Going enlisted with a college degree?
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Going enlisted with a college degree?

I'm very interested in becoming a Marine. I never gave it serious consideration until I graduated from college (I'm 22). I stopped by a recruiter's office a few weeks ago and was impressed by their no BS attitude. My recruiter looked me straight in the eye and told me that if I want perks, the Marines is not the place for me. I don't need no stinkin' perks. All I'm looking for is a way to grow as a man, serve something larger than myself, and be a Marine.

I don't really care where I end up in the Marines, as long as I'm being put to good use (although I would hate being stuck in an administration job). I want to go enlisted first because a degree is just a piece of paper. I wouldn't feel right jumping into a leadership role without having stepped in the shoes of my men first. And who knows, maybe I'm more cut out to be an enlisted officer. Seems like going enlisted first gives you the best of both worlds.

I have a few questions:

1) How common is it for college grads to go enlisted? Would I not fit in at all?

2) I earned an electrical engineering degree from a good college. How tough is it to re-enter the workforce as a veteran if you haven't used your degree in the military? I'd hate to flush that expensive, hard earned piece of paper down the toilet.

3) How well does the MOS training mesh with people who have a degree in their MOS? It might be akward for someone with an EE degree to be dragged through a basic electronics course.

4) How tough is it go from enlisted to officer with a degree? Can it be done at any time or is this something which can only be petitioned for every few years?

5) Let's say you get an MOS you can't stand. What are your options for transferring to another?

Don't get the wrong idea about me from my questions. I'd be 100% committed to the Corps if I joined. However, there are always those grim meathook realities you've got to consider before making a big decision like this. Thanks for your help.

Carl

Carl,
    No worries, they're good questions and at least it shows your thinking about your options. I'll give you my two cents and I'm sure more people will post some good advise.

1) I served along side a few college grads as a grunt. Your older and that sometimes gives you a bit of an edge on taking the lead. Your maturity will help you more than having a degree. I have met some very smart Marines and sadly some not so smart but it is a HUGE mix. You'll fit in!

2) Getting back into civilian life was not too tough as far as the job thing goes. Employers love military background. The tough part is getting used to slugs and people not walking in step with each other . Your degree will be "enhanced" with a military background.

3) This is a tough one. If you went to the same "field" as your degree, you may just have to suck it up for a while. You'll still have plenty to learn but you'll have to stomach the "elementary" stuff.

4) You will be a good candidate for the officer program. There is a program to go from enlisted to Oficer. Those with degrees already, stand a very good chance. I'm not sure when you would be eligible to apply for it.

5) As for a MOS change. It can happen, you'll certainly have to do some time in your primary MOS. Not always easy and a lot depends on what MOS you have. You can however go to what is called "B" billets. They are not your primary MOS but you can get to them if you meet some requirements that are different for each. Example would be Embassy duty, recruiting duty...

Hope I helped a bit. Keep on the site and asking questions. Lots of info to be had here. Someone will be able to get you the info you need. Good Luck.

Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Carl,
    I can't speak for the officer programs but, I know there are a tremendous amount of options available to you since you already have a degree. Most colleges have Marine recruiters that deal with questions like yours.

3) Speaking from experience in the Avionics MOS, with your background, you could challenge the basic electronics courses.

Good luck!

Just a heads-up...........and remember this is coming from an old jarhead......Looking back to boot-camp...!!

Do yourself a huge favor........by not mentioning your degree to anyone till they notice it in your records...!!!

The Drill Instructors used to take great pleasure out of making examples out of recruites who had degrees.

Don't lie to them......but at the same time don't offer that info.
    Chances are they might know by your records.

Perhaps........Drill Instructors no longer do this.... Maybe someone else who has gone thru in the last few mo's or yrs could say so.

I'm not wanting to bum you out...........your degree will surely help you out in the Corps once you get thru boot..!!!

Semper-Fi......God Bless the Corps

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Welcome to Leatherneck Lifter!

hmmm...no wonder your still considering your options. You go from calling your degree just a piece of paper, to admitting it was expensive and hard earned. To any employer, a degree shows that you can stick to a long term goal until the job is done. Your degree has no expiry date.

If you graduate from Boot Camp and serve above and beyond, there are many Officer programs available, if you desire even more of a challenge.

