Happy St. Patrick's day 2005
Create Post

Happy St. Patrick's day 2005

Saint Patrick (real name: Maewyn Succat?) was kidnapped at the age of 16 by pirates and sold into slavery. During his 6-year captivity he found strength in his religious faith. After he escaped, Saint Patrick studied religion in Europe,then travelledto Ireland to spread the Christian word there. He used the shamrock, which resembles a three-leafed clover, as a metaphor to explain the concept of the Trinity (father, son, holy spirit).

Legend has it that Saint Patrick drove all the snakes out of Ireland -- that they all went into the sea and drowned. Poor snakes. I don't know why he would want to do this, except that the snake was a revered pagan symbol, and perhaps this was a figurative tale alluding to the fact that he drove paganism out of Ireland.

On this day which we celebrate St. Patricks Day, we wish to extent a;

Irish Blessing

May you always have...
    Walls for the winds
    A roof for the rain
    Tea beside the fire
    Laughter to cheer you
    Those you love near you
    And all your heart might desire.

St. Patrick's day
    'The top o' the morning to you,
    And may this shamrock bring you good luck.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

Platoon Leader Platinum Member jinelson's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thank You Ricardo my beloved brother. Eiren go bragh!

Semper Fidelis
    Jim

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    I think that some of those snakes made it these shores. Some even turned into politicians.
    Happy St. Patricks Day one and all. When someone asks you about the green skivvies you're wearing just tell 'em you're okay, you're Irish.
    Have fun.
    Gary

May those who love us love us.
    And those that don't love us,
    May God turn their hearts.
    And if He doesn't turn their hearts,
    May he turn their ankles,
    So we'll know them by their limping.

(Irish toast)

How is everybody celebrating St. Paddy's? Anyone doing anything besides drinking? I know I'm not!

Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Talking It's St. Patrick's Day

I always go to South Boston [Southie] to take in a gala parade they put on...biggest parade in these parts every year...my maternal grandparents were forced out of Ireland in 1898 by the British [Black n Tans] a unmerciful and oppressive police brigade...their farmlands were illegally stolen right out from under them, a Limey designed famine plagued the Irish people; fortunately, the only option was to perservere to get to the USA for a new start...my maternal Irish clan always longed for the OLD SOD forevermore...I hate the British to this day for my ancestor's plight...I know I wouldn't want to be brutally uprooted and driven out and have to start all over again in a foreign land...I was brought up Irish-Catholic by my Irish grandparents and I love being Irish...I fought in Korea and saw the British troops upclose, and I saw their pompous arrogance about themselves...I'll take the Australians, Canadians and New Zealanders anyday before the lousy British!!!...life in these United States has millions of antecdotal memories [long to simmer]...long live the Irish Republican Army...I wish all those who celebrate St. Patrick's Day a fun filled/memorable/reflective time...history will take care of itself...Semper Fi SSGT CHRIS SARNO-USMC FMF

HAPPY SAINT PATTY,S DAY

Thread Information