Making the DEP better!
Create Post
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Question Making the DEP better!

I am currently a recruiter and I have asked all my poolee's about what can we do to make the DEP better for them. I'm just curious as to what you would say since your answers are from all over America, not just my RSS. My point is I want to make the DEP experience as best as possible for all poolee's and any input, good or bad would be greatly appreciated!!!

Semper Fi!!!

SSgt. Brown
    RS Sacramento
    RSS Roseville

Just be honest and don't push the envelope. Just don't be a salesman, the people who truely want to be Marines will come through.

Care as much about your Poolees as you did when you were trying to recruit them. Many recruiters stop after they get you in.

Have poolee meetings every weekend! We used to do them every weekend but now we're only doing them once a month.

Put them on a workout plan.

Dont procrastinate about doing things like changing are ship dates and contract when you ask you to do.

Not a poolee, but I'll throw in my two cents.

The recruiters at my substation played favorites. When I first dep'ed in, they just talked to us once a week and then at the monthly poolee function. But, once they decided they liked you, things changed. Before long I was invited to play basketball at the local Air Force base and other stuff like that. Being around Marines more often served to really motivate me. I would like to see recruiters take that time with all of their poolees. Inviting them to PT with the Marines once or twice a week would be great. Spending some time at pool functions teaching them about Marine subjects and not just going on a PT run is good as well.

I wouldn't really change anything about my RSS. It's pretty much exactly what I like, but at mini bootcamp I saw a bunch of RSS's I woudn't want to be in. Like after we ran a 5k and we got back and we had people handing us fruit and water and there were vets to talk to us, but there were other RSS's that were having all their kids go straight to doing push-ups. I mean I know being in DEP isn't about comfort, but are recruiters were at least encouraging and then let us know what we need to work on. I dunno basically what I like about my RSS is that when it's time I listen and do exactly what my recruiter says and don't talk back at all, but when it's not time for that he's a cool and funny person to just hang around the office. I never thought I'd call out of my own free will just to see what was up, or if I could just stop in the office and maybe work out. I don't know if I wrote my response right...it's not about being babied whatsoever...the whole reason I'm upping my stats right now is because of how hard he is during workouts...it's just he doesn't take it too far. As he says to us all the time "I'm not a DI and I'm not going to pretend to be. You can get that in boot camp. I'm here to help you get ready."...MY RSS OWNS ALL OTHERS

Dang, I guess I got real lucky at my RS.

We have PT tues and thurs nights, and our turn out is...well everyone DEP'd in already.

I guess my recruiters are doing an ok job

Marine Friend Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    We have monthly meetings where the Sgt.s from my RSS and surrounding RSS's teach classes on things like drill movements (simple steps, left right about etc.) or instructions on the M16 and just things like that. Usually hit up some flag football or volley ball or what ever team sport is picked for that month. When ever any local poolle gets back as a Marine, they have then hang around for a few days to answer questions and what not. Workout meetings once a week but they aren't really busy and you can drop in anytime. I go in there more often when I have some time to kill. Just hang out and shoot the ****.

Just be friendly and inviting. There isn't any kind of REAL structure other than on the monthly meetings (runs, pushups) every other day it's more like a hang out spot (for lack of a better term).

One thing that really felt good to hear when Ssgt. Favinger said that basically that recruit station was my ''Home away from Home''. If there is any problems with family or what ever give him or anyone else here a call 24-7 or if you need to talk about something, don't hesitate.

proachbass91
    Guest Free Member
    One thing ive noticed at my RSS and another one when I was back home, is that the out of shape poolee's who have never worked out before, are told to go run and do this and that, but alot of them dont know where to start. Having a recruiter workout with them in the begining till they got started and knew what they were doing would help those individuals alot.

We have poolee functions every wednesday at 5pm which usually consists of either house of pain, football, or running. Also once a month on saturdays we have a function too which usually is different things like going to the reserve center. Last month we had a cookout which was some good eating, of course we had to earn it first by running that is.

Your lucky Brass I dont feel like I can turn to my recruiter at all. When I spoke about a family problem that held me back from seeing her that day she told me it was bull****. I told her the family problem was more important. Oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by Poskew
    Your lucky Brass I dont feel like I can turn to my recruiter at all. When I spoke about a family problem that held me back from seeing her that day she told me it was bull****. I told her the family problem was more important. Oh well.
    Are you in DEP yet? If not, then get a new recruiter!

Poskew, no offense but I can understand her point of view. The Marine Corps has to come first to Marines, and sometimes it is hard for Marines to understand why it isn't that way for other people. There have been countless Marines miss funerals, children being born, and other major events simply because the Marine Corps had to come first.

Thread Information