Someone, help me understand!!
Create Post

Someone, help me understand!!

I can NOT for the life of me understand liberal ideology! Let me explain what I just don't understand.

Liberals (for the most part) are:

Pro-choice
    against capital punishment
    Pro more rights for criminals/terrorists
    pro letting a disabled American starve to death
    and for larger government...

Yet in the case of Terri Schiavo they are the ones blocking the bills and sentancing her to death. They are so busy in the politics of it all, trying to make republicans look bad for "wanting the government in our personal lives" that they are ignoring the fact that this is a HUMAN life.

Whether you believe in abortion or the death penalty or not this is not consistent.

They believe that it is okay to take a defenceless human baby and end its life.
    They are mostly against killing people who have commited horrible crimes such as murder.
    They are the party that supports animal rights, such as not killing wild rabbits, or overpopulated geese that poop everywhere,
    They are the ones trying to give terrorists and criminals more rights.
    Now they are the ones letting a disabled American starve to death over a period of 2 weeks, she is denied from even sucking on ice-chips.

We don't even treat dogs like this in America, but the liberals are the ones permitting it

But You can be sure if we took a captured terrorist and we let them die this way that the left would be SCREAMING foul play.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Amen Mandy

No disagreement here, you did forget one thing and thats prosecuting our brothers and sisters for doing their jobs and doing them well.

yes, i agree that is one thing that I did forget!

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    First: The way the word "liberal" gets thrown around these days is really starting to get to me. "Liberal" as defined by Webster's Dictionary is as follows:

a. Not limited to or by established, traditional, orthodox, or authoritarian attitudes, views, or dogmas; free from bigotry.
    b. Favoring proposals for reform, open to new ideas for progress, and tolerant of the ideas and behavior of others; broad-minded.
    c. Of, relating to, or characteristic of liberalism.
    This has not a D*MN thing to do with the political ideologies people often associate it with. I'm a registered democrat: I'm pro-choice, but I'm also pro-death penalty (assuming irrefutable evidence... I'd rather a thousand guilty men go free than execute a single innocent man), I'm in favor of government providing for citizens a reasonable amount of services that the individual or market cannot provide. However, it is inaccurate to accuse "liberals" or "the left" or "democrats" as solely in favor of "big government"- look at where the USAPATRIOT act came from... some of the biggest government in decades- attributed largely to "the right"/"conservatives"/"republicans" Look at what's happened with government interfering in the private lives of Americans, in the bedroom, legislating what's legal and illegal when it comes to sex and marital relations, we still have a ban on homosexuals openly serving in the military, which is largely a throwback to a much more conservative mindset, gay marraige and in some states even homosexual relationships are illegal under longstanding laws. Regardless of your ideological positions on homosexuality, the fact that the GOVERNMENT is getting involved in the issue is a HUGE intrusion upon the private lives of Americans. Under the Bush administration, we now for the first time have federally mandated standardized testing for American school children- yet another instance of the federal government taking over what has been for decades a state domain. If you want to talk about 'big government, ' find out how much money was spent on "No Child Left Behind," or to do searches of American Citizens' LIBRARY RECORDS. Big government is FAR from a "liberal"/"Democratic"/"leftist" trait.

Don't buy into the hype. Do some research, all these documents are available in the public domain. Then decide for yourself. I'm a democrat, and yes, even a "liberal," but I'm also a United States Marine, and my personal politics get put aside when I put on the uniform- I serve at the pleasure of the president- I respect the office, period.

While it's not a popular decision by any stretch of the imagination, consider this: This "woman," if you can really refer to her as that anymore, has been clinically braindead for years. We can maintain the shell, but everything that makes up her, her personality, her ability to function, anything, is gone, and cannot ever be restored. So right now, we've got an enormous strain on the people footing the bill and a woman being kept alive by what you could call extremely unnatural means. If she had explicitly stated, as it's said she did, that she never wanted to be kept "alive" in this manner, then I think it's completely appropriate for her husband to honor that wish. I know I wouldn't wanna end up like that... if I'm not coming back, then let me go... I'll improvise, adapt, and overcome in the great beyond.

Ok that's my $0.02, I'm done for now.

With the utmost respect of you and your position as a Marine I disagree with you. I have educated myself. I have been extremely involved in politics for years. I like to know what is going on in the world and U.S. government, so i research it.

Now i would ask that you do your homework when it comes to the Terri Schiavo case. Of course we can call her a woman. Only a few doctors have said she is brain dead. If you listen to doctors that have actually spent time with her then you will learn that they say she can recover to a certain extent. She has shown no signs of progress because her husband refuses to get her any kind of treatment. She smiles, she recognizes people. She at least deserves to be called a woman. The husband has another woman and two kids with her... he has been offered a million $ to sign over the rights to the parents, he refused...he wants her gone, and cremated immediatly. Sounds fishy... I have done my research LivinSoFree. I was not trying to offend you. I did say that liberals (for the most part) believe in those things, and i still stand by that, but I respect your opinion and position as a Marine. Democrat or Republican, thank you for serving!

Wow! This is a very deep rooted discussion of the value of life!

One says kill her with starvation, she no longer has value.

The other says to allow her to live because all humans have value.

"Life" has value!

I guess it all boils down to this, what is the value of a human life and who should deside when no value at all is left. No value to others and most importantly, no value to the self of the helpless person being judged.

Quote:

"I'm pro-choice, but I'm also pro-death".

Both---are---death! A death sentence set by other humans that have a liberal view.

I'm a conservative, I'm pro-life.

I might add, you as a liberial need to do some research yourself.

I'm a libertarian conservative and I say Congress has no damn business sticking their noses where it don't belong. It's a big waste of my tax dollars. What happened to conservatives being about states' rights? Have the Republicans abandoned their conservative roots?

For understanding let's try an analogy;

We drag three gut shot Marines onto a chopper. The Corpsman looks them over. Two look strong but the other looks weak. The Corpsman desides that he will work on the two strong ones and let the weak looking one die. (He doesn't know that the "weak looking Marine" has been in the field for a long time and is dehydrated and is suffering from malnutrition.) Who should live and who should die?

Who should deside?

Conservitive............liberal...???????????????

Liberals (for the most part) are:

Pro-choice
    against capital punishment
    Pro more rights for criminals/terrorists
    pro letting a disabled American starve to death
    and for larger government...

Amanda...........you're way off base here. I've been called a Liberal before.......And you might be correct on one thing you've mentioned on your list.

Im for Capital punishment
    Im for very little rights for criminals..and no rights for terrorists
    Im for NO Americans starving to death
    Im not for a larger government.............But a more united one.

The Dem's and Rep's foolishly.spend most of their time pointing fingers at one and other. Playing the blame-game.

I know for a fact.......If your kids faught and bickered half as much with one and other. As these politicians do.............You wouldn't put up with it....For to da*n long.

So what Class do I fit into...???????????
    I guess it all depends on who Im speaking to at the time.

Because of some of my views on the war thats going on now. Im considered to be a liberal...by some.
    But once people hear some of my other views on THINGS..
    Most quickly change....????????????????? Im beginning to think some people like to put others that do not agree with them...In little labeled boxes............At any given time...you're a liberal...no wait...your're a conservative...LOL

Semper-Fi

God bless the Corps

Thread Information