Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 22
Create Post
Page 22 of 33 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jinelson View Post
    Its been five years since I posted this thread and I am truly amazed its still going and all the bro's that walked where I did. Welcome home Marines.

OORAH!!!

Jim
    You done good
    Semper FI

Quote Originally Posted by LarryStarr View Post
    As many times as I drove it, I must admit that I recognize little of that. It does appear that the roads have gotten worse though. Most of the rest of it seems to have cleaned up quite a bit ... hard to recognize the traffic patterns without 40 or 50 Scosh Carts in view at any given time
    Had the same feeling. I was with HQ First MAW. Our last row of barracks (the old French barracks) was along the fence line with Dog Patch, and the ARVN artty unit was next door. I was located along the fence next to the artty unit. I remember the road as a single lane, but that was 40 years ago. When you got to the end, you turned right to go to Freedom Hill just like in the video...except I remember a steep hill where the transit station was...we came in and left through it. When I arrived in '69, it had been blown flat shortly before we arrived when the Ammo Dump went up. When I was leaving, we watched a movie on an outdoor screen. We went up some more and came to the Freedom Hill Red Cross Center and over a bit was the threater and PX. I didn't see anything after the right turn that reminded me of Freedom Hill at all.

PS - Thanks for the link. I will watch some more of the videos later and that is a Dog Patch scene in my signature. I am standing on the backside of our "French" barracks.

I was with H&MS - 11 late 66 all of 67, Dogpatch was just across the wire from our hootch area, also, I walked the guard post at end of Da Nang runway near Dogpatch Dec 66.

Yellow Wing, thank you for the memories

Quote Originally Posted by yellowwing View Post
    Is this any good?

Take a Ride Through Da Nang, Vietnam: Dog Patch to Freedom Hill
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svFXa...eature=related
    Yellowing, I enjoyed your video production “ thans for the memories.
    > >
    The building in Dog Patch appear different now than they did in 1965 / 66. I did not see the hut all built of aluminum I think it was “ Budweiser ” beer cans. I looked for but did not see Mamasan’s business that did our laundry and from time to time she would feed me my late after noon lunch. The road is still rough and bumpy and as you drove I found myself looking for signs of bobby traps (IEDs).

Quote Originally Posted by William Hardy View Post
    Had the same feeling. I was with HQ First MAW. Our last row of barracks (the old French barracks) was along the fence line with Dog Patch, and the ARVN artty unit was next door. I was located along the fence next to the artty unit. I remember the road as a single lane, but that was 40 years ago. When you got to the end, you turned right to go to Freedom Hill just like in the video...except I remember a steep hill where the transit station was...we came in and left through it. When I arrived in '69, it had been blown flat shortly before we arrived when the Ammo Dump went up. When I was leaving, we watched a movie on an outdoor screen. We went up some more and came to the Freedom Hill Red Cross Center and over a bit was the threater and PX. I didn't see anything after the right turn that reminded me of Freedom Hill at all.
    I was on the other side of the valley, 11th motors, just below Dai Loc pass, across the valley from 1St Mar Div, in 70 and 71.

Amazing how much things change, but still look, vaguely, familiar.
    I checked out another one, of those videos, the one that went up to the CG'z LZ at 1st Mar Div. I drove that road, several times a week for a time, making runs to the ridge overlooking AZ Territory, to pick up trash and give the guys a ride down to the chow hall. It was a steep, winding road, but my 5-ton fit on it. I could recognize a couple of landmarks on the video, but not much, and they guy's scooter barely fit on the trail most of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFi67 View Post
    I was at 1st FSR MTM, from August 67-May 69. Was with Clutch Platoon, 3rd Provisional Rifle Platoon (company). Later I drove for the battalion Chaplain. Anyone serving there during that time give me a shout. Dogpatch was right outside our perimeter and across the road. This thread brings back many memories.
    Semper Fi
    I was there at the same time worked in light shop lot of good times

Our Battalion Chaplain had a female Vietnamese interpreter who went by the nick name of “Cherry.” She studied in lace Coloradolace, did you happen to meet her?

Quote Originally Posted by William Hardy View Post
    ... I was with HQ First MAW. Our last row of barracks (the old French barracks) was along the fence line with Dog Patch, and the ARVN artty unit was next door. I was located along the fence next to the artty unit....
    Hi Will, I was also in 1st MAW HQ Group from February, 1969 through March 1970, I was Radio Relay Repairman with Radio Relay Central. I was in the third Hooch along the fence line from the Guard Gate. If I remember correctly the head and shower was in the middle of the row behind the mess hall which right across from the E club. Also, there was a little store next to the PX, where I used to get Dad's Root Beer, never had before until then.

