Who Remembers Dog Patch? - Page 31
Create Post
Page 31 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2127282930313233 LastLast
    Credits
    Savings
    Images
    How about SOUL ALLEY? Der in Dog Patch where they sent 200 of Us Loaded for Bear and Snatching Up all "The Deserters"!!!

Marines Squad In Dog Patch

The Vietnamization of war order by President Nixon 1969 July included 3rd Marine Division at Dong Ha to deploy back to OKI./ or Camp Pendelton and the redirection of Marine forces in other parts of I Corp area in Vietnam.

The area nicknamed Dog Patch was part of Hoa Phat Village District which encluded Phouc Toung, Hoa An, Ninh Hoa and I believe Hoa Kanh was also part there of.

I was part of the Marine Squad assigned to Hoa An 69/70 we lived in the hamlet of Hoa An , Phouc Toung had another Marine Squad Embedded there as well.

There is little known of our activity there. The area was indeed off limits to Military Personnel except for the two squads that were there. The last Marine there was me November 30 1970. We were told to stand down about three weeks earlier, we had only daylight visits to handle last minute Concerns of the Village/Hamlet Chiefs and the next day December 1st 1970 at 0100 hrs. I departed Vietnam. Many villager freind til this day have been missed.

Hoann, I might be wrong, but I was there for a few days in Dec ,1970.I was ther at the ROKMC , S4 to turn some of our trock over to the ROC Marines.I was with Organic Motor transport at FLC , camp Books.I left in Feb 28 1971.

Marine Free Member
    Credits
    Savings
    Blog Entries
    I was taken to Red beach hosp, when Bob Hope was there alot of guys went to see him, i could not even walk at the time, but heard about dog patch stories about razor blade in rubber balls, as soon as i was able to walk i was on a chopper back to cam lo. a guy i met brought back nice camera he bought at the big PX , s/f

We had a few ROKMC passing thru Hoa An from time to time but while My squad lived in Hoa An for over 2 1/2 years (I spent most of my 20 months in country there) there was not any detachment of the Blue Dragon Brigade there (ROKMC) in our Hamlet. ROKMC HQ was just outside of Hoi An about half way between Danang and Chu Lai. You may have passed thru or been part of a operation in Hoa An area. Don't know what happened after I left. All I know was when my squad left it was to be the last embedded full time marines in this one hamlet, not saying there were not operations conducted in Our AO after we left or I left. I always wondered what happened after Dec1st 1970.

one note I do remember there was one ROKMC officer seems like he was a Major was seen several times visiting his girl friend there. Semper Fi!

I recall making a number of runs to a CAP Unit at Hoi An (I was with 11th Motors 1970-1971), was that you?

I would say yes. I can remember when Typhoon Kate came thru and destroyed alot of the only one lane road (I mean it was a squeeze for a duece and half ) that joined the other hamlets thru our area and there were several dump type trucks that brought load after load of sand/dirt from somewhere over toward Namo Bridge area to fill in the washed out road. This was around sept/oct 1970. Semper Fi.

Sorry about that! I didn't read the Village right...... you said Hoi An...... my mind registered Hoa An. That was not me or the others in my unit. Even though we were there in Hoi An several times best fish and shrimp makets in all of I Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by HoaAn6970 View Post
    I would say yes. I can remember when Typhoon Kate came thru and destroyed alot of the only one lane road (I mean it was a squeeze for a duece and half ) that joined the other hamlets thru our area and there were several dump type trucks that brought load after load of sand/dirt from somewhere over toward Namo Bridge area to fill in the washed out road. This was around sept/oct 1970. Semper Fi.
    A lot of the, so called, roads we used were ... interesting. No I'm trying to recall how I got there, We'd start out with a convoy, down Hwy 1, heading toward Baldy, or one of the firebases past there. There was a blown up shrine along the road, just before the turn, where we'd split off with 1 or 2 gun trucks, depending on how much we were hauling, and end up at the Hoi An CAP unit.

I do remember that typhoon, although you're ahead of me because I couldn't recall it's name. One of our drivers came close to losing he head, in compound, to a piece of flying roofing tin. He threw up his arms and had both forearms cut to the bone. Kind of ugly but beats having his neck cut to the bone.

Semper FI

Sorry about that! I didn't read the Village right...... you said Hoi An...... my mind registered Hoa An. That was not me or the others in my unit. Even though we were there in Hoi An several times best fish and shrimp makets in all of I Corps.
    Ooops! I think I was guilty of missing that to. Our compound was nestled just across the valley from 1st Mar Div, next door to Dog Patch. I think the closest ville, was "Da Son", I think that was the ville, to our right, as we looked through the wire and across the rice paddy. I know that one night there was a firefight across that rice paddy that lasted a good half hour. Word we got the next day was that an ARVN unit on one side of the paddy, spotted a PF unit on the other side and they opened up on each other.

It was colorful from our vantage point, nothing coming our way!

Semper FI

The split off was south of Danang where the road forked the right fork I don't know where it went,the left fork continue to Hoa Phouc Village/District we always turn left off on HWY 1 then crossed the bridge to next four corners where we went right on to 607 to Hoi An.

Seems like a long trip just to go 30 miles

The split off was south of Danang where the road forked the right fork I don't know where it went,the left fork continue to Hoa Phouc Village/District we always turn left off on HWY 1 then crossed the bridge to next four corners where we went right on to 607 to Hoi An.

Seems like a long trip just to go 30 miles
    That does sound right, yes, it does seem like a heck of a long ways, for a 30 mile trip.

I was there in '64-'65, at that time the patch was on limits, had a blast there when I was in town, Some of the best treats, and drinks out of a bottle that we popped the cap off. Seen the QC's grab a national and pick him up threw him in the back of their jeep, and whaled the tar out of him. Not a pretty site, they used their batons on the guy, but then he must have deserved it.

If you traveled toward Hill 327 from 4 corners you would go about 150 yards take the first turn right (trail/entrance) thru the ville it ziz-zag north about two miles all the way to highway 1. We were about 1 mile north of Phouc Toung in the village of Hoa An. Once you made the right turn there was 1 Squad of Marine in Phouc Toung(Dogpatch). We were the other squad about 1 mile north of them between 4 corners and FLC. Dod patch was off limits then except for the two Squads of Marines living within this AO.

If I could only go back !

Thread Information