Officer over enlisted
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Officer over enlisted

I am curently at a delima. My goal in life is to become an officer in the United States Marine Corps. At the same time I wish to attend Texas A&M and the Aggie Corps of cadets.

From the recruiters I have heard time and time again to how their way is the best, ie: MECEP Program, or going enlisted than doing the Scholarship NROTC or Academy option and becoming a Mustand. From the officers at Texas A&M and other schools I have heard that I should take the opprotunity of a NROTC scholarship and/ or PLC program now or as soon as possible, instead of going enlisted first? This gets a little confusing. I was hoping to get the strait dope from those in the fleet as to which route is more promising, or will give me more credence once in the Marine Corps. Is there really destain for officers that did not come from the enlisted ranks? Or is it more of if you do your job giving 110% that you are looked at the same as officers/mustangs with prior service?

I have done reading on this, and have read about great Marine officers who have taken both routes, but even then its hard to get a clear picture.

Myself, I am a pretty bright student, top 10% testing and grade wise in country and missed the NROTC scholarship this year due to a low PFT score, something I am now steadily bringing up now. I am at a crossroad right now and trying to decide which road to take. Any help, guidance with the above question would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for what yall do, or have done, and sorry for the long post.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Follow Your Heart

Well Kid

Please let me give you my two cents. First off out the gate I would have to say that yes enlisted Marines have a propensity for admiring a mustanger over a what we used to call a 90 day wonder. Secondly I also have to advise you that I served under many officers of Marines that were not and one of them actually saved my life in Vietnam. So I reckon that my advice to you would be to follow your heart, as it will serve you well.

Good Luck
    Jim

Go to school, it's easier to do it sooner than later.

Or, go into the reserves if you can't wait, and still go to school. That's what I'm doing right now.

Originally posted by lprkn
    Go to school, it's easier to do it sooner than later.

Or, go into the reserves if you can't wait, and still go to school. That's what I'm doing right now.
    Yep, thats what I'm doing. Hopefully by I'll get my degree from U of Illinois and my butter bars in four years.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Thank you all for the feedback. Still not exactly sure what I will do.

From thoes who have served under any former Texas A&M corps of cadets member who are now officers or enlisted, how did their leadership compare to others in general?

I know this is a small margin of officers, but Im sure someone somewhere has had an experience with an Aggie. I want to make sure I enter the right program to help develop me into a functioning Marine Officer, esspecially if I take the college route first.

Again, thanks for the feedback, and thank you for serving my country,

Jon

yes i agree with Iprkn go reserves and why your in the reserves do your college. that is what i would do if i was in your shoes

Thread Information