Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 26
Create Post
Page 26 of 33 FirstFirst ... 16222324252627282930 ... LastLast
    My 327-Fire Experience happened in 69------Roger Out.Other Corpsman had Oxygen Tanks also-It was a Big EVent......

You Know,I now think there were 10 Fire Companies There-not 5 or 6-this came to me the day after I Posted.Semper Fi Always.....

Credits
    Savings
    Images
    That whole Stinking Ass Country was a Bea Cou Dog Patch

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Was in 5th Service Battalion, Maintenance Company, Motor Transport platoon. Our base actually bordered Dog Patch. We viewed it as so safe that we even went there without our weapon. A bad idea, in retrospect, as I think that is where that PVT was captured who ended up in Hawaii a decade later and faced court martial for conspiracy or conspiring with the Viet Cong. Robert....? Can't remember last name. From Shelbyville, Indiana. Anybody? Ate in Dog Patch a lot as mess hall food sucked. Had rice a zillion ways. Never asked what else was in it though. =-) Stayed away from the poon tang though as one of the guys in our Company had contracted some form of venereal disease that was resistant to all antibiotics at the time. They wouldn't let him return state side. Talk about a bad attitude.

If I remember they called it the Black Sift.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Just remembered. It was Robert Garwood who was captured in Dog Patch, I think in 1967. He showed up in Hawaii in the mid 70's and was court martialed. Don't remember the result of the court martial though. There even was a mini series about it in the late 70's, I think.

Hmmm....only remember hearing of Dogpatch.

Anyone have an aerial view map of Dogpatch?
    I'm curious where it's located with respect to the Da Nang area.

Sometime summer of 1966 I spent 2 days R&R at China Beach buying perfume for the Vietnamese ladies and eating hamburgers at some small military facility right on/near the beach IIRC?
    Maybe someone can refresh my memory on that tidbit also?

Found this link: http://ronniefoster.com/ronnie%20page/da_nang.htm
    .....in case it refreshes anyone's memories.

Feliz Viernes...

All you old farts here are making me feel my age. LOL I remember that sh*t hole and how nasty it looked and smelled. And when you got past and went up close to Freedom Hill all the white jeeps that wanted to take you on skivvy runs into DaNang.

Quote Originally Posted by jagger View Post
    Just remembered. It was Robert Garwood who was captured in Dog Patch, I think in 1967. He showed up in Hawaii in the mid 70's and was court martialed. Don't remember the result of the court martial though. There even was a mini series about it in the late 70's, I think.

Bobby GarwoodFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (Redirected from Robert Garwood)
    Jump to: navigation, search
    Robert Russell Garwood (born 1 April 1946 in Greensburg, Indiana) is a controversial former Vietnam War prisoner of war. Garwood was a United States Marine Corps Private First Class[1] when he was captured on September 28, 1965 at DaNang, in Quang Nam province during the Vietnam War. Often cited as the last American POW from the Vietnam War, he was taken to North Vietnam in 1969, and reportedly released in 1973 along with all other American POWs, but did not return to the United States until March 22, 1979.[1] He is listed either as having volunteered or been forced into a work group repairing a generator at Lien Trai I, one of the Yen Bai reeducation camps in Hoang Lien San Province in northern Vietnam.[2] Other reports describe him as working at an unnamed "island fortress" in Thac Ba, North Vietnam,[1] or having been kept behind in mainland labour camps[3] as a driver and vehicle mechanic.[4] Garwood was considered by the Department of Defense to have acted as a collaborator with the enemy.[1] In 1998, the Department of Defense changed his status from RETURNEE to AWOL/Deserter/Collaborator.[5]

Garwood denies the charges of collaboration. He accuses the Department of Defense of trying to rewrite history to make him seem like a liar to downplay his 1984 claims that he had seen other POWs "left behind" after 1973 and that he had been held prisoner for 14 years,[5] though there are inconsistencies in his story.[6] Many former POWs claim to have witnessed Garwood apparently collaborating with the enemy,[4] though most say he should not have been court martialed.[7] Nevertheless, the Marine Corps convicted Garwood of collaboration, reducing him in rank to private and dishonorably discharging him. He forfeited all back pay.

