine Gun Team Leader with Lima 3-3 in Afghanistan until June. He loves it and very likely will make it a career.
    I may have rambled a bit but maybe you can make a little more of a rational decision now. When you graduate from DI School and then graduate your first Platoon of Recruits, you'll know you made the right decision. It's tough duty but you'll reap the rewards if you want it bad enough.
    Semper Fi,
    Jerry Mell
    1stSgt(Ret)USMC
    '54-'73
    DI San Diego '58-'60

Registered User Free Member enviro's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The potential drill instructor must possess a high degree of maturity, leadership, judgment and professionalism. Furthermore, he or she must thoroughly embrace core values of the Marine.

Marines selected for Drill Instructor Duty are issued orders to either Marine Corps Recruit Depot, Parris Island, SC or San Diego, CA for duty under instruction at Drill Instructor School for a period of about 11 weeks. Upon completing the course, the Marine is then assigned to the depot as a drill instructor (AMOS 8511).

Eligibility

Grade. Sergeant through Gunnery Sergeant. Gunnery Sergeants will have completed a successful tour as a drill instructor or will be volunteers.

Age. Must be between 22 and 37 years old when reporting to DI school. (Can be waived)

Integrity/Judgment. Marine demonstrates sound integrity and judgment.

Core Values. Marine thoroughly embraces and exemplifies core values of the Marine Corps and leads by example in this area.

High School Grad/GED. Drill instructors should have an educational background equal to that of the majority of recruits who they will be instructing. Marines with a reading level below the 10th grade may experience some difficulty assimilating Drill Instructor School course material.

GT score must be 90 or above. (GT score can be waived.)

Disciplinary record and drug or alcohol related incident(s).

Courts-Martial: No courts-martial. A court-martial conviction may be waived by CMC MMEA-85 if 5 or more years have elapsed since the offense.

NJP: Not more than two NJPs in the last 5 years preceding the class reporting date. No NJPs in the last 24 months preceding the class reporting date.

PAGE 11 ENTRIES: No adverse page 11 entries (i.e., MARCORSEPMAN para 6105 counseling) in the last 2 years preceding the reporting date.

Drug and alcohol: No drug related incidents. No alcohol related incidents within the last 3 years preceding the class reporting date. A waiver granted for reenlistment is not valid for assignment to drill instructor duty. A separate waiver must be requested from CMC MMEA-85.

Presence of mind. Marines being considered for drill instructor duty should possess a calm demeanor during stressful situations. A Marine who has exhibited an explosive personality or is known to "fly off the handle" is not normally the Marine for drill instructor duty.

Stable Family. The Marine is not currently enrolled in a command-directed Family Advocacy Program as verified by the local Family Services Center. Divorce or Separation standing alone does not disqualify someone for assignment to DI School. However, a Marine is not qualified when his/her bonafide separation/divorce/ custody proceedings will foreseeably interfere with meeting all DI School training schedule requirements.

Financially responsible. The Marine has demonstrated an ability to manage personal financial management with maturity and judgment, e.g., isn't overextended financially -- to the point of being unable to fulfill his/her financial obligations; doesn't have a pattern of dishonored checks; hasn't filed for bankruptcy within the past two years.
    The Marine should have approximately $550.00 net available funds (including SDA pay of $275.00) after completing the Commanding Officer's Financial Worksheet.

Physically qualified. The Marine experiences no difficulty in passing the PFT. Students participate in a rigorous PT program. Ankle, knee, or back problems will be aggravated. Physical fitness cannot be put off until reporting to DI School. Marines should score a first class PFT 90 days prior to the class reporting date. Marines who do not score a first class on the initial PFT at DI School will struggle through the physical training portion of the program of instruction. Endurance and physical stamina are necessary for DIs in order to endure sustained periods on their feet in front of recruits. Additionally, DIs must be able to conduct daily PT with recruits and lead by example, making corrections, and monitoring safety.
    Meets minimum obligated service. Marines must have a minimum of 2 years of active service remaining upon completion of School.

Swim Qualification. A Marine's combat water survival qualification must be current and at a minimum of 4th class (CWS4). CWS4 qualification is a graduation requirement.

Meets personal appearance and height and weight standards. The Marine must be within the Marine Corps height and weight standards IAW MCO 6100.10_. No unresolved history of assignment to weight control or personal appearance programs is authorized. The Marine must be weighed/measured in P.T. gear, no shoes.

Annual training. The Marine is required to complete annual training prescribed by CMC prior to detaching. (Rifle/Pistol Requal, BST, etc.)

Medically qualified for duty: A physical examination by a medical officer must be conducted within 12 months of the class reporting date and state "qualified for DI duty" in block 77 of SF88. The Commanding Officer and the Medical Officer will also screen the Marine and the Marine's medical records per the Commanding Officer's Medical Screening Guide.

the school is pretty demanding but you can do anything you put your mind to........

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thanks for the input Marines... like I said, it's a ways off, but it's never too early to plan.

ENVIRO said it correctly and If anyone wants to be a DI you must know that what you went through in boot camp will be double there, it was hard work but the end product is when you can get you certificate that you completed a sucessful tour and didn't get into trouble to take it away. just think to yourself about some one you know with authority in your life standing over you and say "would I do that if they were watching me" SF

If you are one of the lucky ones to become a DI, remember that what happens while you are on duty stays at the Depot when you are off duty. This worked for me and I spent 7 years molding recruits into basically trained Marines. Also remember that the Recruit SOP is nothing more than a guidline and you job is to make a basic Marine out of a spoiled civilian.

Forget the Honor Platoon stuff and train your recruits in to a cohesive unit.

You will find that there are many cheating DI's who will do just about anything to get a streamer on their guideon. One of the most common is having pvts switch shooting jackets at the range on qual day. If you do that you are only cheating the pvt who doesn't get to qualify and he wonders for the rest of his tour if he can hit anything with the rifle.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No more shooting jackets for recruits now Gunny... but I do know what you mean... esp. regarding the SOP as "guideline" (and a very loose one!)

Thread Information