Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 25
Create Post
Page 25 of 33 FirstFirst ... 15212223242526272829 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by BVD View Post
    Bravo Bty 1st LAAM was on Monkey Mountain, Charley Btry was on Freedom Hill (327), Echo Btry was on hill 55,and H&S was on the freedom hill side of the Danang air strip.
    Interesting ... were they ever used?

Bravo Battery fired on a returning R&R plane once we were all tracking while I was there all enemy Aircraft would be tracked but would turn around

Dog Patch and HAWK Missiles

During the year of 1964 "B" battery was the test to examine if the Marine Corps or the Army was to defend South Vietnam in the event we inter the conflict, or so we were informed. The Marine Corps had a safety record of very few friendly shoot downs during WWII, under 10, while the other service held many many more. At one point very early on the parade field a member of Alpha Battery referred to us as "Bunny" Battery. Over the next year of extensive training and War games we never lost a single game without help from reviewers. We went through a seven day no sleep game, games against mixed army, navy, SEALs, air force units. In July of 1965 on LST Tom Green County and through the Super Typhoon "Freda" "B" arrive on Red beach in Danang Vietnam. While we never launched our missiles in defense our Batteries did practice ground to air defense against any and all aircraft and no aircraft were shot down. "B" launch was done by electronic malfunction due to faulty diodes, not operations performance, and the two HAWK missiles were detonated approximately over the main PX in Danang. Note: the aircraft under surveillance was out of Hong Kong, flying a path near that a North Vietnamese aircraft would use and with a signature of a enemy bomber, further it was off course and non responsive. Fortunately, the two "kill signals" worked and the HAWKs detonated, and later workers at the PX informed me much of the inventories on the selves were knocked onto the floor. Actual combat: In 1968 on Hill 327 "C" Battery was over-run by a small hostile force and a marine was killed, missiles were randomly launched by explosives. Later (1969) Hill 327 was attacked a few more times and finally "Puff the Magic dragon" with its machine guns was used to settle one engagement. I believe in that action the Marine Band was actually hit as they had their quarters at the foot of the Hill. The Marine flute player was killed and the VC lost many. >>

That is more detailed info than I wanted to wright but i said fired on a r&r jet not downed a R&R jet. I do thank you for the details as all we knew was that a R&R jet was fired upon and the Hawk was destroyed before impact, I also worked the Radio Relay site that shot was to hill 327 and then down to Danang.

I am not writing a history reflection of that period, but many have asked me for that accounting, I sit on the "BCC" low level radar on Monkey mountain, and while as a messenger I typed and drove the message from H&S Battery to Division HQ that was sent to Congress concerning that missile mishap, my initials therefore are on that document, and the captain of "B" Battery was my previous CO. That equipment went through three days of a super typhoon aboard the LST Tom Green County in July of 1964, i do not what if any influence that had on the electronics. I have read in recent years that HAWK missiles had another unwanted missile launch.

Thanks for the information we were never given all of the details.

Thanks for the details, I remember hearing about that. Of course the version I heard was much more colorful ... funny how scuttlebutt tends to embellish things.
    Nice to hear, even at this late date, what really happened.

Are you related to Gunny Sgt Dallis Starr?

Ahhhhhh, I remember it well! I was with the MWSG-17 Fire Dept 67 to 68 and again 69 to 70, which became the MAG-11 Fire Dept in May of 70! We were on the perimeter of "Dog Patch" about a half mile east of the entrance to the base at 4 corners! Had kids lob chicomm grenades across the perimeter fence at us on several occasions! Most were duds, but we wanted to blow their ass away anyway!! I was there for the B-52 crash (the tail gunner was the only survior and we rescued him) and the VNAF bomb dump explosion on July 15th 1967! We were on our way to fight the fire at the dump when our boss got a bad felling and stopped our fire fighting trucks at the exit from the MAG-11 Motor T compound when it went up! He saved our asses that night! We fought several fires in Dog Patch after rocket attacks and VC excursions, and on more than one occasion received hostile fire while trying to fight the fires! I got one for you if you really are a "Dog Patch and 4 Corners" commando! Does anyone remember the 155 they put at the gate for about 2 months, and had nightly fire missions into Asah Valley? I sure do! A 155 firing from less than a half mile away, keeps you awake at nights!! Another one for the memory books! Does anyone remember the fire at the PX at Freedom Hill? Was there and fought that fire too!! Semper Fi Brothers!!

