Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 27
Create Post
Page 27 of 33 FirstFirst ... 17232425262728293031 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jamielang1951 View Post
    I think I screwed up that link, so just copy/paste it to your address bar.
    You have some good pics of the surrounding turf.

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    If You wanna see Bobby Garwood in real Life...He work's in a Gas Station in Fall's Church,Va...But He has a bunch of very Onry,very Biggg Brothers hanging around Him like White on Rice.Oh & tha Gas Station is owned by Company Boy's AKA.(CIA) out of Langely,Va...Have a very Nice Day,Boy's & Girl's

Your link was messed up, but I managed to find the album, via your profile. Some good pics there, a few were familiar. I think the one from the mountain, was from the ridge above 1St Mar Div, looking across toward 11'th Motors. Dy Lac pass is just to the left, out of the picture, and the dead end trail on the far montain side was our (11th Motors) water point.

Semper Fi.

Thanks for the info brother, 40 years ago, and I'm now 60 sooo my memory is getting a little fuzzy but I was pretty sure it was 1st MarDiv.
    Here's that link again. This one works.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/al...p?albumid=2632

Thanks for the info brother, 40 years ago, and I'm now 60 sooo my memory is getting a little fuzzy but I was pretty sure it was 1st MarDiv.
    I was with 11th Motors, and used to drive that ridge quite a bit, on the trash and chow run, so it was a very familiar view. 1st MarDiv in the foreground, 11th motors across the valley and, too far away to see, FLC on the far horizon.

Heck, 60 ain't as old as it once was!
    It is funny though, how some things stand out and others, that we thought we'd never forget kind of fade.

Semper FI, brother.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/al...p?albumid=2632
    Pretty sure that's hill 244 in the left/middle of the picture with the little dirt road going straight up (driving up that road was a 4x4 adventure). 1st Mar Div HQ is the bunch of buildings to the right, at it's base. We had several microwave comm sites up there. So did other units. In this picture, you can just barely make out antennas on top of the hill. It was also completely defoliated at the top.

I was up there several times. Including the day our comm bunker for the Saigon tropo-shot was hit by a short round from a mortar the gooks had set up on the west side of the hill. They were trying to send it over into the 1st Mar Div compound. That kind of stuff was pretty common up there.

Great views of Da Nang, and the ocean on the east side of the hill, and you could see Death Valley all the way to Laos on the west side. At night on the east side, Da Nang would be all lit up, and you could see the lights from the ships out at sea. On the west side, it was pitch black except for the flashes of gun fire and explosions of the various firefights happening in the valley, and around An Hoa. It was weird ... life on one side ... death on the other.

Hi Radio Relay, I was Radio Relay Technican with the 1st MAW Headquarter Group Radio Relay Central in DaNang (Dog Patch) and also was on Monkey Mountain with MCAS-4. We had TRC-97s & TRC-27 Microwave, we also had VHF links with An Hoa using AN/GRC-10 with three bay. I was in country February 1969 through March, 1970. I graduated from RRRC in November, 1968.

Radio Call Sign and Check Request

Cherry dumplings apple pie I hear your station 5 x 5 , eennie minnie minney mooo, how do you hear my radio, over – 1963 author unknown, 2nd Light Anti Aircraft Missile Battalion

Quote Originally Posted by Gannet View Post
    Hi Radio Relay, I was Radio Relay Technican with the 1st MAW Headquarter Group Radio Relay Central in DaNang (Dog Patch) and also was on Monkey Mountain with MCAS-4. We had TRC-97s & TRC-27 Microwave, we also had VHF links with An Hoa using AN/GRC-10 with three bay. I was in country February 1969 through March, 1970. I graduated from RRRC in November, 1968.
    Hey Gannet, I got to C&E in Sept '68. So you were basically a year ahead of me. I was first in country with 7th Comm. Starting in October '69, TAD to a site in Phu Bai. Then, transferred to 5th Comm in December. I left Vietnam in October of '70. Camp Hoa Long (5th Comm HQ) was turned over to the Army, and 5th Comm was decommissioned. I then went back to 7th Comm, in Okinawa. So anyway, we probably crossed paths. I never realized there was a comm unit in Dog Patch ... lol.

With 7th Comm, I was helping transition a TRC-97 & MRC-35 site to the ARVN's. The whole thing was a joke, because the ARVN's were lazy and never around. I was glad to be reassigned to 5th Comm.

5th Comm BN HQ, was in Da Nang, on China Beach, right next to MAG 16 Marble Mountain (awesome beach and location). We had a TRC-97 on Monkey Mountain, too. Shooting to Chu Lai, and then I think they had one shooting to Saigon, too. I was up there a few times taking parts up, assisting with fixes, and filling in. Worked with TRC-27's at a site just down from the Rock Pile, and Angry-10's in a lot of places (mostly around Da Nang, and along rte 9, and the DMZ) ... great duty! Saw a lot of I Corps.

Yes we had links also to most of the same sites: we had TRC-97 links to Chu Li, Phu Bai actually drove up Route 1 from DaNang to Phu Bai to deliver parts, and Dong Ha. We had TRC-27 links between Radio Relay Central and Monkey Mountain, and Angry 10 (I never heard it call that, I like it) to An Hoa. All of our users were Air Wing Groups and I wonder if they still segregate the Air Wings from the Marine Divisions communications links.
    I went to China Beach when I had off. Most of the time had to hitch a ride there. I still remember the Bar there and the beach. I remember I could buy hard liquor at PX there, but could not buy it at the PX on base.

Dogpatch, spent some nights there for BoomBoom. Another Hawker from the hill 327 in '66-'67. Also spent time with Bn as a driver, then ran a few convoys carrying bridging.

I was with Echo battery 2/11 at An Hoa 1969-70. As the driver for gun #5, I made a ton of trips to Da Nang and drove through Dog Patch to get to Freedom Hill. After that, I was chosen to be the Co's driver and made even more trips to Da Nang. Had a lot of free time to see the sites, but was warned to stay away from Dog Patch by a MP friend I went through Boot Camp with. Oh, the memories.....(what little I still have)

anyone seen this new site coming out?

http://www.forsalebysoldiers.com It's just now about to launch and I'm going to enjoy selling my house and knowing that the public will check mine out first as a way of showing their support for service. Buddies can even trade or sell from a FOB in Iraq to a FOB in Afghanistan. Check it out and tell me if you agree?

Anybody out there former members of VMFA-513, Danang, 6/65 - 10/65?

Thread Information