In June 1992, a U.S. task force examined the sites where Garwood claimed to have seen live U.S. prisoners, interviewed nearby residents, and met with Vietnamese officials, but reported "no evidence could be found to suggest that there are, or ever were, any live U.S. POWs" there.[1]

Contents [hide]
    1 Military service and capture
    2 BBC Interview
    3 The D.I.A
    4 The Last P.O.W.? The Bobby Garwood Story (1992) (TV)
    5 Books about Bobby Garwood
    6 References

[edit] Military service and captureGarwood was assigned to the Marine base at DaNang in South Vietnam as a motor-pool driver. On 28 September 1965, he was found absent at the 2300 hours bed check. No unauthorized absence (UA) was reported because Garwood was thought to have had a "late run." He was reported UA after he failed to report for muster at 0730 hours on the 29th.[1]

On 29 September, the Division Provost Marshal was notified of Garwood's absence and an all points bulletin was issued for him and his missing vehicle. This bulletin was repeated for three days with no results. Personnel from the motor pool searched areas of Da Nang that Garwood was known to frequent but no leads were uncovered. On 2 October, the division's provost marshal contacted the Republic of Vietnam's Military Security Services. Their search efforts also produced no information regarding Garwood.

As these investigations proceeded, Garwood's commanding officer reported to the Commandant, USMC, that, in view of Garwood's past record of UA, it was his opinion that Garwood was possibly UA and this UA could have resulted in Garwood being taken POW. Because of the lack of any evidence of Garwood's capture, however, the CO recommended that there be no change in Garwood's status and that he remain UA until evidence to the contrary proved otherwise.

Two separate Vietnamese agents reported that the Viet Cong (VC) claimed that a US serviceman and his jeep had been picked up in the Cam Hai region, approximately 11.5 miles from the DaNang base, after the serviceman had become lost. The American had been captured and the jeep burned. A ground and aerial search for the burned vehicle produced no results, as did four platoon search operations on 1 October. Two additional platoons swept the area in the vicinity of Marble Mountain the next morning but found nothing.

On 12 October, the 704th ITC Det (CI) authorized the offer of a 100,000 $VN reward for information leading to the successful recovery of the missing serviceman and additional 2,500 $VN for the recovery of his vehicle.

On 3 December 1965, India Company, 3rd Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment found a document entitled Fellow Soldier's Appeal with Garwood's name on it, on a gate near DaNan. The document recommended, among other things, that US troops stop fighting in Vietnam and return home. The signature (B. Garwood) may well have been made by a rubber stamp and the English usage in the letter suggests that it was not written entirely by a native English speaker. A second version of this document was found on 18 July 1966 in the DaNang area, but it appeared to be on better quality paper and the signature was at a different angle.

In view of this information, Pvt. Garwood's status was changed from "missing" to "presumed captured" on 17 December 1965.[1][8]

[edit] BBC InterviewIn 1981 Garwood was interviewed by the BBC; a summary of that interview is available here.[9]

[edit] The D.I.AThe Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA), which called Garwood a "stay-behind,"[1] reported it could not locate any masonry structures where Garwood claims he saw live American POWs after 1973 at a motel-shaped masonry building in North Vietnam. Senator Bob Smith requested the DIA search again. When a second search produced no results, Smith, ABC News, Garwood, and Hendon traveled to Vietnam. Following Garwood's directions, they reported that they found a building just as Garwood had described. The Vietnamese government and a former head of the DIA POW/MIA office[10] angrily disputed the finding, insisting the structure had not existed when Garwood was a POW.

[edit] The Last P.O.W.? The Bobby Garwood Story (1992) (TV)A made-for-TV film starring Ralph Macchio and Martin Sheen was released in 1992. The real Garwood, whose role Macchio portrayed in the production, was a consultant to the film's producers, according to which Garwood had been ordered to survive by one of his superiors, who was also a captive of the North Vietnamese.

[edit] Books about Bobby GarwoodConversations With The Enemy - The Story of PFC Robert Garwood, 1983 by Winston Groom with Duncan Spencer. Groom, a Vietnam veteran, also authored the novel Forrest Gump.

Kiss the Boys Goodbye, 1990 by Monika Jensen-Stevenson, a producer for CBS's "60 Minutes" in 1985. The book begins with a segment she produced on Garwood.

