Waivers, Rank
Create Post

Thread: Waivers, Rank

Question Waivers, Rank

I am shipping out in about a month to Parris Island. I've got a good azvab and GT score is 120. I could basically get any job if it werent for the backround waiver I've had to get. I thought about it and decided to be a grunt, god willing I make it through all the training. My only concern is my ability to move up in rank due to my waiver for my criminal backround, the waiver is for two felony assaults from a few years ago. The charges were self defense taken to the extreme, anyway, any advice on how it works once you get in and if this will effect my ability to achieve higher ranks. Thanks:qmark:

I think once in your in, your in, I knew a kid that had a felony and there only reason how I found that out was because while were were waiting to go in and see the Battalion Sgt. Major for Merit. Corporal bored. He told me how he had turned his life around. He had me so moto, I ended up winning the board. Long story short he got his, and pinned on the Cpl chevrons when he had the points. Just put your record behind you and focus on becoming a Marine. Remember before you can lead you have to follow. Rank will come, sometimes it comes too quick to some. And I'm sure you will see that too.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

God Bless You figurski

What do Marines do best? Dont they assualt in self defense to the extreme? In my book your credentials are outsanding son. I would be proud to serve in combat anyday of the week with you by my side.

Good Luck In Your Quest
    Jim

figurski,
    As for moving up in rank, don't worry on that issue. Your promotions will come by cutting score (time served in rank/ pro/cons /education /etc..etc) and if your squared away, you may get to some meritoriuos boards.

Rarely will your background BEFORE the Marine Corps effect your promotion possibility. It could play a part on a meritorious board, depending what the offense was, and the decision on who to promote is too close to call.

As for cuting score, it should not play a role.

The only thing that I could say some "jobs" require a top secret clearance and if you have some type of disqualifing past waiver (doesn't sound like it) you will not get a top secret clearance. An example would be embassy duty. If you can't get cleared then you can't do MSG duty.

Being a grunt will be the time of your life. Sucks at times but it will always be in you. If you feel up to it try for Mortars, nothing like steal rain to ruin a BBQ party.

Good luck... Your not in bad shape ... wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks guys. I know their giving me private first class going in because i have some college credits and a good azvab score, even still I think the waiver effects my security clearance, either way I am choosing to go in as infantry to get in the ****, not to be a hero or anything. Maybe when I sign up for a second term i'll try for security clearance after I prove myself. thanks again fellas.
    SEMPER FI

The security clearance is not your choice, well of course unless you apply for MSG. I went to bootcamp during the summer of 1997 and had my TS by March of 98. I guess it was important to have someone cleared to stand next to the POTUS... hmmm oh well.

****, I was a drug waiver, and I had waivers for a DUI and several "Minor in Possession of Alcohol" tickets. They still got me in, and I ended up getting meritoriously promoted in bootcamp. Your history has nothing to do with how squared away of a Marine you're going to be. It's about what burns inside of you.

Thread Information