USMC Forces in Vietnam April 1965
Create Post

Cool USMC Forces in Vietnam April 1965

USMC Forces in Vietnam April 1965

Elements of the Marine Battalion Landing Team, 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marines, landed over Red Beach 2 at Danang on April 10, 1965, and were helilifted to Hue-Phu Bai to establish a Tactical Area of Responsibility (TAOR). On the same day, VMFA-531 arrived at Danang Airfield. On April 12th an advance party from Marine Air Support Squadron –2 (MASS-2) arrived at Danang to help establish a Direct Air Support Center (DASC) and Air Support Radar Team (ASRT). By April 13th the 3rd Marines had arrived at Danang, and an HMM-162 detachment was established at Hue-Phu Bai. The 1st BN. 12th Marines arrived and were absorbed by the Brigade Artillery Group (BAG), and Detachment J, 1st Radio BN arrived in Danang. With these developments, the 9th Marine Amphibious Brigade was in a position to take more aggressive action in carrying out the provisions of its basic mission of reinforcing the RVNAF defense of the Danang airfield. Deeper offensive patrolling and civic action in the hinterland was begun.

3rd BN, 4th Marines came ashore at Red Beach 2 on April 14th and were soon helilifted to Hue-Phu Bai. By April 16th Marine Air Support Squadron–2, and VMCJ-1 were both in Danang. On April 19th Regimental Landing Team-3 was reorganized as the 3rd Marines (Rein) and the TAOR at Danang was enlarged. The mission of the Regiment was expanded to include aggressive patrolling with the expanded TAOR and the preparations for conducting offensive operations as a mobile reaction force. On April 22nd a reconnaissance company was fired upon by an estimated 100-150 Viet Cong and VMFA-531 was called on to provide close air support. As April came to an end, Companies E and F of 2nd BN, 3rd Marines participated in the first joint operation with ARVN forces in RVN. There were 1,600 Marines in Phu Bai with responsibility for the 2 square mile TAOR. The Marine force at Danang had grown to 6,500 men and a TAOR of 12 square miles. Estimates of enemy forces within 50 miles of Danang included 26 units with over 3,500 men.

In early May 1965 the III MAF would be established and the 9th Marine Expeditionary Brigade (MEB) would be deactivated with the establishment of the 3rd Marine Division (Rein) (Fwd) commanded by MajGen. Collins.

www.thevietnamfiles.com

Ellie

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Thumbs up Us Forces

Drifter,
    I was a part of that advance party with 2/3.I was in 81's.We were only there for about 90 days if memory serves me right.We later deployed there.I was also a part of the Gulf of Tonken (pardon the spelling)before making land.I was wounded in Quang-Tri province.

Yep,it started to grow under the leadership of LBJ. I was there under the leadership of JFK three years before. JFK did not want US troops in the RVN except as advisors. That would be a wise choice now in the middle east in my opinon.

I think it was about money, big money then, to be had by the military/industrial complex. Same for the middle east today.

But then, without a lesson learned by the people, history repeats it's self.

Some of us went up the Perfume River to the City of Hue by Mike boat than we were trucked to Phu Bai.
    In April of 1965.
    Thanks for bring back memories of our past.
    Phu Bai was just a small air strip than with a small tower.
    There was an Army Communication unit that we were providing the security, it was in need of.
    Those Army dudes had air conditioning, and we were dying of all that heat.
    I wrote a small story about our first night in Vietnam.
    God, it looked like the 4th of July in April, because many were so young.
    And there was all that fear of the unknown by many.
    Next morning our Platoon Sergeant gave us a big butt chewing.
    After that there was very little firing of any weapons.
    All of us have ideas of the why of Vietnam.
    From hind sight now all these years. we can see the why.
    Our stand in Vietnam, was part of the "cold war" and it help in the down fall of the Soviet Union.
    Its sad that the hard lessons learned in Vietnam, were forgotten.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

I should have stated that I was part of India Company 3rd Bn 4th Marines in 1965.
    We were part of the 1st Marine Brigade in K-Bay Hawaii pior to Vietnam.
    I was in 3rd Recon till the Brigade got to Okinawa, on arriving.
    Many of the line companies found themselves short of NCO's because many had to be left behind because they did not have enough time left on their tours in Hawaii.
    So that how I became a Squad Leader in India 3/4

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

PS
    I did a lot of walking on point at night because many could not see well at night.
    Wonder why?

Some "Sea Stories" here

http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/ourfirstnight.html
    Our First Night in Vietnam.

http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/epilogue.html
    Epilogue to Our First Night in Vietnam

http://www.geocities.com/millrat_99/saddestday.html
    A Sad Day in My Life

I hope this gives you an insight to my service in Vietnam.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

Thread Information