Conversation with an Officer
Create Post
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Conversation with an Officer

There was an USMC Officer Recruiter at my college today so I stopped by to introduce myself and say hello. We talked for awhile about the Marine Corps and he said that no matter how bad things are when a Marine is on active duty - all Marine Officers always look back on their time happily and most Marines do too... I was just wondering what you Marines thought of this Officer/Enlisted point of view. Also he referred to Marine Officers and Marines - is that distinction always made? I've only met a few Officers so I don't know much about them.

Thanks

Pat

Registered User Free Member Pel's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    I cant give advice on this because there are others out there that will give it better justice. But lets just say that I am going to Earn the title of Marine.

Pel

Registered User Free Member THATFEMALE's Avatar
    Credits
    Savings
    The fleet is what you make of it. If you choose to be miserable and hang around the misguided leathernecks then of course you're going to have a bad time. I love the corp and I've seen both sides of it but it's up to you. I think maybe you appreciate your time more once you get out. I don't know I'm a "Career Marine." While both have earned the tittle there is a big difference between officers and enlisted. I don't want to offend anyone but if you earn the tittle you'll see. Officers who have been enlisted at one time or another provide the best info.

I had a Lt. that when he got out after his contract was up, he confessed to us that he wished he had become an enlisted marine. There is definately a difference between the enlisted side and the officer's corps, but you still both hold the same title. We just have more fun on the enlisted side. Oh, and if you claim that you want to be a "Career Marine", stay in the fleet and stray away fromt he MSG program.

yellowwing
    Guest Free Member
    Officers are trained to Lead from day 1. They have higher standards amongst themselves.

We are truly Devil Dogs. Our enemies' worst nightmare! It takes a rare quality to lead us.

Officers have the priviledge to lead us. And the responsiblility to do it effectively. They do it mostly by example.

One Sea Tale was that the First Recon Commanding Officer completed 3 full PFTs with only a 5 minutes to rest in between. He scored a perfect 300 every time.

From what I observed in my few months inside (not at) the Base Head Quarters Battalion, they are always 'On'.

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Echo's of 'yellowwing'...

I do feel Marine officers are held to a higher standard, both by their superiors, and by themselves.
    Are they PERFECT... no. And I think a GOOD Officer will tell you that, but not in front of 'the troops'.

Are they reffered to differently (Marine vs. Marine Officer) was the question..
    I think it depends on the context of the reference, and to some extent, the arrogance of the Officer.

Terry

Hmnnn, toughie, without letting some of my bad feelings about some officers out.

There is a HUGE difference betwenn and enlisted marine, and a Marine officer.

I have to agree, that for the most part, Marine officers tend to always be "on" They have to be. A Marine officer with a bad fitrep, even ONE less than outstanding on it, as far as I know, is DONE. he will not be promoted( at least, thats what I always heard, so don't take that as gospel) while and enlisted Marine, depending on the mistake he/she made, can recover from it and go on to have a very nice career.

The few Officers I was around enough to get to actually know, always confided in me that they wish they had gone enlisted. ( two different 2nd LT's)

A Marine officer is pretty limited in the friends they can make in the Corps. Just an example here. Say there are roughly100 guys in a company. 4 of them are officers, the rest enlisted. Officers can only hang out with other officers off-duty. So if the other three in your company are jerks, you are probably gonna get pretty lonley. Meanwhile, the enlisted guy will probably have between 70-80 other pvt-lcpl's to choose from to make friends ( NCO's are not supposed to really hang with people other than of thier rank either)

That is one of the reasons I got out. I did not want to be promoted again, and lose a large friend base.

Maybe thats silly of me, but to me, friends are VERY important.

The question was asked;
    What Marines point of view on Officer/Enlisted Marines?

Its a double edge sword, without Enlisted Marines, there would be no need for Marine Officers to lead those Enlisted Marines.
    Many Marine Officers have wrote on this matter, that it was a "privilege" to lead Marines in battle, be they Officers or Enlisted.
    Command is a heavy responsibilty, that Marine Officers have to carry.
    I have a couple of "friendships" with Marine Officers, but I still know my place.
    The first word out my mouth is "Sir or Ma-am", it would not do, to address them by their first name.
    From the first day in boot camp or OCS, Marines are being trained to be able to lead if the need araises.
    Are Marines Officers always perfect?
    No! some have fallen in holding to the high standards of leadership.
    Some have proven that the mantle of leadership in combat, was too heavy for them.
    The botton line, we can all claim to be Marines!
    Nothing more, nothing less.

Semper Fidelis/Semper Fi
    Ricardo

Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by Patty_McOorah
    I had a Lt. that when he got out after his contract was up, he confessed to us that he wished he had become an enlisted marine. There is definately a difference between the enlisted side and the officer's corps, but you still both hold the same title. We just have more fun on the enlisted side. Oh, and if you claim that you want to be a "Career Marine", stay in the fleet and stray away fromt he MSG program.