Radio Relay Central (next to the Helicopter LZ) was having a Picnic on the day the Ammo Dump blew up. We had to stand Guard Duty that night because they were concern that VC would see it as an opportunity. Also, I remember standing Guard Duty on Christmas Eve because the General was having a Christmas Party for all the officers and nurses in DaNang.

I believe we could draw a map of the base from our memories.

Couldnt resist it

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Palmer View Post
    Couldnt resist it

Na ... the building materials are too upscale

I was with 1/5 on our way to in country RR and one of the guys throw a fire grenade and started a hutch on fire. Almost did not go to RED Beach

When I was at MWSG-17-from Sept68to Aug69-There was no Liberty to Dog Patch-If you got caught out there-you lost a stripe.That's how
    I remember it.The Corpsman In Wers-by those metal-quenset huts-I don't remeber his name.He lost a stripe for that reason. I was only out there to go to the 327Hill -Px -or to bring some Marines to First-Med to be treated.That's it. I heard When Bob Hope Played Danang-They let the Marines walk back through Dogpatch-to their areas in the 1st Marine-Airwing.I remember there was a big fire on the 327-Hill-PX.I was assigned to help the Fireman-from the Fire Engine Companies.Many of them got Smoke Inhillation-A little Oxyigen helped them out.Some were a little over zealous-why-because when they were in the Px-putting out the fire,they were opening the best bottles of booze-and drinking it -in the burning building.Then these bottles were thrown on the floor-Alcohol is Flamable-(DA)-thus making the fire worse.I never saw Bob-Hope-I stood by for Riot Control.Fortunetly nothing occured -but it was supposed to.Something about Combat Marines-getting better seats to see Bob Hope.First Med's a Real trip.A Real Emergency-Trauma Hospital.My Fellow Corpsman And I helped out there many times.I rember the first time I was There and totally-in Shock.There were body parts-I wasn't used to that yet.A Corpsman saw That I was about to faint-He told me to sit down-and gave me a sandwich to eat.He told me not to think of blood as blood but as body-oil-like from an engine.Believe it or not-this really helped-I did much better when I had to go there-and see incoming causualties and worse.God Bless those People at First-Med-they saved alot of lives.One Time Dr.Crash Johnson-had Gastritis-very painful-stomach-with spasm and contraction.We used to have this pill that worked directly on the Vegas Nerve-but I cant remember the name of it right now.Anyway -Dr.Johnson was given some Morphine and blood volume expander-I.V.-When Us -Corpsman went to see how he was doing;his Iv-was empty-and his arm was infiltrated.We-got a little angry and took over the place-and made sure-Dr.Johnson was treated in a more viewing area.This made us mad-but We realized that First Med-was a busy place.Sometimes you had to stay and work there for a while.That's where the real-stuff was.Any way I see I have a habit of rambling on-and making very long letters.I think of these things while I'm writting down these other thoughts.I have many stories and I don't want to tell them all at once...I wish some other Corpsman would be on here to confirm-what I have said-from Mwsg-17

i

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Layman View Post
    Was at MAG11, VMCJ 1 from Oct 1967 to Oct 1969, went through Dogpatch a bunch of times. Kind of brings chills sometimes thinking of those days. China Beach, Hill 327, Monkey Mountain, Bob Hope Show, R&R to Bankok, Japan, and a few other places. Yea the dump blew up , there were some not real fun times & the Air Force blew out of town a few times too when things looked a little spooky but we also had some really good times too.

SEMPER FI
    There was a Corpsman named George Wilson at Mag-11,Do you remember him.He looked like Tom Cruse-before there was a Tom Cruse......He was in My Corpsman School class -I think it was .Corpsman Class #48-at the Great lakes.Anyway we were on the plane to Okinowa-and it was his birthday.The Stewardess on the plane gave him a cupcake with one candle in it.We all sang happy birthday.That was nice.

I loved going to Dog Patch. Had many short times there.

I remember Dog Patch Too

Quote Originally Posted by sifupr View Post
    I loved going to Dog Patch. Had many short times there.
    Those annoying -little kids-I know what you mean-ONE TIME THERE WAS THIS CRAZY GUY -FROM BROOKLYN,N.Y.-He had a black-opium problem.His 16 -accidentally discharged -went through one of these girls heads-one night-I think he got twenty years-I never went back to Dog Patch After That.It was a good place to play Recon.I had a Spanish Friend-He was in some House-somewhere-and MP's broke in-He acted like he was-Vietnamese-and actually got away with it.What a character .

Thread Information