Stick around. Keep asking questions. Leatherneck is a great place, like your Recruiter, to hear straight shooting.

I think you need to sit down again with a recruiter and discuss both the officer programs and the enlisted. No one goes into officer training a "leader" because there aren't many similar jobs in civilian life. Sounds like you are just a little nervous about taking on the responsibiklity of being a leader ever though you have a degree which might qualify you for OCS.

Hey, let me tell you that from General on down to private every rank in the Marines leads in one way or another. I think you need a better idea of what being a Marine is and what is expected of a Marine whatever his rank.

Registered User Free Member Lock-n-Load's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings

Be an Officer, Now!!

You qualify for OCS now, my suggestion is join up as an Officer candidate...if you can't make through Quantico, then you can become an enlisted man with a college degree at MCRD, you'll still will be a Marine...stop doubting yourself...you're either in or out!!...it's time to get off the pot, college man.

Re: Be an Officer, Now!!

Originally posted by Lock-n-Load
    You qualify for OCS now, my suggestion is join up as an Officer candidate...if you can't make through Quantico, then you can become an enlisted man with a college degree at MCRD, you'll still will be a Marine...stop doubting yourself...you're either in or out!!...it's time to get off the pot, college man.

Ya-what-he-said....!!!! LOLOL

Semper-Fi
    God Bless the Corps

Originally posted by jo1753
    Just a heads-up...........and remember this is coming from an old jarhead......Looking back to boot-camp...!!

Do yourself a huge favor........by not mentioning your degree to anyone till they notice it in your records...!!!

The Drill Instructors used to take great pleasure out of making examples out of recruites who had degrees.

Don't lie to them......but at the same time don't offer that info.
    Chances are they might know by your records.

Perhaps........Drill Instructors no longer do this.... Maybe someone else who has gone thru in the last few mo's or yrs could say so.

I'm not wanting to bum you out...........your degree will surely help you out in the Corps once you get thru boot..!!!

Semper-Fi......God Bless the Corps

so I guess I should consider myself SCREWED because I'll have a degree AND OCS experience, huh? or maybe that means I just need to be that much more locked on.

Credits
    Savings
    I went enlisted with a 4 year degree. In 3rd phase of boot I was asked by the Senior if I was interested in OCS. I decided to stay on the enlisted side because I feel you learn more by hands on "OJT" than through classroom training. That's just my personal opinion.
    SEMPER FI!!!
    vfm

Originally posted by SLU_fly_girl

so I guess I should consider myself SCREWED because I'll have a degree AND OCS experience, huh? or maybe that means I just need to be that much more locked on.
    No maybe you need to re-read the post.........no one said your SCREWED........I also said maybe someone whos been thru in the not so distant past could say if the Drill Instructors still do this or not....!!!

Ask anyone who went thru boot about the same time I did or b4.If they have one honest bone in there bodies. They will tell you how it was or might still be...!! Anyone else as far as I know that is.......don't log into this forum just to make-up lies or exaggerate the truth

,but don't take my word for that too.
    Ask around, use other tools to find out the truth...!!!

Look each....time I post anything along these lines.......I always go out of my way to be sure I mention...........thats the way it was back WHEN.....but it might not be that way now...!!!!

Semper-Fi

God Bless the corps.

Originally posted by jo1753
    screwed = additional "love" i.e. attention from the DIs.

Registered User Free Member alanUSMCDEP03's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    We had a guy in boot who was pulled out 3 days before the crucible b/c his OCS app. finally got approved, left
    PI and went to quantico. As far as extra attention in boot camp, the only extra you will get is u will be given the job of platoon scribe-now if you screw that up you will be screwed.

But the advantage is, since they're responsible for the firewatch roster, they never gave it to themselves-a$$holes, lol

Originally posted by alanUSMCDEP03
    We had a guy in boot who was pulled out 3 days before the crucible b/c his OCS app. finally got approved, left
    PI and went to quantico.
    That's crazy! Did he go straight from boot to Quantico. I can't even imagine. I don't know what week the crucible is done, but that would be at least 20 STRAIGHT weeks of training..... He is one HARD-CORE Marine!!

SLU_fly_girl, I took a look at your profile. No info there.

Who are you?

Thread Information