The Punks in our Public Schools - Page 3
Create Post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    I'v been around a few years, ( now a retired law enforecment officer) but I don't I remember ever hearing about anyone being so totally lacking in morals or remorse that would commit such an act! My heart goes out to this child and her family. Almost as important, is the question in my mind-where does this (or these...) schools get off thinking they don't have to take responsibility? Did they think it would be okay to just "shove" the matter under the table? No consience? No caring for a fellow human? God help us all...

Registered User Free Member larry0351's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I coach football at the jr. high, and I see all kinds of kids. But it seems to me that its the trouble makers are the ones who make the most fun. I personally take them aside and make their young lives a living hell. By the time practice is over they are almost crawling to mommy and daddy. But we can only do so much,parents need to stop being buddies and start being what these kids need.A parent who is not afraid to put these little pieces of sh#t in there place.

I was single mother for many years. I had to work to put food on the table and a roof over our heads. But my children were my main focus in life. I raised them with the Marine Core Values (though I didn't know it at the time).

I taught them to be respectful, to be obedient, and to follow the rules. The concept was very simple; "This is not a democracy, you do not have a say in how this house is run."

The consequences were also very clear; loss of priveleges, grounding, or spanking depending on the age and the infraction.

They came from a "broken home" with an abusive father. In spite of that they grew up to be honorable, productive, responsible adults.

The end result? My son is now in bootcamp at San Diego and my daughter is in her last year of college going for a teaching certificate.

I guess my point is, having a single parent, coming from a broken home....those are excuses for bad behavior, not reasons.

Parents need to take an active role in their children's lives. At school, on the playground, anywhere their children go. Parents need to know where their children are, what they're doing, and who they're doing it with. They need to set specific guidelines and then enforce them.

Little Johnny's self esteem will not be harmed if he doesn't have the latest video game or most fashionable clothes or the best car. However, he will suffer if he doesn't respect others or their property. He will suffer if he believes that the world "owes" him because he had a "hard life".

I'm betting the kids in the article were never held responsible for their actions, never suffered the consequences of bad behavior, and the school compounded that by trying to sweep the incident under the rug.

Kudos to the girl's father for calling the police. Although I have to say that if it were my daughter, the little punks never would have made it to the police station, at least not without an "accidental" fall along the way.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Well said, Fancie.

And in regards to your kids . . . Outstanding job on your part. Congrats.

Registered User Free Member larry0351's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    This is to the single mom. My wife and I are raising two kids,and its rough on us.So I can imagine how hard it must have been for you. All I can say is you did a great job,and I wish there was more parents like you.

And that principal and assistant principal can vote.

Registered User Free Member hillbilly_0311's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    thank you for that reply, wrestler07! i heartily agree with you that it isnt fair to group all of your generation into one category. actually, i have a nephew in the Naval Academy right now, who is , as far as i'm concerned, the direct opposite of the "undisciplined, lazy, and disrespectful" youth that we are all too familiar with, and see on the streets everyday. is he an exception? i dont think so. but i do think that where he is now goes back to the way he was raised, with good moral standards and a firm understanding of right and wrong. and i challenge you, wrestler07, to mentor, admonish where necessary, share, and pressure as you see fit, your generation's "loose cannons", showing them that with a value system such as yours, they can "be somebody", can do something useful in their young lives, and can avoid the stigma placed upon them by us old farts as being nothing but a bunch of "losers" the challenge is there, will you rise to it?

S/F
    hillbilly

I don't know most of the answers.........H*ll on a good day I might know some of the questions.........lol

But I do agree with things going down hill....after God was kicked out of our public school systems. Was that the do all and end all leading to our youth spiralling down hill.? NO but it sure helped push it along alot.

To say kids in GENERAL now days are danderous would be an understatement. H*LL back in the 60's 70's kids could be dangerous....... Now they have graduated from dangerous at times. To down right leathal........ Think back.........when alot of us were in school and had problems with others............What usually would result from such a thing...? Perhaps a bloody nose, scraps and bruise.

Now days these kids/young adults don't think twice.......... of going home and coming back with daddys gun and capping a bunch of people.

Our laws are way to lenient on minors in this country. If a "KID" is old enough to take a life.............They should be old enough to forfeit their own life.

Im all for meeting force with force in most situations. And nothing would make me happier then to see the punks.......little wanna-be gang bangers..........Walking the straight and narrow.

But I really doubt it will happen........These kids have more rights and like the parent here with the two teachers in the family already said...............Teachers are so restricted from doing what needs to be done.

But your suggestion of Marines partolling sure sounds good...!!!

Semper-Fi

God bless the Corps

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    FOCUS Marines..... FOCUS !!

My rants on the subject, and then I'll hush.

Is it the youth, or their role models, parents, peers ??

Trying to look through the fog of the media, I see that these acts are perpertrated by misguided and undiscliplined people.
    A product of their environment !!

These ARE motivated, active minded people. They are looking for something.... ANYTHING.... that will satisfy their 'here and now'.
    These are not unmotivated 'couch potatoes'. This brings me back to their environment, or LACK thereof.

Is it lenient laws, or parents ??
    Perhaps a lenient society in general, that doesn't confront these matters head on. Instead, we close (and lock) our doors, and let 'the law' protect us.

I consider myself lucky, that I have never had to face down one of these situations. 6 kids, the youngest a Junior in High school now, and so far so good.
    Close calls... sure.
    But I like to think that a back ground of ultimantly know right from wrong prevailed. And they were allowed to learn 'the hard lesson', rather than Mom or I running behind them to cover their tracks.

