Request for Info re: Horse Marines in Pacific NW
Create Post

Question Request for Info re: Horse Marines in Pacific NW

I'm starting a research project for a historically based novel about Horse Mounted Marines in the Pacific NW during the Indian Wars. I spoke with Lt. Col George Chin in the mid 70's while I was serving as Public Affairs NCO at MCRS Louisville, KY. If anyone has any information at all about this subject or knows where I may obtain any information about this subject it would help me tremendously. This is a minute segment of our history that has little documentation that I've been able to find. Col. Chin passed away in 1987. We had some interesting conversations regarding this subject in the early to mid 1970's but I haven't had time to pursue the subject until my retirement a couple of years ago allowed me to begin this project.

Marine Family Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Buckasaurus,
    I don't know if I can help but I did have a thought in mind. When you mentioned the Pacific Northwest and Horse Mounted Marines I thought of one of this websites distinguished members by the name of Yellowwing. He had sent me a book about the Native North Americans (Aboriginals in Canada) that served during the World Wars. Perhaps he may know of a resource that can help you.
    In the mean time I'll see what I can find out for you.
    Gary

That's good information. I do not remember if Col. Chin identified the tribal campaign/s involved. I tend to think it was probably one or more of the coastal tribes or splinter bands and there is a great deal of tribal as well as international tribal affiliation in the native people of this region. I have yet to contact the tribal officials for their assistance but getting their perspective is paramount to this research for accuracy. Thank you Gary for your help.

I read the "Thunder Over The Ochoco" series by Gale Ontko which historicaly references about every cavalry outfit activated during that time and don't recall reading about Marines a'horseback or grunt. But, there were Marine detachments at times along the Columbia river from Ft. Stevens to Ft. Vancouver and up to Walla Walla.

Steamers with troops patroled the upper Columbia to intercept Yakima and later on, Snake war party's. Perhaps there were Marines on board?

If a Marine detachment was mounted i would think they would most likely have been stationed at Ft. The Dalles, Simcoe, Walla Walla, Umatilla House? Check with the Tahoma re-enactment Marines if you have'nt already

--->Dave

I guess I should have posted my reply before taking a look at your Public Bio-Sheet. I figured you must be a regional resident. The info re: steamers on the Columbia rings a chord and it could very possibly be that some of the troops in these detachments, if not Marines themselves may have referred to themselves as Horse Marines as some earlier mounted troops during the Mexican War had done. I suppose it is also possible that these units may have had a small number of Marines assigned as observers/advisors in some capacity, possibly to evaluate mounted, marine based patrol activities. Amphibious operations (both actual and test and development of doctrine) have been a part of Marine activities since the birth of the Corps. Certainly your recommendation to contact the Tahoma re-enactment Marines is an excellent idea. You don't per chance have a P.O.C. in that outfit do you? At any rate, many thanks for the information you've provided. I will try to get off a PM in the next few days as we appear to have some common interests and aren't too distantly located.

Buck

I've been pretty busy of late and am remiss in keeping up on getting back to those of you who responded to my request for information. I knew before starting upon this project that it was going to be a rough "forced march." It seems that I've been able to find a bit of information regarding "Horse Marines" during several campaigns including some regarding operations during the U.S. Civil War by Confederate General Nathan B. Forrest's action at Paris Landing, Tennessee in Oct. 1864. However, Slinger Dunn's input has been the closest to the information I'm looking for.

All of you have my grattitude for your responses. At this point my interest in producing a story about a nearly forgotten part of the history of our Corps seems to run onto the rocks and I may have to shift gears into fiction mode in order to continue. Right now it's on to the tribal historians to see if there is any anecdotal information from the Native American perspective.

Semper Fi Brothers.

You might look in here
    Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines

Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines I'm Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines I feed my horse on corn and beans, And sport young ladies in their teens Tho' a ...
    4k - 1 sec @ 56k sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiCAPTJINK;ttCAPTJINK.html sniff.numachi.com/pages/tiCAPTJINK;ttCAPTJINK.html

Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines is an opera in three acts by Jack Beeson written in 1975 to a libretto by Sheldon Harnick after the play by Clyde Fitch. ...
    68k - 10 sec @ 56k en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Jinks_of_the_Horse_Marine... en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Jinks_of_the_Horse_Marines

Amazon.com: Jack Beeson: Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines ...

