Question about running
Create Post
    Registered User Free Member
    Credits
    Savings

Question about running

I have 5 months till i leave so I have been running just about everyday whether running my mile and a half or just running on the basketball court with my friends but lately after running my last 1 1/2 my calves would ache i just thought it was temporary but the pain last for weeks and comes back when i run... One of my friends said he had a stress fracture and it was the same exact symptoms....... does anybody know how to rid myself of this

Registered User Free Member chezzplayr05's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    What kind of shoes do you wear when you run? Make sure you get a good running shoe for running and a good court shoe for b-ball. Don't use the same shoe for both. Do you run on the road, a track, or field?

Stretch and warm up for at least 20 min before PT.

If I was you I'd forget about basketball for a while. Give yourself some time to heal, like a couple weeks. You leave in July, right? So you got plenty of time. I'd say that if you were running 2 or three miles EVERY OTHER day by the time you leave and aren't experiencing any bad pain you'll be ok.

STRETCH MORE AFTER YOU RUN. It is just as important if not more important after a work out.

Credits
    Savings
    I usually run on Track and on the road. as far as my shoes they are new balance running shoes.

thanx for all the help

Check out this link to Runner's World. This is a great article on injury prevention and mentions a solution to your problem.

Runner's World

Train hard, but train smart.

If you are using runnning shoes to play basketblall and for your road work that may be your problem. After you rest a while, either cut out the basketball or use basketball shoes, which will give you more support. You will not be playing basketball in boot camp, so my advice is to concentrate on what you will be doing. To me this is like increasing your ability to do pull ups by lifting weights. It might help, but you're better off sticking with the exercise you are trying to improve.

If your pain is in the shin.... then you can be in early stages of shin splints. If that is the case then, as posted earlier, you need to stretch your shins before and after you run. There are a few good stretching excercises for that specifically so do some snooping. I had them real bad and did little more than "ice and rest" over the long haul I developed two fractures almost across the entire shins. Ouch! I do not recommend it.

Capt has a good point on the shoes and dropping the hoops. Give them a rest and ride a bike or swim.

if your pain is in the calf muscle, could be a simple as dehydration or "back to the shoe" thing which could equal a soar muscle or a pull.

Good luck

I also had shin splints during the football season. Apparently I have extremly flat feet. Sometimes the pain in my shins would be so great I could barely walk on them. I tried stretching but it didnt seem to work. So I got Dr. Scholls for my shoes. They seemed to have done the trick because I havnt had pain since I started using them. If I were you, i'd get those for all of your workout shoes,just to see if they help

Drink more water, at least 9 glasses a day---more if exercising!

Run every other day and give the body time to heal and build.

Replace running shoes inserts often.

Credits
    Savings
    thanx for all the help i will take all into account

Thread Information