Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 5
Create Post
Page 5 of 33 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    No army base in dogpatch. But further north on Hi-way 1 across from FLC Camp Books Red Beach there was a fine army steam and cream. As I remember it was like 85th Evac and 80th Group or something like that.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jinelson
    No army base in dogpatch. But further north on Hi-way 1 across from FLC Camp Books Red Beach there was a fine army steam and cream. As I remember it was like 85th Evac and 80th Group or something like that.

Yes you are right.. thats the place I stop there a few times and had my pips cleaned.

Credits
    Savings
    Images

Yes you are right.. thats the place I stoped there a few times and had my pips cleaned.

red beach was a great marine hangout.

Went to Dogpatch 1 time, the day before my Freedom Bird Flight. When I arrived at DaNang, I ran into a buddy from ITR that had been stationed at the Rockpile. After a good BS session, the boredom of waiting for our flight to be announced set in and he decided to make one last run to Dogpatch for a visit with his favorite lady. I "took his back" and off we went. While my buddy was endulging himself for the last time in VietNam, I stood watch for the MP's or any other possible threat. Lo and behold, here comes mamasan yelling that the VC were entering the ville, and telling me to "come quick, I hide"!! Before going with mamasan, I saw several armed VC entering at one end of the ville, and a jeep load of MP's at the other end! Mamasan hid my buddy and I in a hidey hole between the inside walls of the hooch, and we stayed there for what seemed to be forever (we were unarmed, having turned in our weapons upon arrival at DaNang) listening to a quick firefight going on outside. The entire time, I was thinking to myself "DUMBASS, after 19 months in country, you're going to get wasted or captured in a *****house the day before going home, and you're not even getting laid! I also began to wonder how many times mamasan had hidden VC in the same hidey hole I was now standing in. After the excitement, mamasan came and pulled us out of the hiding place and unceremoniously shoved us out the door and we proceeded to haul a$$ back to the DaNang airbase. Once there, the entire incident was the source of much ribbing and laughter. Our Freedom Bird departed that lovely southeastern paradise in the wee hours of the next morning, and thankfully, we were both aboard for the flight. While it may not have been the worst situation I had experienced during my tour, it probably scared the $hit out of me more than any other, cause it was the only time that I could only think about the situation rather than react to it.

Semper Fi

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Thats the Dog Patch I remember maybe even the same house Top. Thanks for sharing that it brought back some fun memories.

Jim

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Man these picture take me back to tha NAM big time! My home base was straight ahead in the second picture. damn! Semper fi

I remember the first time I saw dog-patch/ 4 corners... It was Feb-68 on my way to hill 55 and then on to hill 37 and then on to An Hoa. They all had dog-patches!!! Does anyone remember the smell as you got off the plane in Danang? smelled like to me crap covered with purfume. The further west I went the more it smelled like crap without the prefume.

There is a pitcher of me in Dog Patch in 1966 at 12 Marines web site. 3rd bn. Whiskey Battery

I remember it well. I was with C 1/7 68-69
    SEMPER FI...

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    found a couple more pics headed toward Hill-327 cruising through Dog Patch.

Jim

jinelson if you could explain to me how to send pictures I have a few of dogpatch also just don't know how to get them posted

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Check your PM box bro I sent you some instructions.

Jim

I was with 1st LAAM Bn, H&S and young kids in Dog Patch popped fire crackers around me, the period was around but after Tet of 1966. Mamasan quickly said, they are protecting you from evil sprits. I had been helping their old sibligs with home work in math. These I suppose were street children, maybe they had family. I chose this as my Hearts and Mind work.
    In 1965 Buddhist rebellions had been occurring and we were put under a month long seize. South Vietnamese tanks had approached our position and a Marine MP stopped them at the 4 corners area of Dog Patch, a Navy fighter orbited over head, another marine and myself were assigned rifle grenades to attack them if moved toward the airport and our compound to attack us.
    General Walt had informed the South Vietnamese Air Force we would shoot their planes out of the sky if they continued to bomb their civilians and our marines during that rebellion - what a period.

Oh yes, I stopped by DogPatch and Four Corners several times, In country R&R, out from the bush, 0311, that was in 1968, that is where I got my first dose of the clapp. Baby sahn's had some nasty pootang. I used protection from than on!!! Delta Company, 1/1st MARDIV.

Thread Information