Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 17
Create Post
Page 17 of 33 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    Mile thanks for the pictures. Brings back memories.
    Semper Fi Redman1

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    JEEEEZ!!! Those pictures got me all wound-up!! Couldn't post here, till I got over it!....DOC

Dogpatch

I was with Mike Dybus on Hill 327 back in 66. Went through Dogpatch more times than I can remember, especcially going down for chow 3 times a day til our mess hall was built. That was it though, never ventured there for anything else!

I was there 8 Mos. in 66 & 9 Mos. in 67. Does anyone remember two girls & a boy that worked in their family hut by the name of Lee, Home, or Baa. (Probably spelled wrong) Their Dad was counterintelligence for the Vietnamese. Good people. I went to their school & paid for it till they graduated. At that time there was only huts on one side of the road. Like the pics. Brings back a lot of memories.

son of a ***** can you smell it?

bootlace15 out

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    EVERYTIME I pass by this thread, I have picture memories jump out at me. WHY?? I only spent a few days in a Ville, and nothing happened, but guess I was on edge while there. Feel bad, for the "GOOD" Vietnamese...they deserved better.....DOC

Quote Originally Posted by joeycap52 View Post
    I was with Mike Dybus on Hill 327 back in 66. Went through Dogpatch more times than I can remember, especcially going down for chow 3 times a day til our mess hall was built. That was it though, never ventured there for anything else!
    Same, same. Dybus and me were buddies at ASP-1. I recall copping some goof-off time once or twice, and even managed to have a few beers and Get laid (once) in Dogpatch, before it went off limits around May or June of 66.
    I remember being in country only a couple of weeks before I decided I was real glad not to be humping a ruck, but had a lot of respect for the guy's who did.

Does anyone remember Gary Thacker. He was in supply on 327 in 67. I traded him a go cart that I made in MCB 1 shop.

[QUOTE]son of a ***** can you smell it?

bootlace15 out/QUOTE]

One of my Biggest surprises was the lack of that smell! Every once in a while you get a whiff that is perhaps 10% of what it used to be but only a whiff and then it's gone.

[QUOTE]Feel bad, for the "GOOD" Vietnamese...they deserved better.....DOC/QUOTE]

I honestly believe Doc that the people are doing better under this regime.
    Each and every person I saw in my two weeks around Da Nang and Hue seemed to me Happy and enterprising. Not in the least suppressed.

[QUOTE]son of a ***** can you smell it?

bootlace15 out/QUOTE]

One of my Biggest surprises was the lack of that smell! Every once in a while you get a whiff that is perhaps 10% of what it used to be but only a whiff and then it's gone.

Feel bad, for the "GOOD" Vietnamese...they deserved better.....DOC/QUOTE]

I honestly believe Doc that the people are doing better under this regime.
    Each and every person I saw in my two weeks around Da Nang and Hue seemed to me Happy and enterprising. Not in the least suppressed.

[QUOTE=Mike Dybus;505258]
    son of a ***** can you smell it?

bootlace15 out/QUOTE]

Corpsman Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    MIKE....I can STILL smell it...especially in some screwed up dreams!!....BUT the smell of dead, and dying over powers EVERYTHING!....GOD help us, ALL.....DOC

Dog Patch - VMCJ-1

Quote Originally Posted by glock9mm View Post
    I was with VMCJ-1 in '66 & "67. I think we were right next door to you guys on the flight line. Some of your launch guys used to come over to shoot the **** and help launch our birds.
    SEMPER FI

I noticed your older post. I was in VMCJ-1 from July ' 67 - just in time for the bomb dump to go off. I was in Hydraulics.

MARINEKANSAS
    I was in VMFA-122 from July 67 (advance party) we were between H&MS-11 and VMCJ-1. I also was a bubblechaser and missed being in the Sept 66 cadre from VMCJ-3 by a few days. When were you in A school in Memphis? You must have been in the class ahead of me as I left for El Toro Easter Sunday 66. What is your name as I might know you as we exchanged a lot of parts.

I think I was maybe behind you. I went in Oct 1965. I was in the Hydraulics shop in VMCJ-3 to start after AIT and Memphis etc. - some time Spring 66.

Remember there were two guys - 1 an E-5 and the other maybe an E-4 who were extended and were in there fifth year?
    Bitter - bitter - BITTER people. But I learned a lot from them.

I do remember the VMCJ-3 major rotation of equipment and pilots to Nam. I went down to Diego to help load the equipment on the LST. If you did - you will surely remember that the ship had not been in service since Korea! I could not remember when it was. I just remembered I was not in squadron long enough to be sent.

I rotated to Nam in July ' 67 just in time for the bomb dump surprise. I spent my year there and then reupped for the 2nd tour and went to H&MS11.

How did you get from VMCJ-3 to VMFA-122?
    Us photo recon and electronics guys don't normally like to get our hands smudged with bombs and stuff.................. LOL
    My name is Rich Green
    I was from Indiana then.

Thread Information