Patty McOorah,

I don't know who you are and I respect your opinion BUT I had an OUTSTANDING time on the MSG program. If you would have replied to my pm to you about the picture you posted I could tell you about them. I was in Bucharest in 96-97. I met my wife there and I have two wonderful childern. Like a post said before you make of it what you will. I have heard that there were problems there but adapt and overcome. Make the Marines proud and bring back the respect the for the Marines through the State Department's eyes. If you need any advice or want to anything about Bucharest let me know.

Originally posted by Pel
    I cant give advice on this because there are others out there that will give it better justice. But lets just say that I am going to Earn the title of Marine.

Pel

I really cant believe that you, a poolee, can have such disrespect for people that you dont even know. Its one thing for a SSGT or a Gunny to say something like that, because they have earned quite a bit in their careers. But you, your not even a Marine yet. I hope you drop this attitude of yours before boot camp. And here is the deal, since you obviously dont have any idea what you are talking about, the selection process for a Marine Officer is even more difficult than that of an enlisted Marine. I am not saying that is it is harder to be an officer than it is to be enlisted because I have only seen one side of the spectrum. Yeah, our OCS is only 6 wks long compared to the 13 wks of hell you will be going through, but think about this. Our Drill Instructors are able to stick it too future officers for those 6 wks. You dont think that they take advantage of this opportunity? Well let me tell you they do. Try being in charge of a company of 200 of your peers while you have 10 Drill Instructors screaming at your face and you are sitting there trying to accomplish a mission. All of this with only 3 hrs of sleep because you had firewatch and a two tests to study for. Keeping in mind that if you fail this billet as a Company Commander, you will be kicked out of the program. Dont bite the hand that feeds you.......

LT

Sir,
    Just for some clarification for everyone about OCS, the total of the core training is 10 weeks.
    You can go for 10 straight or two summers of 6 weeks a piece.(college in between) The additional 2 weeks for the two summers is due to in processing twice instead of once.

Also, not that i should talk because i will be commisioned May 20, 2005, hence not yet a Marine. I thought we "poolees" were not allowed to post.

In my eyes, enlisted and officer are both Marines, period! Each side is different, but one is no better than the other. Same title...I have also heard that your experience in the Corps is what you make of it.

~Brett

Question

Do we need officers to lead others? Thats why we have NCO's they lead just the way it should be, do you need a college degree to lead? I have sent alot of men through boot camp with degree's but alot know that its more fun to be enlisted.

I am curious and want to learn as much as possible before i get out in FMF. How do the NCO's lead? Are they that much different from the Officer's leadership, or is there more respect soley because they are enlisted? What makes the enlisted side "more fun?"

Ductus Exemplo
    Brett

Credits
    Savings
    My Advice Talk to a Warrant Officer.
    SEMPER FI!!!
    vfm

Outside of Nashville, TN. Work in FOB Louisville
    Credits
    Savings
    Originally posted by brettt
    I am curious and want to learn as much as possible before i get out in FMF. How do the NCO's lead? Are they that much different from the Officer's leadership, or is there more respect soley because they are enlisted? What makes the enlisted side "more fun?"

Ductus Exemplo
    Brett
    2 cents worth...

Respect for Enlisted vs Officers;

NCO's tend to be reverered as leaders by 'the troops' for 2 main reasons, in my humble opinion.
    1) They are the immediate superior, next in the chain of command
    2) They are there and interact directly, daily, one on one, with the troops

All of this means that they know you, and you know them. Famaliarity breeds response to orders DIFFERENTLY than does simple authority, as in a DIRECT order vs. a Lawful order.

Officers tend to have 2 stigma's (sp??) against them, once again in my humble opinion.
    1) Officers , by their roll and other duties, lead from afar, as a general rule.
    2) 2nd Lt's. have a 'carma' of inability attached to them
    Nicknames like 'ButterBar' and 'Shave Tail' come to mind.

This 'carma' comes from rumor's about OTHER 2nd Lt's, and sheer inexperiance. Like jokes about Lawers and Sharks...
    "What's the difference between a 2nd Lt. and a P.F.C. ??"
    The P.F.C. has been promoted

I agree that it may NOT be just, or fair, but it exists none the less. Officers have a harder time EARNING respect from the men. Partly because of #1 above, partly due to influence from NCO's and Staff NCO's 'degrading' orders and such. The Lt. would issue a DIRECT order to the Plt. Sgt. He/She would then carry out the order. HOW that is done plays a role in the troops respecting the officer.

LT:
    "Sgt, erect a flag pole on this spot"

Sgt to the troops:
    "Men, we need to erect a flag pole here. That is our current mission. Let's get it done, and done right"
    OR
    "OK guys, that new Fkn shavetail of a Louie wants a d@mn flag pole put up. Don't fkn ask me why, just do it. That's an order"

Can you see the MAJOR roll that NCO's and Staff NCO's play in a troops respect level, and perception of Officers ??

By the time an Officer reaches Captain, he has pretty well overcome both of the above (I could give an exception from personal experiance).

Hope this makes sense.

Thread Information