Vern98, I think you need to get your facts right! A B-52 that had an emergency from damage received while on a mission over North Vietnam, tried to make an emergency landing at DaNang, and ran off the RW into the minefield at the end of the RW! The tailgunner was the only survivor from the B-52 crew! I was on the crew from the MWSG-17 Fire Dept that responded in a 530-B Fire Truck along with several Crash Trucks from the Air Force Crash Crew!! I was also on the crew that responded to the C-141/A-6 collision! The fire and explosions kept us away and we had to let it burn!!

The B-52 Crash was 8 July I believe and a week later on the 15th DaNang got rocketed and that's when the VNAF Bomb Dump went up! It was a busy week for the MWSG-17 FD!!

Quote Originally Posted by greensideout View Post
    Are you related to Gunny Sgt Dallis Starr?
    Not as far as I know!
    Semper FI

Hey Dave - a very personal question

Why or what made you decide to go back there to visit?

For me - I would never even consider the thought of it.

Semper Fi Brother,

jim

Quote Originally Posted by DaveMarine View Post
    I do. It was the vill below Hill 317. In fact I was just there in March. It has CHANGED, very nice homes all with address plaques, paved street.lights, etc.

Spent 2 weeks in RVN, Khe Sanh, DaNang, An Hoa, Hoa An, Chu Lai, Hue, Phu bai, Con Thien, Gio Linh, cam Lo, Street W/O Joy, Mai Loc, Hia Lang Pass, Rockpile, Route 9, Camp carroll, camp Evans, dong Ha, Quang Tri, Hills 10, 25, 37, 41, 52,
    55, 65, China Beach,, Red Beach, Hanoi, Marble MT, libertty Bridge, Antenna valley, Arizona Territory, Hue, Ho Che Minh Trail, a Shau valley, Lang Vei,

I got dirt from each location.

I plan to return in 2010 and future years to remember and commerate. If anyone is interested in returning please let me know.

Dave Schiel
    dapasc@imonmail.com

Good luck with your cancer battle Marine , As for me I never want to see that place again.

Quote Originally Posted by macmarine7051 View Post
    Ahhhhhh, I remember it well! I was with the MWSG-17 Fire Dept 67 to 68 and again 69 to 70, which became the MAG-11 Fire Dept in May of 70! We were on the perimeter of "Dog Patch" about a half mile east of the entrance to the base at 4 corners! Had kids lob chicomm grenades across the perimeter fence at us on several occasions! Most were duds, but we wanted to blow their ass away anyway!! I was there for the B-52 crash (the tail gunner was the only survior and we rescued him) and the VNAF bomb dump explosion on July 15th 1967! We were on our way to fight the fire at the dump when our boss got a bad felling and stopped our fire fighting trucks at the exit from the MAG-11 Motor T compound when it went up! He saved our asses that night! We fought several fires in Dog Patch after rocket attacks and VC excursions, and on more than one occasion received hostile fire while trying to fight the fires! I got one for you if you really are a "Dog Patch and 4 Corners" commando! Does anyone remember the 155 they put at the gate for about 2 months, and had nightly fire missions into Asah Valley? I sure do! A 155 firing from less than a half mile away, keeps you awake at nights!! Another one for the memory books! Does anyone remember the fire at the PX at Freedom Hill? Was there and fought that fire too!! Semper Fi Brothers!!
    ....I was there Top Playing Corpsman-Many Firemen had Smoke Inhalation and Needed Oxygen from the Little Green Oxygen Tanks -We Brought.I remember that there were alot of Fire Trucks there-I wrote something about this 327-Hill Fire Some where on Here.I remember tending several Fire Fighters....One of the problems was that-Firemen that entered the Px-opened bottles of Good Booze-and before leaving-the bottles were tossed on the floor and or caught fire because they were Flammable.I Do Remember the Fire Departments There-Did Put Out That Fire.The Px-was Restored and Opened very Quickly After.I and my Fellow Corpsman Friends-were dragging Firemen on their feet to a Safe Area,in front of the Big Red Flashing Trucks Giving Oxygen attached to Oxygen Masks-not Tubing.There were atleast 5 or 6 Fire Companies there and many Fire Trucks-More Than I ever Saw in Nam before or after-Does this Tale Jive with your Participation Top? It was very Exciting-also aware that there might be Sappers in the Area-If I'm Lying I'm Deserving to Be Dying.Glad you made it out of Nam-Two Tours -Your A Great Marine and Firemen.I remember this like it was Yesterday-Aw-out.

Thread Information