Spite House, 1997 by Monika Jensen-Stevenson, gives a detailed account of one of Lt. Colonel McKenny's commando team's attempt to kill Garwood in a North Vietnamese jungle camp for collaborating with the enemy, and of McKenney's conversion from a would-be assassin into a believer in Garwood's innocence.

[edit] References1.^ a b c d e f g h Defense Intelligence Agency (1993-06). "The Case of Pvt. Robert R. Garwood, USMC". U.S. Department of Defense. http://www.dod.gov/pubs/foi/reading_room/659.pdf. Retrieved 2010-09-12.
    2.^ Defense Intelligence Agency. "Sighting of Robert Garwood". Library of Congress. http://lcweb2.loc.gov/frd/pwmia/53/20771.pdf. Retrieved 2010-09-12.
    3.^ Joseph Schlatter. "Smith & Garwood, 1993". Miafacts.org. http://www.miafacts.org/islefort.htm. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
    4.^ a b "InterNetwork". Aii Pow-Mia. 1998-03-08. http://www.aiipowmia.com/inter/inantonres3998.html. Retrieved 2010-05-27. [dead link]
    5.^ a b "Bio, Garwood, Robert R". pownetwork.org. http://www.pownetwork.org/bios/g/g047.htm.
    6.^ "Thach Ba". Miafacts.org. http://www.miafacts.org/thachba.htm. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
    7.^ "Nation: The Last P.O.W.". TIME. 1979-04-09. http://www.time.com/time/magazine/ar...920202,00.html. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
    8.^ "The Strange Case of PFC Robert Garwood". 3rdmarines.net. http://www.3rdmarines.net/Garwood_intro.htm. Retrieved 2010-09-12.
    9.^ "PFC Robert Garwood Story Summary". 3rdmarines.net. http://www.3rdmarines.net/Garwood_Summary.htm. Retrieved 2010-05-27.
    10.^ Smith & Garwood, 1993
    Groom, Winston, with Duncan Spencer, Conversations with the Enemy, Putnam, 1

the only Dog Patch i remember was a place in hillbilly country that had L'l Abner and Daisy Mae does that sound familiar to ya

1965 / 66 the missing - let us not for get

In 1965 / 66 period there where three marines taken by the VC / South Vietnamese / or by mysterious reasons associated with South Vietnamese, i.e WAYNE GILMORE SCHWARTZ
    1.) WAYNE GILMORE SCHWARTZ
    SSGT - E6 - Marine Corps - Regular

Length of service 12 years
    Casualty was on May 15, 1965
    In QUANG NAM, SOUTH VIETNAM
    Non-Hostile, died of illness/injury, GROUND CASUALTY
    ACCIDENTAL SELF-DESTRUCTION
    Body was recovered

Panel 01E - Line 115

2.) Robert Garwood;
    3.) And the third I cannot recall his name, but as I reflect he was ambushed near Marble mountain as he drove by himself in a jeep and he was KIA.

One of these men you listed as captured there is Robert Garwood.
    After reading several books on this matter and doing much research on him, before, during and after his capture, my conclusion is that he is a traitor to the Marine Corps and to our nation. Because of his crimes, during war, while a member of the United States armed forces, he should have been sent to prison for life or appropriately dealt with permanently, in my opinion.
    Semper Fi, Scott

I tried to find it with Google Earth, but the clouds obscure some of the area. It’s just west of the airstrip, along the highway that runs north and south, west side of the road. I was looking for 1st MAW MWGH-1's parade field, but it's changed so much I'm not sure. Dog patch was just outside our perimeter fence.
    In case you guys missed my previous post, you can see photos of it here:
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2632

Quote Originally Posted by jamielang1951 View Post
    I tried to find it with Google Earth, but the clouds obscure some of the area. It’s just west of the airstrip, along the highway that runs north and south, west side of the road. I was looking for 1st MAW MWGH-1's parade field, but it's changed so much I'm not sure. Dog patch was just outside our perimeter fence.
    In case you guys missed my previous post, you can see photos of it here:
    http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2632
    I think I screwed up that link, so just copy/paste it to your address bar.

I would like to see a picture of Robert Garwood as he looked like in 1965.

Thread Information