So, what is Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines? Is it an opera? Yes, it is, but more specifically it is A Romantic Comedy in Music. ...
    37k - 5 sec @ 56k http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Beeson-Ca...Marines/dp/B00... http://www.amazon.com/Jack-Beeson-Ca.../dp/B002ZTM0BG

1868 Song Sheet, Captin' Jinks and the Horse Marines

In 1901, the melodrama, Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines, written by Clyde Fitch, starred Ethel Barrymore at the Garrick theatre in her first Broadway ...
    http://www.liucedarswampcollection.o...te1/jinks.html http://www.liucedarswampcollection.o...te1/jinks.html

Amazon.com: Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines: Rob Carriker ...

Amazon.com: Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines: Rob Carriker, Marlborough Singers & Marlborough Chamber Players Jon English: MP3 Downloads.
    37k - 5 sec @ 56k http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Jinks-...s/dp/B000QOLYN... http://www.amazon.com/Captain-Jinks-.../dp/B000QOLYN2

Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines

Pictures of Jinks, Pembroke Welsh Corgi on the ranch in Colorado with puppy pictures and links to corgi aid and corgis worldwide.
    80k - 11 sec @ 56k aspenvalleyfilm.com/jinks.html aspenvalleyfilm.com/jinks.html

Lyr Req: Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines

Spaeth's noted that Ethel Barrymore made her debut in a play titled "Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines," and "The original song was made famous by William ...
    32k - 5 sec @ 56k www.mudcat.org/thread.cfm?threadid=39353

DRAM: Jack Beeson: Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines

Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines, Act I: Part 1, 32:51, Jack Beeson; Sheldon Harnick, Librettist. Performers: Eugene Green, "Colonel Mapelson"; ...
    76k - 11 sec @ 56k http://www.dramonline.org/albums/jac...tain-jinks-of-... http://www.dramonline.org/albums/jac...-horse-marines

Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines: Information from Answers.com

Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines (1901), a comedy by Clyde Fitch. [ Garrick Theatre, 168 perf.] When Aurelia Johnson of Trenton, New Jersey, ...
    171k - 24 sec @ 56k http://www.answers.com/topic/captain...e-horse-marine... http://www.answers.com/topic/captain...orse-marines-1

WAR IN CHINA: Last Review - TIME

In 1901 Charles Frohman produced Playwright Clyde Fitch's Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines. Female

Thanks Ed. I think this operetta is where the facts regarding horse marines got lost, or at least diverted into obscurity. The internet is flooded with information about Captain Jinks of the Horse Marines. There were of course the Famous Horse Marines in China that dated back to the relief of the legation during the Boxer Rebellion. I was told by Col. George Chin in the mid 70's that there were actually some Horse Marines operating in the Pacific NW during the late Indian Wars and got a lead on River Operations on the Lower Columbia that may pan out, but I've only been able to get bits and pieces of what I'm actually looking for. I guess I need to concentrate on Records Division at Marine Corps History Branch. One of the more interesting bits of info I've found is the informal definition of the term "Horse Marine" being one who is out of one's element; a misfit.

The British Royal Marines had horse mounted detachments assigned to some of their ships whose main purpose was to mount amphibious raids on horseback to cause as much damage and confusion along the coast as possible. Due to the limited ability to quarter horses onboard ship the doctrine called for only about 30% of the Marine force to have mounts afloat. These Marines would be landed then raid inland obtaining additional mounts for the remainder of the Marines who were following on foot until mounts could be obtained. (This sounds quite a bit like the early doctrinal foundation for what later became the British Commando Units of early WWII fame [who were also Royal Marines.)

Thanks again for your info. Gung Ho!

Maybe you can contact the Marine Corps Museum IVO Quantico, Va. Not sure if they gather/give out info, but they might.

Thanks!

Thread Information