Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 24
Create Post
Page 24 of 33 FirstFirst ... 14202122232425262728 ... LastLast
    Was there in 65/66,had lots of time off there in Dogpatch, Seen a jeep loaded with QC's, stopped and tossed a local (or not so local the way he was treated on being tossed in the back of the jeep) and gave him a good what for. Many old memories left there,

Cool old memories of Dog Patch

Was there in 65/66,had liberty in Dogpatch, Seen a jeep loaded with QC's, stopped and tossed a local (or not so local the way he was treated on being tossed in the back of the jeep) and gave him a good what for.

I Was With Tango Security, 1stmaw 1/66 - Till About 7/66 Till They Sent Me Tad To Mag 36 In Chulai For Operation Colorado. At That Time Dogpatch Was Not Off Limits. I Lived In The Old French Barracks Accross The Street From Dogpatch.

I drove by Dog Patch a few times. As I remember, it sat on the intersection of Rt 1, and the road to/from 1st Mar Div HQ on the north side of the base. There was a hand written sign on the corner with "Dog Patch" and "off limits" on it..

Looking at those run down shacks and the old, leather faced mamasans with their mouths stained black from chewing beetle-nut, there was no way I was going to stick my "pride and joy" into any of them! I was freaked by the stories of the black clap, too. Just the look of the place shouted VC, anyway.

There was a "steam and cream" on an Army base right where you turned off RT 1 to go to 5th Comm HQ, that I frequented. Marble Mountain Mag 16, was maybe another mile or two south of there. The girls were clean and they were supposedly checked for diseases by the Army, too.

I was always intrigued by the black Vietnamese hookers that you'd see around the cafes in Da Nang. They were decendants of African servants that the French had imported from their African colonies. They looked just like black American women, complete with afro's and miniskirts, but were culturally Vietnamese. Spoke Vietnamese, and broken English with a Vietnamese accent. It was weird, but they were a lot of fun. There were a couple cafes on RT 1 outside the airbase that had several of them. I'd stop off for a coke now and then

Those mamasons had babysons! From where I spent most of my time what was another VC or two. I guess part of the thrill was were you going to get a knife in your back.

Once again, from where I had been and was going back to it just seemed the thing to do at the time, ahhhhh, the memories.

Besides, they said I was #1.

Last edited by advanced; 01-19-11 at 02:23 PM. Reason: forgot something

Quote Originally Posted by advanced View Post
    Besides, they said I was #1.
    Weren't we all?

Synthesis benzene 2-propanol technology
    yhuj163@163.com

I have some photos of Dog Patch, it's the one with the tank, and in the background of the one of my friends. I was with 1st MAW MWHG-1 MWCS-1. I have many more I need to scan.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/al...p?albumid=2632

Quote Originally Posted by jamielang1951 View Post
    I have some photos of Dog Patch, it's the one with the tank, and in the background of the one of my friends. I was with 1st MAW MWHG-1 MWCS-1. I have many more I need to scan.

http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/al...p?albumid=2632
    Some good pics there Jamie! I recall many of those views.
    Semper Fi!

Thumbs up OH Yeahhhhhh...I remember dogpatch.....

We used to make runs there some evenings so we could get in a little relaxation, if you know what I mean! We always had cigs & a pocket full of tube steak protectors. We used those 2 at a time! lol....I'm surprised we're still alive, & never got busted.
    You know that us avaitors are just as, if not more, crazy than anyone else, with the exception of Force Recon - whom I tip my hat to.

Quote Originally Posted by jinelson View Post
    Dog Patch was a ville just on the outside of Danang to the north almost at the foot of Hill-327 about a click out and was a popular venue for skivie runs. Of course it was off limits to all Marines and all other American personnel. As a 3531 I went through there from FLC to IstMAW and 1stMARDIV HQ's many times during the course of a tour. The baby sanhs were so friendly down that way and the MP's and QC's were there in abundance and not at all friendly. Anyone out there have any pleasant or otherwise memories to share about this quant hamlet? How about four corners? Lets hear about it answer up.

Sempers
    Jim

Speaking Of Dog Patch-I knew a few people that lost a stripe for getting caught out there.There was this Corpsman from Wer-17 by the metal huts-that replaced a Corpsman there.He got caught-not enough training in Recon-That was a hot place-with the Nva and Viet-Cong there.Any way Just want to say -If you came to the MWSG-17 Dispensary and had some thing-I would have been glad to shot you up with 2.4 million units of Procaine Penicillin and or two weeks of Oxytetriclycline with the Pill-Probenimid -to protect your kidneys-Had tons of Penicillin there-you could depend on Me................Semper FI..............................

OOOh Yeah! I remember good old dog patch, espesicially the mommasans! That's were we use to get the best weed available.

Happy memories
    Today I am 65 years old and I can remember MCRD San Diego, the reasons I choose to extent my service in the regular Marine Corps and go to Vietnam with 1st Light Anti Air Craft Missile Battalion "B" Battery, President Lynden Johnson ordered our Battalion into Vietnam in February 1965 to show the North Vietnamese the USA was politically serious and the USA build-up started. At that time I was 18 years old and a L / Cpl in a communication squad, and later to become a single field messenger in the greater DaNang area.

Quote Originally Posted by Williamwfh View Post
    Happy memories
    Today I am 65 years old and I can remember MCRD San Diego, the reasons I choose to extent my service in the regular Marine Corps and go to Vietnam with 1st Light Anti Air Craft Missile Battalion "B" Battery, President Lynden Johnson ordered our Battalion into Vietnam in February 1965 to show the North Vietnamese the USA was politically serious and the USA build-up started. At that time I was 18 years old and a L / Cpl in a communication squad, and later to become a single field messenger in the greater DaNang area.
    Happy Birthday!

Yes, memories of days gone ... but dogpatch was a place I just drove by.

You guys were the missile battery up on Monkey Mountain, right? ... 5th Comm had a trac97 up there.

Bravo Bty 1st LAAM was on Monkey Mountain, Charley Btry was on Freedom Hill (327), Echo Btry was on hill 55,and H&S was on the freedom hill side of the Danang air strip.

Thread Information