All I'm ranting about is... DON'T blame the kids, blindly.
    A dog acts, they way it is taught / raised.
    As our youth grow, their minds are SPONGES.... absorbing all they can. You spend a lifetime soaking up sh!t... and that is what you will get when you wring out the sponge.

Who raised these kids ??
    Again, I think I would have to turn myself in to the police, AFTER I had my way with the kids.... AND their parents.

Terry

Focus......? whats their to focus on...... Can you honestly say your kids are being schooled...........Like kids were when you were in school...?

H*ll I remember sassing a teacher and he gave me the back of his hand across the mouth. Then told me to go to the boys room to stop my bloody nose.......Then after school he called my home and when I got in.........I got another from my Mother for making the teacher call.

No the Kids don't set down laws.........rules.......regs of any kind. But they sure know how to play with the rules for their benefit.

How many school shootings do you remember during your school years...? Now....think, in the last 10-12 years.........how many do you recall..??? Is it all the parents faults......... h*ll no it's our judicial system and the judges. But do you think for one moment these kids don't realize this also...? Hence............. the term playing the system.

I feel you can only blame the parents for so much of this crap..!!
    H*ll.......alot of these kids..............would run to the law if one of their parents did.........what is actually needed to be done. and these kids know it too.

Oh bye the way...im a father of 6 also oldest 34 youngest 22

Semper-Fi

God bless the Corps

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    I said I'd hush...
    But let me clarify.

What I'm trying to point out is that, in MY opinion, there is too much emphasis on the kids, the school system, the judicial system, and even society itself.

It's NOT the schools job to raise our children.
    It's NOT the courts job to teach them right from wrong.
    It's NOT societys job to make them better citizens.

I'm saying, that the FOCUS should be more on the parents.

It's the PARENTS that told the school they couldn't spank little Johnny, the same PARENT that didn't teach right from wrong.

It's the PARENTS that sue the courts over little Janie having to say the Pledge or remain silent for a few seconds every day, the same PARENT that doesn't teach respect and honor.

It's the PARENTS of these kids, that dictate what society will allow to be acceptable, the same parent that screams 'Civil Liberties' when ever they don't want to get off their a$$ and do what's their parental responsibility.

I'm saying... the FOCUS should be more on the parents of these children.
    Florida has a gun law, that basicly states that if a MINOR is allowed unsupervised access to a handgun, the OWNER of the weapon is held accountable for the actions.

Sounds GOOD to me. Children LEARN responsibility from their parents. If the parent (adult) is NOT responsible, what will the 'sponge' absorb ??

And it sounds like YOU (and the Mrs.) made sure that your children KNEW the differences. Sounds like you didn't pass the responsibility of raising YOUR kids off onto the schools, and teachers.

Semper Fi

Parents are and should be responsible for the actions of their children at all times.

I believe it starts with respect.

Children must first respect themselves, then respect others, then respect property and so on right down the line.

Originally posted by mrbsox
    I said I'd hush...
    But let me clarify.

What I'm trying to point out is that, in MY opinion, there is too much emphasis on the kids, the school system, the judicial system, and even society itself.

It's NOT the schools job to raise our children.
    It's NOT the courts job to teach them right from wrong.
    It's NOT societys job to make them better citizens.

I'm saying, that the FOCUS should be more on the parents.

It's the PARENTS that told the school they couldn't spank little Johnny, the same PARENT that didn't teach right from wrong.

It's the PARENTS that sue the courts over little Janie having to say the Pledge or remain silent for a few seconds every day, the same PARENT that doesn't teach respect and honor.

It's the PARENTS of these kids, that dictate what society will allow to be acceptable, the same parent that screams 'Civil Liberties' when ever they don't want to get off their a$$ and do what's their parental responsibility.

I'm saying... the FOCUS should be more on the parents of these children.
    Florida has a gun law, that basicly states that if a MINOR is allowed unsupervised access to a handgun, the OWNER of the weapon is held accountable for the actions.

Sounds GOOD to me. Children LEARN responsibility from their parents. If the parent (adult) is NOT responsible, what will the 'sponge' absorb ??

And it sounds like YOU (and the Mrs.) made sure that your children KNEW the differences. Sounds like you didn't pass the responsibility of raising YOUR kids off onto the schools, and teachers.

Semper Fi
    mrbsox .....your right and most of that i'd have to agree with.
    Another area I may have been a bit different from some parents in my thinking was.............. I never automatically took one side over another when listening to Kids Vs. teachers squabbles. or complaints. Seems like some parents..........Just go into a protective type mode, not listening to anything except their child.
    What kind of message does this send out to the kids...?

Semper-Fi

God bless the Corps

Well here in the United Kingdom some of the kids are right pains.

On my car I have a simple sticker which says Royal Marines with the Globe and Laurel inbetween the two words. Thats all, nothing else. Just something I did for myself and do for a few fellow Royal Marines all around the world.

This one little git decided he was going to have it. Shame he didnt have a lookout posted really. I came up behind him, grabbed his belt and yanked the git upright with much venom and satisfaction in knowing that I may have extended his career as a choirboy!

On another occasion in the village where I live we have these Charity bags put though our letter boxes. If we have stuff to give to the charities we fill the bags and leave them outside the night before for the people to pick up in the morning.

One Friday morning I came out of the house to see all these bags had been kicked all over the place by the Local "Hardmen" a bunch of pains all about 16/17 years old. Old clothes, bits of crockery were everywhere.

A few weeks later another bag came through the letterbox. I left it outside. The wife heard the screams round about 2300hrs. Well if your going to kick a bag full of bricks your going to break your foot aint yer?!?

I had that nice warm happy feeling you get when you know you've done summut good for the world in general. Too Wit made some ignorant little git suffer!!! That'll learn em!

Steve Evans

Thread Information